Bush to challenge Iran by summer.

Magus

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 05:15 pm
Amrica was offered a "flip-flop" alternative... and ended up with FLOP.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 05:22 pm
Magus wrote:
Amrica was offered a "flip-flop" alternative... and ended up with FLOP.

GREAT! :wink: Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Thomas Hayden

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 06:14 am
About tax reforms, it is not as simple as taking money from the wealthy and spending it. Just take look at this article by Martin Feldstein (president of the National Bureau of Economic research) The 110,000$ question. It explains the economic consequences of raising taxes( as John Kerry would have done if he had won the elections). It is available at nber.org/Feldstein/

About SS fix. Today it works quite well. Tomorrow it won't work so well. The day after tomorrow we will be willing to find some money to afford pensions and Medicare. By 2040, if the system is not given a radical reform, our generation will have to face very serious structural economic problems.

According to your posts it looks like Bush is the incarnation of evil. Let me remind you what happened on 11th September- by then, Bush government was developing a non intervention foreign policy. The terrorists attacked us just because their countries of origin are now adopting the way of life which America stands for: democracy, growing economic and social development and civil rights for women. The fundamentalist Islamic governments (such as Iran or Syria) are now supporting the terrorist network. They know that freedom will ultimately mean the end of their despotic rule. It is as simple as this: they hate us because they hate freedom. And they will stop at nothing to destroy, not only America, but the entire free world, although the French have not yet realized. So, if Iran is reluctant to negotiate and intends to get nuclear weapons, why not a pre-emptive decapitation strikes? I'd rather a strike than an Islamic hard-line regime possessing the atomic bomb.
0 Replies

part time

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:50 pm
Iran would be the easiest of places to invade. In fact we probably don't need to do anything but support or incite an overthrthow of the current government. The majority of the Iran populationsupports the US involvement in Iraq. Ask the Iranian US population, they are contantly on Con talk radio wondering can we be next.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:37 am
Welcome to A2K Thomas Hayden and Part time!
Let neither the nattering nabobs of negativity nor the discouraging divas of doubt deter you. Take notice how the anti-hard-line arguments seem to indicate no clue why a hard line might be necessary. They don't care. They just assume that George Bush wants blood. Millions murdered means nothing to these people. Public stoning? None of our business. Heinous oppression? Who cares. Rolling Eyes

Reza Pahlavi did On the Record with Greta Van Susteren today and was insisting that if the world came together to press for a democracy in Iran, the powers that be would switch gears and force it themselves instead of facing defeat. He seemed to think that Bush now has the credibility to force a change without force. These are exciting times we're living in. But the anti-war crowd won't care… they'll lend his words no weight whatsoever. Hard line? That could only be because Bush is a stupid cowboy, right? (And they wonder why their party becomes less relevant with each passing election. Idea)

While the doubters doubted George Bush's re-election… and doubted there would be an Iraqi election… and can't even imagine an Iranian election… they're track record for predictions speaks for itself. Boxer, Kerry and Kennedy continue to cry their eyes out as they make fools of themselves while insuring they've already reached their highest station.

In the meantime, much like the beautiful goings on in Ukraine, millions of brave Iraqis will soon defy their oppressors and vote their minds for the first time in their lives. Many don't even know what they're voting for, but their beginning to figure out it's something called Democracy. Even prominent Sunnis are expressing interest in participating in drafting the new Iraqi constitution now. It's a long row to hoe... but the truly patriotic Iraqis are way ahead of schedule if you measure their progress against the fledgling democracy that was once the United States of America. Very exciting times indeed.
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/party/party-smiley-017.gif
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:36 am
Iran's Youth Push Islamic Limits

TEHRAN, Jan. 25, 2005

The Iranian students storming the U.S. Embassy in Tehran in 1979 became icons of worldwide Islamic revolution.

Twenty-five years later, Iran's youth is rebelling again. But as CBS News Correspondent Elizabeth Palmer reports, this time against the Islamic government itself.

Fully 60 percent of Iranians are under the age of 30, and they have had enough of strict Islamic rule. Everywhere there are signs that the religious authorities are losing control.

Especially for the young, personal behavior in public can be very political. You can easily see some of these small acts of rebellion in a place that would look familiar to any American teenager, like a shopping mall.

Women let their scarves slip back to show their hair. They show off their makeup, tight coats and high heels. Even five years ago, a couple holding hands in public could have been arrested and flogged. The mullahs hope that turning a blind eye to this minor defiance will relieve pressure for major change.

That pressure did explode in 1999. Students rioted and were brutally put down.

It was a grim lesson for Azadeh Shirzad who helps run her family's print shop. She remembers what happened to friends who got involved.

"Some of them were arrested and some of them were killed and you know? I am myself ... I am afraid of that," she says.

Islamic morality police tend to stay away from trendy places like fancy cappuccino bars. But even here, people would talk to CBS News only if they could hide their faces.

One couple says that if the police do raid the café, or even private parties, young people just bribe them to go away.

A party, they say, would cost $100.

It adds up to a cash bonus for the police but a long-term cost for the government and growing contempt for the Islamic state.

That worries mullah Mohammed al Abtahi. Until September, he was one of Iran's vice presidents. He quit, disgusted by the corrupt and reactionary regime. He's traded in politics for computer blogging.

On his popular Web site, al Abtahi posts irreverent photos of establishment figures - like one of Iran's nuclear minister picking his nose - that he takes with his cell phone.

"Our young people are as well informed as young people in China or Britain or America. Anyone who tries to limit them is bound to fail," he says.

The hardliners can always launch another temporary crackdown. But in the end, the 1970s Islamic revolution seems certain to be undone by its own children.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:41 pm
You are a slave. Your body, your time, your very breath belong to a farmer in 1850s Maryland. Six long days a week you tend his fields and make him rich. You have never tasted freedom. You never expect to. And yet . . . your soul lights up when you hear whispers of attempted escape. Freedom means a hard, dangerous trek. Do you try it?

In 1865 Slavery is abolished by the 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution.
(Fast-forward 100 years)

Separate drinking fountains for whites and blacks. "Colored balconies" in movie theaters. Seats in the back of the bus. Soldiers called out to protect little children who were just trying to go to school.
http://www.africanaonline.com/Graphic/civil_rights_freedom_march_1.jpgIt may be difficult to believe these were examples of conditions in United States less than 40 years ago. The struggle to change these conditions, and to win equal protection under the law for citizens of all races, formed the backdrop of Martin Luther King's pitifully short life. The battle for voting rights, supposedly established in 1870 with the 15th Amendment, weren't really a reality until 1971 when the 26th Amendment cut through oppressive loopholes.

So, 13 years after becoming free we get a constitution. Almost a 100 years later we figure out that all men really are equal and should be treated accordingly. It takes almost 100 years after that to guarantee it. Talk about a long fight! Shocked Was it worth it?

What am I missing here? Ohhhhhhhhh ya.

Abigail Adams to John Adams wrote:

March 31, 1776

I long to hear that you have declared an independency, and by the way, in the new code of laws which I suppose it will be necessary for you to make, I desire you would remember the ladies ...Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to foment a Rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.
It is said that years later John teased her about the language "all men are created equal". Sad

(Fast forward about 140 years)
Alice Paul is passed the baton and runs for freedom. For demonstrating for Women's right to vote she is imprisoned on three occasions. Even then she will not give up the fight and went on a hunger strike from within the prison. Crying or Very sad

http://womenshistory.about.com/library/graphics/alicepaul1.jpg
Above we see Alice Paul, wearing "suffragette white," as she toasts the 1920 passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Smile After the victory, Paul became involved in the struggle to introduce and pass an Equal Rights Amendment that would take another 50 years.

In Iran today, just like the rest of the world, there are millions of people who need and deserve our help, as they pursue freedom. Where Alice Paul spent her entire adult life fighting for Civil Rights, too often, the women of Iran often don't even have human rights. Of course, this isn't an easy problem to solve. It wasn't anywhere else either. America fought no war that saw more American's killed than our own civil war. But, that was work that had to be done. The victims of horrible oppression around the globe are no less human than anyone else and ignoring their plight because of the difficulty of the task, is the logic that lasted all the years from Abigail Adams to Alice Paul to Martin Luther King and still exists today in the minds of the misguided do-gooder who thinks even now that freedom isn't worth the fight. Sad

Fortunately, there are brave men and women who see things differently and continue to force the evolution of the human race despite the incessant whining from the doubters. Very exciting times indeed.
(Some shameless plagiarism up there. :wink:)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:43 pm
So, to sum up, the good things we've accomplished in the past excuse all the bad things we're doing now, b/c it's all part of the process. Gotcha.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:31 pm
Cyclo, dear, you're sounding a bit depressed these days. Maybe a little vacation is in order?

O'Bill....really great post, as usual.

Finally remembered who your new pic reminds me of! You've got a bit of a Patrick Swayze thing going on, methinks Smile (That's a compliment, by the way LOL).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:39 pm
Hmmmm.... Made me think Bill was older than he looked in the cheesehead photo. It hid the grey... :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:46 pm
Thanks JW... on both counts. :wink: I'd hate to think I put that much thought into that post only to have it trolled by a doubter.
(I re-read what I wrote there and can only conclude Cyclops either didn't read it, or is utterly incapable of seeing another perspective without perverting it in some idiotic way. If he really thinks that "sums it up", Rolling Eyes..)

36 McG. Good age, really. I'm young enough to still see the passionate boy that I used to be. But I'm old enough to say I got a good look at the other side.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:51 pm
I'm not discounting the successes of the past, or the fact that the march towards greater freedom and equality should and is moving on. But I don't think going to war in order to bring that freedom to people who really aren't asking for it is in the same spirit as the accomplishments you listed. The fact that you equate the two shows how out of touch you are with the realities of our presence in the Middle East; our purpose for being there is not for the liberation of Iraqi people, the spreading of freedom, or any of that nonsense. It's about money, power, and control.

Wake up! The way you want things to be has nothing to do with the way they are!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:03 pm
CYCLO.......sing along Smile

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance

I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)

I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

Dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:13 pm
Don't know the tune, unfortunately. But I do know that dancing smilely is pretty lame.

I'm sure, however, the song will bring solace to the families of dead Americans and Iraqis who are just a part of the progress we're making.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:16 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Thanks JW... on both counts. :wink: I'd hate to think I put that much thought into that post only to have it trolled by a doubter.
(I re-read what I wrote there and can only conclude Cyclops either didn't read it, or is utterly incapable of seeing another perspective without perverting it in some idiotic way. If he really thinks that "sums it up", Rolling Eyes..)

36 McG. Good age, really. I'm young enough to still see the passionate boy that I used to be. But I'm old enough to say I got a good look at the other side.

36, eh? I'll be 36 this year. I agree that it is a good age.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 04:12 pm
Isn't it usually the elitist's that like to remind us that those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it? It' funny (not ha ha funny) how some people only wish to remember the failures... but can't be bothered to examine the sacrifice that usually accompanies success. Anything that even hints at success has to be down played and marginalized while any hint of hardship needs to be exaggerated into a doomsday quagmire. How narrow-minded and pessimistic must one be before marginalizing the importance of a first time free election? Do they really not know how hard freedom has always been to achieve?

(Hint: Read JW's frequent posts about Iranian students, for relevancy reference before making yet another idiotic summation. Idea)

In 1964, 650 members of the Student Nonviolent Co-ordinating Committee went to Mississippi to help African Americans register to vote. One student wrote to his parents explaining what happened in the county of Milestoon when they attempted to help blacks register:

We got about 14 Negroes to go to the court house with the intention of registering to vote. Sheriff Smith greeted the party with a six shooter drawn from his pocket, and said "Okay, who's first?" Most of the Negroes remained cautiously quiet. After several seconds a man who had never before been a leader stepped up to the Sheriff, smiled and said, "I'm first, Hartman Turnbow". All registration applications were permitted to be filled out and all were judged illiterate. The next week, Turnbow's house was bombed with Molotov cocktails. When the Turnbows left the burning house, they were shot at. A couple of days later, Turnbow was accused of having bombed his own house which wasn't insured. Sheriff Smith was the one witness against them. Mr. Turnbow was convicted.

Hmmmm, oppression at gunpoint, houses being bombed and a brave, brave man standing up for himself... should we assume he didn't want help? Don't his very actions of showing up at the poll indicate he does? Wasn't he no doubt hoping beyond all hope that good men would see his plight and join him in his struggle? ... (HELLO!)

(Fast forward 40years)
Title: This Week in Washington with Congressman Jo Bonner
Date: 10/14/2004

Democratic elections in Afghanistan

October 9, 2004, was a remarkable day in the history of Afghanistan. For the first time ever in that nation, a presidential election was held which allowed for the participation of the general population.

Prior to that time, the closest the country had come to having any sort of elected government was 40 years ago, when a limited number of parliamentary elections were held during the 1960s. In fact, beginning with the invasion by the former Soviet Union in 1979, Afghanistan has experienced 25 years of almost constant violence that allowed little if any opportunity for democratic elections.

The presidential election held earlier last week marks the latest step in the birth of a new form of government in Afghanistan. Based on estimates from the U.N. Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), 10.5 million Afghans registered to vote before the close of the registration period in early September. Of this number, nearly 42% were women.

This process, as well as the parliamentary elections planned for April 2005, has been underway for nearly three years, dating back to a period shortly after the defeat of the Taliban by American forces and troops from allied nations around the world.

Witnessing the birth of a government

Just under two months after the October 2001 invasion of Afghanistan - and only three months after the terrorist attacks in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania - representatives of the major Afghan factions gathered in Bonn, Germany. The purpose of this conference was to develop a roadmap towards a new and stable form of representative government in Kabul.

On December 5 of that year, members of these individual factions formed a temporary 30-member council which was authorized to govern until the approval of a new national constitution and the holding of national elections. Hamid Karzai, a leader in the Pashtun faction, was chosen to serve as chairman of this interim government.

Through these actions at what became known as the "Bonn Conference," an entire nation was put on the road to a form of government that had never before been seen or attempted in Afghanistan.

Between December 13, 2003, and January 4, 2004, over 500 delegates began to debate the form and content of the proposed Afghan constitution. In a nation like the United States, where our form of government has been in place for 219 years (since 1789's constitutional convention), it is difficult for us to comprehend just how difficult - and how rewarding - it can be to work to building a new democratic government from the ground up. (Note the span 13 year span Idea)

The new Afghan constitution, as approved by the delegates at the convention, contains some remarkable provisions that are a testament to the tremendous effort put forth by a people striving to live in a free society. The provisions include the following:

-The establishment of the positions of an elected president and two vice presidents. Each serves a five-year term, with a two-term limit for individuals elected president. One of the two vice presidents would succeed to the presidency upon the incumbent's death, and the national parliament has the ability to conduct impeachment proceedings.

-The creation of a parliament made up of two chambers. The first, the 249-seat House of People, is to be fully elected by Afghan voters. The upper house, called the House of Elders, is comprised of men and women selected by the president (1/3), provincial councils (1/3), and district councils (1/3).

-The creation of political parties.

One of the most remarkable accomplishments resulting from the constitutional convention is the tremendous degree of participation being granted to women in Afghanistan. As most of you are aware, Middle Eastern and Islamic governments around the world traditionally limit the role of women, and very little participation in the political process is allowed.

With the new Afghan government, however, it is required that 50 percent of those selected by the president to serve in the House of Elders be women - amounting to nearly 17 percent of the membership in that body. In the lower house, a minimum of 68 members (two from each of the 34 provinces in Afghanistan) should be women, giving them a minimum of 25 percent of membership.(That's better than it is here, folks.)

Such a strong level of participation by women in a style of government rarely seen in that part of the world is nothing short of remarkable.

The presidential elections of October 9, 2004, while not perfect, went (based on many eyewitness accounts) very well. Nearly 400 outside observers watched the heavy turnout, and the few complaints about voting irregularities that were raised by many of the 15 candidates for president are being investigated by an independent commission. The results of the election are expected to be available by the end of this month.

Regardless of the outcome, all of the candidates in the election and the delegates at the constitutional convention should be congratulated for all of the hard work they have done to this point.

Most important of all, however, the millions of Afghanis who went to the polls should be given a great deal of credit for ignoring potential threats to their safety and casting their votes for a free government and a brighter future for their country.

My staff and I work for the people of south Alabama. Let us know whenever we can be of assistance.
For release the week of Thursday, October 14, 2004. For more information please contact Matt Rhodes at (202)225-4931.
Ah, but Bush just wants oil and money and power so none of the above matters right? Rolling Eyes OH, that's right... Bin Ladin, killer of thousands, used to live there. So maybe there freedom does matter a little... but Saddam, killer of MILLIONS didn't kill Americans... so the Iraqi freedom doesn't matter. So what if millions of people will vote in the first free election of there life. Rolling Eyes

0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 08:19 pm
Quote:
Most important of all, however, the millions of Afghanis who went to the polls should be given a great deal of credit for ignoring potential threats to their safety and casting their votes for a free government and a brighter future for their country.

Some Afghan Farmers Trade Poppy for Wheat

STEPHEN GRAHAM

Associated Press

SURKH ROD, Afghanistan - The top U.N. drug official is heading to Afghanistan to check out reports that farmers are heeding government calls for a "holy war" on the rampant drug trade by slashing opium cultivation.

Foreign and Afghan officials are forecasting a drop of between 30 percent and 70 percent in this year's crop, as once verdant expanses of poppies are being sown with wheat instead.

In eastern Nangarhar province and southern Helmand, poppy production could be down by more than three-quarters this year, the officials said, though reliable statistics are not yet available.

The reports suggest at least an initial response to President Hamid Karzai's U.S.-sponsored campaign against the illegal Afghan narcotics industry, which last year supplied an estimated 87 percent of the world's opium, the raw material for heroin.

"I want to see it with my own eyes," said Antonio Maria Costa, executive director of the Vienna, Austria-based U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime, as he departed Tuesday on a five-day mission to Afghanistan.

The drop in poppy cultivation - seen in one traditional opium-producing region toured by The Associated Press last week - is increasing pressure on the international community to deliver hundreds of millions of dollars in aid for impoverished Afghans who have survived until now by growing opium poppies, but are cooperating with authorities in switching to other crops.

"The first priority which we are supporting is self-restraint and self-eradication, and it is happening amazingly well," Rural Development Minister Haneef Atmar said. "The risks are now too high for (the farmers), and they hope the government will protect them and help them."

Skeptics say drought, disease and falling opium prices - not Karzai's eradication program - are responsible for the drop in cultivation.

Costa, who will meet with Karzai and other senior government ministers, cautioned this week that it could take a "generation or more" to solve the opium problem.

Poppy production soared after the U.S. invasion in 2001 that ousted the Taliban militia, which had curtailed the flourishing drug trade.

The United Nations said that although bad weather and plant disease significantly reduced the opium yield last year, the total output was about 4,200 tons. It valued the trade at $2.8 billion, or more than 60 percent of the country's 2003 gross domestic product, and warned that Afghanistan was turning into a "narco-state."

Under pressure from the United States and Europe, Karzai has called for "jihad," or holy war, against the drug industry, which is believed to benefit guerrillas, warlords and corrupt officials.

Foreign diplomats give some of the credit to Mohammed Daoud, a former militia commander and the government's top anti-narcotics cop. Daoud, a deputy interior minister, summoned provincial police chiefs to Kabul and told them they would be fired if they didn't halt poppy cultivation.

Daoud said in an interview he expected cultivation to fall by 50 percent to 70 percent this year.

A Western official involved in counternarcotics was more cautious, saying the decrease could be 30 percent or more.

Costa's representative in Afghanistan, Doris Buddenburg, said there seemed to be a reduction, but cautioned that production might also have shifted. Farmers in colder regions have yet to plant their fields at all, she added.

The U.S. government is paying thousands of people in Helmand and Nangarhar $3 a day to clean irrigation ditches and repair roads instead of planting poppy.

Atmar, the rural development minister, said he expected about $1 billion in aid this year from the United States and the European Union.

A drive last week around Nangarhar province found terraced fields planted with knee-high wheat or vegetables. Provincial officials said poppies were being grown only in remote valleys near the Pakistani border and insisted they would destroy the fields.

Farmers in two traditional growing areas of Nangarhar told an AP reporter they stopped planting poppies because they were told to by powerful local landowners and security officials.

"It was good business, but they said we should stop, and wait and see," said Abdul Wahid, a bearded sharecropper resting under a stand of mulberry trees next to his fields.

"If we get help, maybe it's gone for good. If not, we'll plant again."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:05 pm
Let's just hope we come through for them with the dough. Our record blows on all things drug related because the thugs usually make a more compelling argument. :sad: I for one don't blame the farmers one iota for getting by the only way they can. I watched a documentary about Columbian Cocaine and it's the same nonsense. Anti-drug laws-> make profits illegal-> create outlaws. The dirt-poor farmers barely get by no matter what they grow. Take away the prohibition-> and you take away the outlaw-> so you take away the warlord. We probably have more drug enforcement in this country per capita of any country on earth... and collectively they've proven prohibition is an utter failure. I'd bet no one in Florida is more than 3 persons removed from anything they want. Meanwhile, any drug (effect) I want and could get from my doctor anyway? This is idiocy. Bush & Co. is dead wrong about this one

But, since it is illegal and consequently one of the measuring sticks, good on them for trying!
0 Replies