Texas Lawmaker Unveils Child Obesity Bill

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:13 pm
Texas Lawmaker Unveils Child Obesity Bill
January 18, 2005 10:04 PM EST
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas school districts would be required to include the body mass index of students as part of their regular report cards under a bill introduced Tuesday by a lawmaker seeking to link healthy minds with healthy bodies.

When the measurement, which calculates body fat based on height and weight, indicates a student is overweight, the school would provide parents with information about links between increased body fat and health problems, said Democratic state Sen. Leticia Van de Putte.

"We should be just as concerned with students' physical health and performance as we are with their academic performance," she said.

More than a third of school-age children in Texas are overweight or obese, according to the Texas Department of Agriculture.

Arkansas implemented a similar law during the 2003-2004 school year, although the information is sent to parents separately from report cards.

Eric Allen, a spokesman for the Association for Texas Professional Educators, said most parents don't need to be told their child is overweight.

"It doesn't have a place on a report card," he said.

My question is this
Doesnt this embarass the students? Yes health IS important and obesity is a HUGE problem. But doesnt this law put the spot light on kids who we know are already teased, embarassed, taunted as it is? Just on a diffrent level?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,407 • Replies: 19
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:27 pm
I think they should take those resources and spend them on extended recess, after school playgroups and better city planning. Really, what do they hope to accomplish? Are there any obese kids who don't know they are fat? This is just a symptom of a much larger public health problem and an inappropriate distraction for schools.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:30 pm
oh god...

"Hey, in case you were blind, your kids FAT!"

Nice.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:33 pm
I agree.
Did youknow that the funding for Physical Education in texas schools has dropped 30%? knocking out PE class wich is usually the only physical thing kids do in school anymore , to once a week only ...in some schools.. in others it is non existant.
I have heard that PE has been dropped or suffered a HUGE decrease in funding in many other places too.
They money that is being spent on this ' testing' and ulitmaly revamping the report cards can go to other things. Singling the kids out and hoping that shame will MAKE them eat diffrent and loose the weight is awful. These children learn from thier parents the eating habits they have. And these children do not have the ability to buy thier own foods , nor the ability to make the right choices when thier houses are loaded with sugary foods.
Hell... why not point out the fat parents?
THEY have the ability to make the choice
THEY HAVE the money to buy foods
THEY are the ones feeding these children
Put them in the spotlight.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:43 pm
I agree shewolf. Kids need exercise. If they spend at least 8 hours a day in, getting to, or coming home from school, and there is no PE, when are they supposed to exercise? It's true that we are a junk food nation but face it, if kids get exercise they 1) don't crave as much junk and 2) can burn off sugary snacks. I'm just so peeved at the gall. We cut funding for physical education, but we'll spend money on a program whose sole purpose is to point out to you that your kid isn't healthy. Clearly, the cause of childhood obesity is not due to a lack of information. BTW, I believe that the reduced funding for PE is a nation wide trend, as well as the elimination of recess for the younger ones.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
of course, this information will be available to the insurance companies so they can raise rates on "obesity health risk" individuals and families, and then they in turn can tithe more to the lawmakers and politicians who support their bullshit money making schemes and the sheep will continue to be shorn because they line up for it and allow it....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:03 pm
I just don't see how they can even claim an interest here. Children are required to have yearly medical exams while in school, are they not? Here anyway, your doctor has to fill out 'school forms' every year. What a friggin' waste of time duplicating the effort.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:06 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I just don't see how they can even claim an interest here. Children are required to have yearly medical exams while in school, are they not? Here anyway, your doctor has to fill out 'school forms' every year. What a friggin' waste of time duplicating the effort.

follow the money and the profit incentive....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:08 pm
Yeah, I know, I know. I was trying not to be so cynical, but well, what else could it be? Has the program proven helpful in Arizona? I don't think so. Does it make sense that the proposed program will curb childhood obesity? Not really. That pretty much leaves us with your explanation.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:10 pm
Try this on for size (and supersize it): Some local schools are cutting recess entirely to spend more time in the classroom. All in the name of No Child Left Behind.

Got to bring up those test scores!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:12 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Try this on for size (and supersize it): Some local schools are cutting recess entirely to spend more time in the classroom. All in the name of No Child Left Behind.

Got to bring up those test scores!

like I said...follow the money....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:49 pm
Is it just barely possible that Texas lawmakers have too much time on their hands?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:53 pm
BINGO roger.
Lets see how THEY pass this fat test.

I am still in favor of making the parents the spotlight of the night when it comes to obese children. Like i said, it isnt the children who are buying Froot Loops, its the parents.
THEN the parents have the gall to point at thier kids and say " you are fat".
ug.
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 06:52 pm
Wow, another person who thinks only Government can solve all your problems.

I can understand having a goal to improve health, however including it on the report card is WRONG.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 07:23 pm
Great. Now the shootings in schools will be over candy bars, not crack cocaine.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 09:25 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:02 pm
"Your Child is Fat."

NO ****.

I hate all the bullshit politics of education. Educators should educate the children. Reading, writing, math, etc. Educators should not determine whether or not children are fat. That's what doctors are for.

If the schools wanted to do something useful they could provide edible cafeteria food so kids wouldn't have to eat potato chips for lunch, and more interesting exercise programs.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 12:38 pm
My thoughts exactly.
All the money they are going to put into this change in the reports that come from school should be placed into more veggies at lunch, less soda machines, and returned to the PE program.
But.. law makers dont SEE it that way. They think it is a personal fault.
Well.. what is a child supposed to do about nutrition if all the people who provide for them ( parents, school lunch etc..) provide nothing but ****?!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:07 pm
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
I'm okay with teachers discussing the problem with parents, or sending them a concerned letter with ideas.

What I'm not okay with is a stamp of weight on a report card. It is different than grades, and putting it in that location sends the wrong message.

I don't like schools that eliminate vending machines, because they don't provide good alternatives. Most kids would rather skip lunch than eat cafeteria food (if adults won't eat it, why do they expect kids to eat it?). I would rather kids eat junk for lunch than nothing at all.

My high school used chicken puss to help hold together the chicken nuggets (I'm not lying about the qulity of cafeteria food here.) And, I am not lying here, it is a very good school. There is just little to no care taken in cafeterias because there is no competition. They don't have to make an effort, adults don't even eat there. Actually the cafeteria in Jester on my college campus had the same problem. No competition, forced payment of meals, and the nastiest food in the nation (voted so.)

Our exercise programs were good at that school, with dance classes and a variety of sports. However, in middle school, gym class was running around the gym in circles.

Another good idea is to encuorage teacher sponsorship of after-school clubs. There are lots of physical things: Lawg, sports, dance, etc. that kids love to do with their friends after class, but need organization.
0 Replies