Love or parents?

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 01:38 am
Hi,
I am from south India where girls are married off at an average age of 25 through arranged alliances. I am in relationship for nearly a year now. I am very much in love with my boyfriend and he loves me too. We are very good together. But the problem is with our parents because we are from different communities and I am 25 while he is younger to me by7months. My parents want me to get married soon otherwise they are worried about societal pressures and whether I would get any match if it got too late. When they came to know about my boyfriend, at first they opposed it,but some how accepted reluctantly and asked me to arrange a meeting or a phone call with his parents.
The main problem starts here. His parents are not okay with this because of the above stated issues. And when he insisted, they said since he has still more time to get married (avg age for marriage for boys is 28 in our society), they will not discuss about our issue until then and asked me to wait if I want. My parents are very much worried about my future and they are telling all they want is assurance from the boy's family. My father had got heart attack and he had undergone open heart surgery. I lost my will and hope after this. My boyfriend initially asked me to marry as per father's wishes because his situation is very bad and we should not hurt our parents so bad. But then somehow my parents waited for some more time. Meanwhile I asked my bf to convince his parents. But he said his parents won't accept now and they will need more time as they said. And he is also not ready to get married very early because is now concentrating on his career and some Mba for higher goals. I knew this earlier and told my parents to delay my marriage until he is ready. My parents are asking mainly for his parents nod and assurance to wait until he is settled. But his parents are so stubborn about their opinion, sometimes i feel like they are doing this only to make me go away from their son's life. All they are saying is if i wish i can wait, they won't give any assurance to my parents. And if it is time when my bf is 27 or so and we are still in relation then they will think about our relation.
My boyfriend says if he has done mba and settled (it may take some 2years) he will convince his parents definitely. Until then we somehow have to manage. My parents are devasted. I have 2 options now. Either to wait for him for 2 years which I want to but i am very much worried about my father 's health or I have to break up but we are so perfect for each other. I don't want to lose him. Please give me an advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,851 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 07:27 am
Does your culture recognize engagement?

If so, insist on a very nice ring.

But ...
It sounds like your BF's parents have immense influence over him. This will not stop after you marry. They will run your life and interfer with decisions and family plans. Decide if you really want to marry this man who will not stand up to his family.
caid

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 05:59 pm
@PUNKEY,
for your situation, nobody can decide better than yourself. for any heart decision, there is always a lot of good and bad side. it will always depend of all your option and your situation and your future will be greatly be affected by it. as a common westerner, i am used to have the possibility to choice who i will marry without taking account on the opignon or my close kind. but i am well aware this is not the case everywhere. sometime it may be best to take into consideration the opinion of the parents. of you really want to be with your actual bf rather than the suitor proposed by your parents, prove them that you bf is a better choice or ignore their opinion and go with him. if you ignore your parents opinion, you may break the relation with them, making them change their opinion is better. make your bf look good. make him find a good job, get a good education and position in the society. it may be hard but it wroth it. if not, just make your bf get close to your parents in the hope he will win their favors out of charisma. in every culture, the approbation of the parents are important even in the westerner culture like mine. the only difference is here, the approbation is more "optional"
0 Replies

ashishh

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 01:58 am
i think first you need analyze all the aspects then you have to take decision. Dont listen to anyone just ask the question to yourself because no one can take the better decision than yourself. All in all its your life.
0 Replies