Compassion...Bush and Gonzales in Texas

blatham

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:14 pm
The following is a quote from a piece by Sister Helen Prejean in the latest NY Review of Books on her experiences in Texas during the time that then Governor Bush, with Gonzales, sent off so many people to execution.
Quote:
In his autobiography, Bush claimed that the pending execution of Karla Faye Tucker "felt like a huge piece of concrete...crushing me." But in an unguarded moment in 1999 while traveling during the presidential campaign, Bush revealed his true feelings to the journalist Tucker Carlson. Bush mentioned Karla Faye Tucker, who had been executed the previous year, and told Carlson that in the weeks immediately before the execution, Bianca Jagger and other protesters had come to Austin to plead for clemency for her. Carlson asked Bush if he had met with any of the petitioners and was surprised when Bush whipped around, stared at him, and snapped, "No, I didn't meet with any of them." Carlson, who until that moment had admired Bush, said that Bush's curt response made him feel as if he had just asked "the dumbest, most offensive question ever posed." Bush went on to tell him that he had also refused to meet Larry King when he came to Texas to interview Tucker but had watched the interview on television. King, Bush said, asked Tucker difficult questions, such as "What would you say to Governor Bush?"

What did Tucker answer? Carlson asked.

"Please," Bush whimpered, his lips pursed in mock desperation, "please, don't kill me."

Carlson was shocked.[4] He couldn't believe Bush's callousness and reasoned that his cruel mimicry of the woman whose death he had authorized must have been sparked by anger over Karla Faye Tucker's remarks during the King interviews. When King had asked her what she planned to ask Governor Bush, Karla Faye had said she thought that if Bush approved her execution, he would be succumbing to election-year pressure from pro-death penalty voters.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17670
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 516 • Replies: 6
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 07:22 am
What is your point?

How much compassion did she provide to the 2 people she killed with a pick-ax?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 07:36 am
True. And let's also note that Bush and Gonzales did NOT sit down to eat her cooked remains after the execution. Compassion without bounds.

ps...don't read the linked article.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 07:41 am
Again, what is the point except to acknowledge the Sister is against the Death Penalty???

What a surprise!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:32 am
woiyo
I'm afraid I do not permit the capitalization of the word sister on any of my threads. Please edit.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
Sister Helen Prejean
Sister Helen Prejean is a member of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Medaille and lives in Louisiana. She gives on average 140 lectures a year nationwide, seeking to encourage discussion of the death penalty. She is the author of Dead Man Walking. The article in this issue is adapted from her new book, The Death of Innocents:

It's your link pal.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 05:10 pm
bump
0 Replies