Joining a group of people at a party

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 01:32 pm
At work, we were talking about going places alone. The conversation was started by someone not wanting to go skiing by themself.

Now if you were to go to a party or some other social gathering alone (assumming you knew no one at the gathering). How would you go about mingling? How would you join a group of 2 or 3 people? Would you look for other people who are there alone? and what kind of things could you say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 675 • Replies: 1
No top replies

nighthawk

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 07:12 pm
Thats a tough one, im quite a shy peson and hate bein in situations like this.

I guess my priority would be to dive straight to the booze table, which while quenching the desires within me, serves another purpose. Most people tend to go to the bar on their own, either getting their own drinks or getting the round in. This presents a perfect oppertunity to get folk on their own and chat to them. Next stop would then be the buffet, again cause I never turn down free food, but because ill no doubt meet someone there and start chatting.

Next start wandering, if you find someone on their own chat to them, but try and reposition them so your near a couple of groups, and listen into the conversations while chatting to the person on their own. As soon as you find a group with an interesting conversation, jump in and offer your views.

I guess thats what I would do in practice, although actually doing it is something entirely different. Id probably just end up drifting between booze and food until the end of the night Very Happy
0 Replies