What is Evangelism?

brianjakub

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 03:56 pm
@izzythepush,
Ok lets talk about a different country. Is there there one you prefer over the USA because there is not world government yet. If there was i think it should adopt the US constitution.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:09 pm
@brianjakub,
I don't want your system, or your constitution. Never in a thousand years.

That's so typical of you though, trying to force your system on others.

I don't think that anyone should be allowed to serve as a judge who isn't a qualified lawyer, for starters, but there's a lot about your system I wouldn't want
brianjakub

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Neither of us live in a Theocracy, the church does not have the final say on how society governs itself.
I agree. Do you think church going believers should have an equal say with secular humanists in how society governs itself.
brianjakub

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:36 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Words change all the time, defining what words mean is one of the main functions of the court it's called interpretation. That's why there's things called test cases.

Changing the meaning of words on the fly makes it hard for a society to trust the impartially of judges to decide cases justly.

dictionary
Quote:
de·fine
dəˈfīn/Submit
verb
state or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of.
To define a word you must state exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of it.

Quote:
in·ter·pret
inˈtərprət/Submit
verb
explain the meaning of (information, words, or actions).
You can't interpret a word without defining it first.

Quote:
judge

verb
form an opinion or conclusion about.
"scientists were judged according to competence"
synonyms: form the opinion, conclude, decide; More
A judge does not define or interpret. He draws a logical conclusion by decide a case as it pertains to the definition established by a legislative body using dictionaries written when the law was made. A judge should use the same dictionary when deciding a constitutional point that was used by the people who wrote the constitution so it is decided correctly according to the authors otherwise the judge could be changing the meaning and the decision that is truly just.

What's marriage going to mean in twenty more years. What is African American or Christian going to mean. Should I constantly be testing the waters. Maybe I will have to quit being a Christian if it is defined as being
being an abuser of people be using older definitions of the words of the English language.
brianjakub

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That's so typical of you though, trying to force your system on others.
I said I think we should aodopt the US constitution. If it ever happens something will be adopted. Since when was a belief that was given as an opinion considered force? Do you think Christians should have input on the decision. Should Christians be allowed to be voting citizens in some future world government? What system do you like?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:43 pm
@brianjakub,
I don't live in a society only populated by church goers and secular humanists, thank ****. Everybody has a vote.
brianjakub

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:45 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I don't live in a society only populated by church goers and secular humanists, thank ****. Everybody has a vote.
Including fundamental bible toting Christians. do you think they should have a vote?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:50 pm
@brianjakub,
Hardly on the fly, these things have been changing over time, as they always do.

Your narrow definition of marriage is not that of society's at large. Certainly not over here anyway.

You can huff and puff all you want, but in the it's a good thing, makes the World a more tolerant and accepting place.

The same sort of nonsense was spouted when women got the vote and when the slaves were freed. Nobody pays any attention to it now, and in a hundred years' time nobody will pay any attention to the opponents of same sex marriage.

If you don't like the idea of same sex marriage then don't marry another man, nobody's forcing you to.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:53 pm
@brianjakub,
We were talking about the courts in general. You were the one who made it specific, and now you're talking about World government. I'd rather stick to generalities.

It would be nice to talk to someone who doesn't automatically assume that his values are global.
brianjakub

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 05:56 pm
@izzythepush,
I chose not to determine my own values.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 01:05 am
@brianjakub,
That's a cop out. You made the choice, and you have the hubris to think they're the only ones that matter.
brianjakub

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 08:29 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You made the choice, and you have the hubris to think. . .
First of all, confidence in knowing the Creator of the universe is better at determining values better than I am is common sense logic.

Second, why would you think that is bad?
TheCobbler

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 09:40 am
@brianjakub,
Can you please quote chapter and verse where, "Jesus defined what marriage is"?

You do know that nowhere in the Bible is an actual marriage ceremony described in any detail and you do know that Abraham called his wife Sarah "his sister"...
TheCobbler

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 09:49 am
@brianjakub,
Choosing those with lesser values is a devalue...

To reject science for biblical values is a devalue.

Devalued people voted for Trump...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 01:18 pm
@brianjakub,
You don't 'know' anything. You only know something if you've got proof. You believe something which is fair enough, but your beliefs don't give you the right to tell everyone else, including the vast majority who do not share your beliefs, what to do.

Interesting how you complain about redefining words and then use the phrase 'secular humanist.'

Quote:
Thomas More, in full Sir Thomas More, also called Saint Thomas More, (born February 7, 1478, London, England—died July 6, 1535, London; canonized May 19, 1935; feast day June 22), English humanist and statesman, chancellor of England (1529–32), who was beheaded for refusing to accept King Henry VIII as head of the Church of England. He is recognized as a saint by the Roman Catholic Church.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Thomas-More-English-humanist-and-statesman
brianjakub

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 07:27 am
@izzythepush,
He was a humanist not a secular humanist. He used the Bible and Catholic doctorine (objective idealism) instead of man’s opinion at the time (subjective idealism) along with an understanding of how the human body works best to survive (naive realism) while using what science knew at the time (naturalism) when developing his world view (ontology).

You are reasoning using naturalism based on subjective idealism. Men have many different views God has one and nature should not contradict it.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:24 am
@brianjakub,
When people say humanist now they don't mean people like Thomas More.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:35 am
@brianjakub,
Nature contradicts religion, but religion is not necessarily, "God's views".
izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 11:00 am
@TheCobbler,
And if God does have a view it's not necessarily that of the character portrayed in the Old testament.
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 05:05 pm
This church sign is making waves in that antigay baker’s backyard
https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/06/church-sign-making-waves-antigay-bakers-backyard