The woman who had no eye for small details

Sonbu

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 07:01 am
Hi friends!

I'm reading a story from William Maxwell that name is ''The woman who had no eye for small details'' and I have some problem to understand these sentences:

1. The woman who had no eye for small details.
Is it mean the woman doesn't attention to small things?

2. She had good bones and beautiful heave hair.
Is it mean she's well-built?

3. Her house was was the last house on a narrow dirt road, deep in the country.
What is the mean of deep in the country?

4. She kept peculiar hours, and ate when she was hungry.
I can't understand the first part.

5. The eyes clouded by absent-mindedness, the sweater with a button missing, worn over a dress that belonged in the rag bag.

Thanks so much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,492 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 07:31 am
@Sonbu,
Number one means that she doesn't pay attention to small things (details--which may or may not mean things).

Number two is rather silly, and I wonder if you have copied it correctly. "Good bones" would ordinarily refer to the bone structure of one's face, and would mean to have an attractively structured face. "Heave hair" is an expression I've never heard of.

Number three--"deep in the country"--means well out in the country, far away from towns or suburbs, as opposed to in the country, but close to a town or a suburb.

Number four means that she did not keep to a schedule common to most people--in the context of eating when she was hungry, it means that she did not take her meals at the times common to other people, such as breakfast early in the day, lunch at or near mid-day, and supper late in the day.

In number five you're asking two questions. The first, "eyes clouded by absent-mindedness," means that her eyes are unfocused, not looking at her immediate surroundings or activities. "Belonged in the rag bag" means clothing which is very worn, clothing so worn out that one would set it aside to be used for rags rather than clothing. Although largely figurative today, at one time, old, worn-out clothing would be set aside to be cut-up for rags, literally put in a bag for that purpose, a rag-bag.
chai2

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 08:52 am
@Setanta,
Sounds as if they are describing me.

I have excellent heave hair as well.
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 01:11 pm
@chai2,
I don't even want to ask.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 01:33 pm
Seems to be maybe a South / South East Asia term...

https://images2.imgbox.com/b1/03/Z5I8G1nV_o.jpg
0 Replies