English to Italian...

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 11:20 pm
I belong to a group whose motto is "Laid back pasta eaters" in English and have been told that it is impossible to translate and still get the gist of this in Italian . Any thoughts ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,191 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:15 pm
I just saw this question. No, I don't know the answer, but someone here will - luukas, for example, if he sees the Topic, so I'm answering to bump the question up on the list.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:12 pm
Ahh , Thank you osso.
:wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:29 pm
I don't know, either, but I'm interested...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:38 pm
I'll try it out with my italian housemate, liontamer
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:49 pm
ok, are you relaxed people who like to eat pasta? Or, do you eat pasta in a relaxed fashion? Is 'relaxed' the right word to replace 'laid back'?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:54 pm
Easy going people who like to eat pasta. I guess relaxed will work, but I think you lose a little in translation. I do appreciate the help tho.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:54 pm
A tidbit from my piazza research is that the tower at the Campo in Siena is called La Mangia del Torre after the bell ringer, Giovanni del Duccio, who was known as Mangiaguardagni, "one who eats his earnings".

So, I am thinking, Mangiapasta rilassato.

Surely that is wrong!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:11 pm
rilassato = relaxed
pigrone = lazy or lazy person
amante = in love with

options:

rilassati e mangiatori di pasta (relaxed and pasta eater)
pigroni rilassati amanti della pasta (lazy relaxed people in love with pasta - this is F's favorite translation)
or drop the pigroni above to make it relaxed (but, not lazy) people in love with pasta.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:19 pm
I think the third one comes closest to the spirit of what we are trying to get across. The second is more humorous IMO. I will run these by the club and see what they think.
Thanks for the help littlek.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:09 pm
Sure, I'll pass the thanks along.....
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:50 am
In my opinion it's more like "gli mangiatori di pasta tranquilli".

Quote:
La diffusione e il successo della pasta, infine, ha come diretta conseguenza l'affermazione della forchetta, quale indispensabile utensile per degustare tale cibo (tuttavia ancora nell'800 la pittura popolare celebra il mangiatore di pasta che afferra il cibo con le nude mani !).
0 Replies

luukas

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 03:09 pm
You could translate laid-back (= having a casual/informal attitude ?) with 'alla mano' like in 'una persona alla mano' (an easygoing person). The word 'mano' (hand) sounds even appropriate, since pasta is traditionally hand-made.
I like osso's suggestion 'mangiapasta'. The word doesn't exist but you can find similar words in the dictionairy (mangiapane, mangiapatate, mangiapolenta).
But I admit that '(i) mangiapasta alla mano' isn't the best translation I can think of.

BTW, it's il mangiatore (singular) - i mangiatori (plural)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:50 pm
Osso is known for making up words that don't exist, even in her native tongue, English. She even does this on purpose, sometimes.
0 Replies