Lack of sleeeeeeep!!!

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:15 am
This always happens on a sunday night when I know i have to be up for work on Monday morning.

I go to bed at 10.30 and Im still awake at 2.30am.

Any insomnia cures?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,162 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:50 am
This site has some good suggestions:

Quote:
Try the old remedy of warm milk. L-Tryptophan, the amino acid in warm milk has been shown in laboratory studies to help people fall asleep.

http://www.tamiu.edu/counseling/Insomniapg.htm

Do you know a foreign language, but not very well? I sometimes count in French, very very slowly. The slower the better. I have to think about the next number, and I bore myself to sleep. I don't think that I have ever gone past the mid-teens.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:53 am
Milks a no-no,Im lactose intolerent, but good advice on the site.

Have to admit I tend to lie in bed a watch TV and have a nap on a sunday so that doesnt help.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:00 am
Do they sell Lactaid in the UK? That's a brand of milk that has had the lactose removed.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:35 am
Ive found a lactose free milk substitute but it doesnt even mix with coffee,Id be wary of heating it!
0 Replies

ceara

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:37 am
phenergin

mersyndal

fioronal
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:08 am
Quote:
This always happens on a sunday night when I know i have to be up for work on Monday morning.

material girl- When I was a kid, I had insomnia on school nights. I never had problems on the weekends. Later, I realized that I had some anxiety about not being able to get up in time for school. This got me to thinking about your problem.

Are you happy at your job? Is there anything about it, that might be making you anxious? Do you dread Monday mornings?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:19 am
Phoenix sweetheart, I hate my job with an absolute passion.Im writing this from work and i post alot as I have nothing to do and i feel like im wasting my entire day/life.
But I am working on getting another job.If I get it I will lose sleep over excitement not from a feeling of regret and poitlessness.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:23 am
material girl- Great! Keep on looking until you find a job that you will love.
I would bet that your insomnia clears up by itself when you are happy with what you are doing. Good luck!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:34 am
Ta m'darlin.
I used to work part time and had a tough time sleeping because I felt bad about not using the spare time I had, then I worked full time and sleep got alot better but it seems to come and go now.

I have told myself it is better to be employed than not and the people are nice so I shouldn complain.

My all time record was when i was at college.I was still awake at 5am, I had to get up at 7am.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:57 am
I was in bed by 8pm last night,aaaahhhhhh.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 06:51 am
Quote:
My all time record was when i was at college.I was still awake at 5am, I had to get up at 7am.

Quote:
I used to work part time and had a tough time sleeping because I felt bad about not using the spare time I had, then I worked full time and sleep got alot better but it seems to come and go now.

So, material girl, from this information I have to conclude that your insomnia is an ongoing problem, that you have had long before you took your lousy job.

Have you ever spoken to a doctor about this? Insomnia can be very debilitating, and really cut into your enjoyment of life, and the efficiency of the way that you accomplish tasks.

I would suggest a complete physical checkup, pronto. If the doc can find nothing wrong with you physically, then you might want to go into counselling. It may very well be a pervasive anxiety that is keeping you from going to sleep. But it would be wise to check out the physical first. Good luck!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:25 am
Cripes!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:51 am
Try skipping the afternoon nap unless it's a 10 minute quickie. Longer naps will throw off your sleep cycles. Also, try ONE breathing...

Inhale deeply through your nose.
Exhale slowly through your nose thinking the word ONE slowly along with the exhale.

Repeat nose breathing and thinking the word ONE slowly through each exhale. Don't count your breaths, just keep repeating the number one.

You should be relaxed enough to go to sleep in about 2 or 3 minutes.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:57 am
Agreed re the naps. Not good for nighttime sleep. I have the Sunday night problem, too, sometimes, as I did last night.

I do math puzzles in my head, usually helps. Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure, but it seems to focus my mind in the right way...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:59 am
J_B wrote:
Try skipping the afternoon nap unless it's a 10 minute quickie. Longer naps with throw off your sleep cycles. Also, try ONE breathing...

Inhale deeply through your nose.
Exhale slowly through your nose thinking the word ONE slowly along with the exhale.

Repeat nose breathing and thinking the word ONE slowly through each exhale. Don't count your breaths, just keep repeating the number one.

You should be relaxed enough to go to sleep in about 2 or 3 minutes.

Or pass out from trying so hard to breath a certain way Laughing

Actually, breathing is a great relaxer. Also, I was told lay on your back in bed. Beginning with your toes and ending with your neck, tense your muslces and then feel them relax. Example: Tense up and curl your toes, and then let them relax. Tense up your calf muscles and then let them relax. Do this all the way up your body, isolating each muscle you can, until you get to your neck. It is suppose to relieve tension in your body because you are focusing on relaxing each specific muscle. Dunno. I usually just can't stop thinking. My body is as limp as a noodle but my mind is racing. Confused
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:00 pm
Come and see me material girl...I work at JobcentrePlus, I'll sort you out! :wink:
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:07 pm
I have the same problem with Sunday nights. I always stay up too late on Friday and Saturday, sleeping in the next mornings of course, so by Sunday I'm all messed up. I just need to get real about working a 9 to 5 job - I'm still in denial about it, I guess.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 04:06 am
Thanks for the invite but Jobcentreplus,would it bore me to sleep?

Went to bed about 9.30 last night but was still awake at 11.10.Slept well after that but have a habit the past few morning of waking up at 6.22am.

Good advice given.Recently I have tried not to have naps in the weekend afternoon.If I feel myself nodding off I give myself a vigourous headshake which seems to work.

Does anybody else find that they cant drift off if they feel their bladder slowly filling up?It seems to be a race to get to sleep before the bladder reaches its maximum!!
0 Replies