Where can i learn Ukrainian?

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 01:58 pm
I am taking a foreign exchange trip there this spring and i am staying with people who dont speak english except for their son. Does anyone know the best way for me to learn this language as best i can in this time frame. thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,702 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Docent P

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 06:11 am
I'm afraid it may be a big problem. Ukainian isn't a very widespread language, and even many Ukrainians don't speak it well (for example former Prime Minister Yanukovich used to do 3 mistakes in the word "prime" in Ukrainian). In case you fail to find a Ukrainian teacher I can recommend you to learn some Russian phrases. Russian is a second state language in Ukraine, so it can be very useful.

And also pay your attention to where exactly you are going to. Western Ukaine has its own western dialect, far different from the eastern (the first is more like Polish, the 2nd is more like Russian).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 06:24 am
Welcome to A2K, littlelefty7. Very Happy
You didn't say which country you're from. But here in Melbourne, Australia, where there's a sizeable Ukranian community, they run these Saturday morning "learn the language & culture" schools. Lots of folk learn, or brush up on their Ukrainian this way. Maybe similar programs occur in other western countries?
BTW I'm of Ukrainian descent & wish I'd learned the language. I speak, but can't write/read Ukrainian.

Good luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

polyphon

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 05:31 pm
Hi littlelefty7,
There are some very good Ukrainian language self-study materials on USENET, there for the downloading. If you write to me privately at the following address, I'll tell you where exactly to find them:
[email protected]

- polyphon
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:52 pm
I might just check that out, too, polyphon.
Thanks & welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

manticore

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:35 pm
I used to speak Ukrainian, and very well too, but I forgot most of the words. That's no problem though, most of the people speak Russian, in fact almost all of them do. There're still multitudes of media sources that use Russian. A lot of the less-educated adults may speak "surzhik", Russian mixed with Ukranian but it is compehensible even if you're not very good at Ukrainian.
0 Replies

masivo

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 04:57 pm
Davay manticore skaziem Yemoo kak Yevo zawood!
0 Replies

masivo

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:04 pm
vot harascho Ya naschow : "lefty"( left-handed") mean ...riabotiaschchiy levoy rookoy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:32 pm
Translation, please! Laughing
0 Replies

manticore

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:01 pm
If I'm reading it right:

Quote:
Davay manticore skaziem Yemoo kak Yevo zawood!

Common manticore, lets tell him his name.

Quote:
vot harascho Ya naschow : "lefty"( left-handed") mean ...riabotiaschchiy levoy rookoy

Ok, I'll start. "lefty" means and then what he says, if literally translated into english would mean "I do work with my left hand".
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:19 pm
Thank you, manticore! Very Happy

Dobre dahn to you! (Stop your laughing now! I'm doing my best! Laughing )
0 Replies

manticore

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:39 pm
Heh, I could be wrong though. I pretty much forgot Ukrainian so I could've made a mistake. Like in Russian Urodlivaya, means ugly, in Ukrainian Vrodliva means beatiful. That kind of stuff happens with many words.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:58 pm
I was trying to say "good day", manticore! Sad
As a person with Ukrainian ancestry I'm a terrible failure, obviously!
0 Replies

manticore

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:14 pm
Nah I got what you said, I just said I could have been wrong on my translation since the original text seems to be in Ukrainian (or possibly Russian romanized in a way I've never seen before but I doubt it).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:16 pm
Ah, you got it! Very Happy
0 Replies