Misdiagnosed with PTSD?

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 07:48 pm
My dh has been diagnosed with PTSD. A diagnosis he does not like as he thinks it stigmatizes him. He struggles with crowds, does not like to go to restaurants and so on.
But there is many symptoms of PTSD he does not have for example no aggression.
He is also short of hearing and I have been told many people who are struggle with crowds and social situations.

I am not sure where to ask this question. Do you know any boards where I can ask?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 923 • Replies: 7
No top replies

chai2

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 08:14 pm
@WorriedWife,
Google PTSD Forum
WorriedWife

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 08:19 pm
@chai2,
Thanks. Actually I do write in ptsd boards and noticed that my husband is very different from the husbands spouses on this boards have. That‘s one reason why o doubt the diagnosis.
chai2

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 09:05 pm
@WorriedWife,
Then discuss with medical professionals. We aren't medical people here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 02:12 am
@WorriedWife,
Who has made the diagnosis and how have they explained the reasons for the diagnosis to your husband?

Why does he think the diagnosis stigmatising?

Why do you think aggression is part of the diagnosis?

What symptoms does he have?

Does he have flashbacks, nightmares? Is he avoiding situations that trigger him?

Has he experienced trauma that might cause his symptoms?

What treatment has been offered?
WorriedWife

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 03:13 am
@dlowan,
Hi, he does CBT and it helps but I think it would always help because it is working ob specific symptoms. Why does he thinks diagnosis is stigmatizing? Cause he comes from a line of military folks and he was medically retired because of the diagnosis (and because of other health stuff) and now feels like he is lesser of a soldier.
Why do I think aggression must be a part of the diagnosis? I have been talking to other spouses of men with ptsd. I have spend a lot of time on ptsd boards. Unfortunately all of them have experienced their husband yelling at them or even get violent. Mine is always friendly and patient.

What symptoms does he have? He is a bit OCD, cannot stand dirt, always has a plan and a list. Fear of crowds, fear of fireworks, very careful about dangers, always wanna sit near the exit in a restaurant so he can get out, sometimes his hands tremble, sometimes the whole guy trembles (rarely) if he is afraid. Does not like having people in his back, hates to line in when shopping etc.
Actually one symptom is total lack of anger. Never gets angry, does not even get angry when everybody else would.

He does not have flashbacks, but he has things that trigger him and he used to avoid them. He is learning not to avoid them any longer now and making good progress.
dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 03:39 am
@WorriedWife,
So he is having therapy?

I wonder if the therapist can help with the perceived stigma?

It is simple fact that a percentage of people exposed to certain types of trauma will develop ptsd symptoms. The military are generally beginning to understand this, but sadly there is a lingering irrational feeling around this, as there is not with other service injuries.

Also, many people suffering from ptsd blame themselves and see themselves as weak. Your husband sounds as though he had the guts to recognise that he wasn’t well. Good on him! One of the great tragedies of history lies in the multitudes of men, and increasingly women, who have returned from military service (or police service, and other occupations) with severe ptsd that was never understood and about which they felt unable to talk. The effects over the years on families and children and the men themselves has been appalling and has included violence and other abuses.

And this is, in his case, a service injury. He’d not feel less of a soldier, I hope, if he’d suffered a leg amputation, for instance?

It sounds like a perfectly reasonable diagnosis

If you have been on military sites I am not surprised that aggression is a common symptom.

Cognitive behaviour therapy is a recognised treatment

There are others which some people experience as giving good symptom relief, eg EMDR, but I am not sure what is available to you.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 03:43 am
@WorriedWife,
Glad to hear he is doing well. It’s hard work....good on him!
0 Replies