Is that defined somewhere?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:04 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Well, Frank, which God are we under?

What does that have to do with it?

The wording of the official pledge of allegiance....the words that are recited by school kids every school day...and which opens most public local meetings...contains the words..."...one nation, under god."

That is entirely dismissive of a large segment of our population...people who do not subscribe to the notion that we are a nation under ANY god. And it is unnecessarily...and gratuituously dismissive of US. The function of the pledge is not to define if we are under any gods or not. It is there so that people have an official way of pledging their loyalty to their country. Atheists and agnostics are loyal to their country as well as theists.

I just am surprised...considering you seem to be a fair person and one who sees the needs for equity among our very diverse population...

...that you are not more enthusiastic in supporting the removal of those words.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:06 pm
The Framers liked God just fine.

They certainly intended for God to be referenced all in our public political ceremonies. They were all still here to complain at George Washington's inauguration wherein George said outright that this nation was a miracle of God--and we owed it to Him not to fall short of our promise.

Say what you will--but the Framers could have changed things as they saw them happening. Or they could have spoken up or written about their displeasure. They didn't.

Prayers and religious overtones have always been a part of Congressional meetings and even the meetings of the Continental Congress... I can understand why people may not like this--but it's not offered up for revision.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:10 pm
Lash wrote:
The Framers liked God just fine.

They certainly intended for God to be referenced all in our public political ceremonies. They were all still here to complain at George Washington's inauguration wherein George said outright that this nation was a miracle of God--and we owed it to Him not to fall short of our promise.

Say what you will--but the Framers could have changed things as they saw them happening. Or they could have spoken up or written about their displeasure. They didn't.

Prayers and religious overtones have always been a part of Congressional meetings and even the meetings of the Continental Congress... I can understand why people may not like this--but it's not offered up for revision.

We are not talking about the law...or the framers here just now, Lash.

Try to stay with the program.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:11 pm
Baldimo, Laughing.

You have to lose the term God-hater. That's like tooth fairy-hater... or Santa Clause-hater... to a non-believer. I agree that guy was a whiner and as such, deserved to be slapped down but "God-hater" is hilarious. It would take a troubled soul indeed to go around hating other people's imaginary friends. Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:13 pm
I'll talk about what the hell I please.

This is about prayer and the inauguration and the Framers were mentioned a page or so back.

You don't have to like the content--but challenging it is better than trying to censor it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:21 pm
Lash wrote:

This is about prayer and the inauguration and the Framers were mentioned a page or so back.

You don't have to like the content--but challenging it is better than trying to censor it.

Excellent response, Lash.

You are absolutely right...and I was wrong.

My apologies.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:10 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

The wording of the official pledge of allegiance....the words that are recited by school kids every school day...and which opens most public local meetings...contains the words..."...one nation, under god."

That is entirely dismissive of a large segment of our population...people who do not subscribe to the notion that we are a nation under ANY god. And it is unnecessarily...and gratuituously dismissive of US. The function of the pledge is not to define if we are under any gods or not. It is there so that people have an official way of pledging their loyalty to their country. Atheists and agnostics are loyal to their country as well as theists.

I just am surprised...considering you seem to be a fair person and one who sees the needs for equity among our very diverse population...

You are over representing the group of people who do not beleive in God Frank. The majority of people here in the US have stated that they beleive in God and as someone else posted, 70% of Americans see themselves as Christians. I do not fall into that 70% but I do beleive in God. The majority that you speak of doesn't exist.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:33 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Lash wrote:

Excellent response, Lash.

You are absolutely right...and I was wrong.

My apologies.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but there for a while I found myself becoming absolutely paranoid about mentioning "God" in any context. After reading all the "PC" controversy, plus realizing how deeply held are some of the beliefs regarding eliminating anything smacking of religion from anything smacking of government, I even found myself getting extremely nervous prior to the president making a speech, thinking "Please, God, don't let him say "God"....LOL.

I'm getting a little better Smile
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:36 pm
Well, geesh LOL. I may have spoken too soon. Now I'm getting antsy about his upcoming Inaugural speech.

<Maybe he'll only mention God at the end>

Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:43 pm
That completely wrecked my indignation.

Very gracious. Thank you.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:46 pm
Frank has a way of doing that Smile

[size=7]<He can be charming, sometimes>[/size]
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:03 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

You are over representing the group of people who do not beleive in God Frank. The majority of people here in the US have stated that they beleive in God and as someone else posted, 70% of Americans see themselves as Christians. I do not fall into that 70% but I do beleive in God. The majority that you speak of doesn't exist.

Baldimo...re-read my posts.

No where have I represented that the group who do not subscribe to the notion of a god...is a majority....or even a very large minority.

Read it again...and we'll talk.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:05 pm
Lash wrote:
That completely wrecked my indignation.

Very gracious. Thank you.

:wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:06 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Frank has a way of doing that Smile

[size=7]<He can be charming, sometimes>[/size]

Here's one for you too, JW.

:wink:
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 07:00 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
What do you consider a "significant portion" to be when you say "despite the fact that a significant portion of the population does not subscribe to that notion. "?

Oh...a portion at least as great as say...the Jewish population...or the African American population.

Wouldn't you say those groups represent a "significant portion" of our population?

How big would we have to be before desciminating against us would no longer be okay?

Are you saying that you believe the atheist population to be as large as the Jewish, or African-American populations?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:32 pm
It's larger than the Jewish population according to the 2002 census.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:03 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Baldimo...re-read my posts.

No where have I represented that the group who do not subscribe to the notion of a god...is a majority....or even a very large minority.

Read it again...and we'll talk.

Frank:
Quote:
That is entirely dismissive of a large segment of our population...people who do not subscribe to the notion that we are a nation under ANY god

Who is this portion of the population that you speak of?

It seems you are syaing, that a large portion of the US population doesn't beleive in God.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:40 pm
A large portion of the US population doesn't believe in god, this is news to you?

BTW how can this guy hate an entity that doesn't exist?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:43 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's larger than the Jewish population according to the 2002 census.

The atheist/agnostic population is much larger than any survey or census will indicate. I know a lot of people who attend church, who, deep down, are atheist or agnostic.
0 Replies