Bush says regrets talking tough

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 09:42 pm
Hey Blatham, it would appear I'm not quite alone in my assessment...

http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/05.01.19.DissentVotes-X.gif Sorry Deb.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 09:48 pm
I thought Lash doesn't allow caricatures of Ms. Rice.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 09:49 pm
Something about her just makes you wanna do take-offs

http://img67.exs.cx/img67/1528/foxycs4yv.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:03 am
Some of you people are just vandals.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:05 am
nimh wrote:
Truthfulness obliges me to add that tonight I read the "news analysis" of another Dutch paper on Rice's performance (interestingly enough, a centre-right newspaper, the NRC) - and it did not at all share the optimism of de Volkskrant's take. Its interpretation of Rice's remarks was more like Blatham's in fact: it noted the carefully obligation-free choice of words in Rice's rhetorics, the refusal to explicitly acknowledge any mistakes made and the fact that personnel decisions thus far indicate, if anything, a continuation of the first term's hard line. In short, Rice remains "His Master's Voice" and for now we'd better remain sceptical and just wait and see.

Well, wait and see is what we're gonna do of course - not much choice there.

(Btw, funny cartoon Mesquite <grins>)

Hmmm - I will be hunting an English transcript.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:16 am
Here's fine - if you can still delete the other thread thread???

or - just a link?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:17 am
I found an English transcript of the Condi Hearings, but it's crazy long so you'll have to log in to the New York Times to read it. Both days are linked on this page.
Oops, it only took the beginning of each day, Deb. The actual transcripts are even bigger... and were apparently bigger that A2K accepts (I don't blame them)... so if you read there, follow the link above to read the rest... if you're really that interested in American Senators blowing their own horns.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:57 am
Lol - well, a bit of it!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:03 am
I gather that means you don't have trouble getting into the Times. Good. Good night.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:59 am
Panzade, if I dont now speak up to say that cartoon is in bad taste Lash will accuse me of encouraging racism again ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 04:15 am
Actually, seriously thinking about it (which I would so not have considered worth it), I gotta say - I thought nothing wrong about that cartoon whatsoever, but checking again it's true I cant remember any cartoons that woulda portrayed a white/male gov. minister in such a way ... so ... yeah ... although ... Rumsfeld as Rambo? Musta been done ...

Anyway.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:14 am
Nearly all the cartoons posted here do not rise above a thirteen year old level. They are nasty, unsophisticated, predictable and boring as hell for that.

And there is such good stuff available...

http://www.cartoonbank.com/Assets/1/22875_m.gif
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:34 am
I'm thankful that Blatham isn't the arbiter of what is and isn't funny in A2K.
The movie poster of Rice can't be considered racist just as a poster of Schwartzy as Conan wouldn't be.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:34 am
double
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:42 am
Oh - it is the "brown sugar" that causes offence.

I mean, some seem offended by any caricature of Rice - but generally I think caricatures be caricatures.

But - can we NOT derail the thread with this? It wll draw vitriol and people who just want to crap on each other as the sparks fly upward...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:43 am
blatham wrote:
Nearly all the cartoons posted here do not rise above a thirteen year old level. They are nasty, unsophisticated, predictable and boring as hell for that.

And there is such good stuff available...

http://www.cartoonbank.com/Assets/1/22875_m.gif

There is some fabulous stuff on Msolga's Oz election and Meaning of Life threads....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:44 am
sorry...bows out
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:50 am
That thread is here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42223&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And - here is a comment on the Oz Leader of the Opposition, who has just resigned his position - and his seat - and retired from Politics - after losing the recent election - and a bout of ill health.

This is by Leunig - who has been declared a National Treasure:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/18/leunig_gallery__550x375.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:52 am
panzade wrote:
sorry...bows out

Not from the thread, I hope!!!!!

Or from discussion of political satire generally - I just know the awful unpleasantness that particular to and fro will draw here.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:59 am
panz

Actually I wasn't referring to the Rice mock movie poster, which has some wit to it, but to the one that preceded and the many others that have Michael Moore with a pig nose, or Bush as a donkey.
0 Replies