A personal vent on Tabloid journalism vs Stalking

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:34 pm
Ok, first of all I'm sick to death of the media focusing on the Brad/Jen split. It's been like 5 days already! Leave it alone!

More importantly, I feel aweful for these celebrities who get hounded down by tabloid photographers. Even the bitchy snobby ones. I saw this program on A&E called "Take this Job." Really cool show if you ever get to see it. But this particular episode focused on tabloid photo journalists. These photographers sometimes stake out a celebrities home for over 24 hrs or follow them all over town in their van. I don't mean to sound naive, but when I actually saw them hunting down Jennifer Lopez it finally registered. It was really scary.

There seems to be a fine line between stalking and tabloid photojournalism.
Really though. What's the difference?

I'd be pretty scared if I were being hounded or spied on by these guys. Shouldn't there be some laws on this crap? What's the deal?Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 774 • Replies: 3
No top replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:31 am
I heard one of these photographers on a talk show once, and he was asked if actors, etc didn't really like the publicity they were getting. The photographer answered, "They like it, but they want it on their own terms".

Well, yes, I guess that would be true. I imagine that these famous people realize that there are certain events where the cameras are going to be, and probably have every right to be. And they have no trouble with that. And if a celeb is walking down the street in Manhattan, I guess they have to expect coming across some photographer who will get a quick shot or two of them.

That's probably should be where it ends. But that is not where it does end. I don't think the public knows just how invasive it can get.

But following them down the street for blocks, lying in wait, and all the tricks you mentioned-yes, I think that comes very close to stalking.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:36 am
A celebrity who really wants to can duck a lot of this stuff. Maybe not all, but a lot. If you walk around looking like Julia Roberts, chances are they'll find you.

I realize it's asking a lot for, say, Julia Roberts to make the effort not to be recognizable, but there's a price to being famous...
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:57 am
I think you might underestimate the lengths some photogs go to to find these celebs. Lying in wait outside their house, following them for blocks, etc. I would think the only way to avoid them would be to virtually put yourself under house arrest.

I saw one shot of a photographer putting himself four feet in front of an actress as she walked down the street, and as she moved forward, he moved backward for a most of the block. Think it might get dixconcerting to be walking with a person snapping pictures at you for several minutes at a time, unless you are at a major event? It gets worse than that.

Again, there are events, restaurants, bars, areas that any celebrity pretty much has to expect to be photographed. But it appears to go far, far beyond that. And it isn't just the ocasional snapshot as they walk down the street-it turns into a who session of getting photographed for several minutes. At the photographer's choosing, no matter where the celeb wants to go.
0 Replies