The Greatness of Canada

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:44 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Honolulu, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, and Cleveland scored higher than San Francisco ??????? RAFLMAO

Another wonderful achievement by the bold, intelligent, uncorruptable bureaucrats of the UN.

You've got different and more precise statistics about those "factors such as the cost of living, adult literacy, job opportunities, life expectancy and school enrollment", which would -combined- give a different result?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:06 pm
No I don't have any such statistics, Walter. However I do know each of these cities very well, and I know, beyond doubt, that San Francisco is a far more beautiful, interesting, and pleasant city in which to live or just pass the time than any of the others mentioned.

Irrational factors such as the arbitraryness of municipal boundaries, the important elements of reality that are not readily embraced by statistics of any kind, and the often significant distortions created by the statistics themselves can all to easily distort the accuracy of such an analysis. One would hope for a little more critical thinking on the part of the designers of the taxonomy and statistical analysis.

This result does not pass the laugh test.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:24 pm
George,

You have obviously never lived in San Francisco. Do you know what the cost of living is there? I don't think they would score all too high in job opportunities either.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:29 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Either it obviously has (do you know of any alternative results during the last couple of years, which prove the opposite?) or all are still laughing (since a couple of years, as said).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:31 pm
bm
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:40 pm
The fact is I have owned a home in San Francisco for the past 15 years. I know the city very well and understand the cost of living issues there. (Some elements of it are high; others are not). I also know and understand many aspects of the comparative quality of life in the other big cities in my comparison.

I can assure you that Cleveland is not a better place in which to live than San Francisco. Same goes for LA, and Cincinnati.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:45 pm
Inspired by this post...and because I see that several of my favorite posters are fellow Molson drinkers...I have initiated a new thread entitled...

...The Greatness that is New Jersey.

Please feel free to drop by here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:47 pm
Quote:
Most and Least Livable Countries: UN Human Development Index, 2004

The Human Development Index (HDI), published annually by the UN, ranks nations according to their citizens' quality of life rather than strictly by a nation's traditional economic figures. The criteria for calculating rankings include life expectancy, educational attainment, and adjusted real income.

"Most Livable" Countries, 2004
1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Australia
4. Canada
5. Netherlands
6. Belgium
7. Iceland
8. United States
9. Japan
10. Ireland
11. Switzerland
12. United Kingdom
13. Finland
14. Austria
15. Luxembourg
16. France
17. Denmark
18. New Zealand
19. Germany
20. Spain
21. Italy
22. Israel
23. Greece
24. Singapore
25. Portugal
26. Slovenia
27. Korea, South
28. Barbados
29. Cyprus
30. Malta
Source: infoplease
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:48 pm
I love Canada!!!

You guys are streets ahead of us on indigenous peoples' stuff - you don't just follow the US blindly (well, we don't QUITE do that, either - but it often seems like it) - you are much more humane re letting refugees in - (grrrrr) - you have heaps of cool snow, - pity you talk funny!!!!

(I keep trying to get Beth to marry me, so can live there. I have NO idea why Craven keeps saying it isn't a real country! But - I'd like to live in Manhattan, too, for a couple of years......can't get anyone there to marry me, either...dammit!)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:49 pm
At least we don't talk bunny, hee hee.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:52 pm
Inspired by Frank And McG...I've decided to open a thread called:"The Greatness that is St.Lucie County.
Did you know that I live in the safest city in Florida?(6 years in a row).
That this county is the 4th fastest growing county in the US?(Something's gotta give).
That in 1943 the Underwater Demolition Teams of the Navy had their main base here.
Find out about these and a lot of other interesting facts ...when I open my new thread.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:53 pm
Well, YOU'RE off the potential marital partners list, you clown!

(That was in response to Cav)

Hey! I mean - Eh!!! Canajuns even SPELL right~!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:56 pm
dlowan wrote:
Well, YOU'RE off the potential marital partners list, you clown!

Don't matter, I'm already married, and have no plans on converting to Mormonism. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:57 pm
Ha!!!! Wait long enough, and 50% of then come back on the market.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:59 pm
I'm glad that I'm already recycled.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:00 pm
Er - that came across a little darkly - sorry Cav!!!!!!

I am sure you ar ein the happy 50%!!!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:02 pm
Iceland #7 ????

I'll admit that on my last visit Reykjavik was less seedy and the odor of the fish drying stands south of the city less pungent than several years ago. Good visibility - when the sun shines - and the wind is not abraiding everything with a blast of basaltic dust and gravel. Lots of dandy geothermal power and some very pleasant street scenes - for about three months each year. Try it in January!

Icelandic women are something else though.

There is no accounting for taste and statisticsa are not a substitute for real experience.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:04 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Don't matter, I'm already married, and have no plans on converting to Mormonism. :wink:

>sigh<
I was hoping... Laughing
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:05 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
No I don't have any such statistics, Walter. However I do know each of these cities very well, and I know, beyond doubt, that San Francisco is a far more beautiful, interesting, and pleasant city in which to live or just pass the time than any of the others mentioned.

Irrational factors such as the arbitraryness of municipal boundaries, the important elements of reality that are not readily embraced by statistics of any kind, and the often significant distortions created by the statistics themselves can all to easily distort the accuracy of such an analysis. One would hope for a little more critical thinking on the part of the designers of the taxonomy and statistical analysis.

Your contempt for the UN is patently obvious.
Although I rarely doubt many of your statements, or the sincerity from which they arise, but explain to me what the "corrupt UN' has to gain by ranking one country above another...and of all countries, do you think Canada has the funds to extort such a ranking from the United Nations?
Similarily, the bredth of your knowledge and the depth of your experiences in these select cities surely can't be enough to make a statement regarding any of them to the international community that holds any water. Sure maybe you find one city more appealing than another, but that's based on very limited information, criteria, experience and judgement.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:06 pm
Great. The one place I was considering is below Canada on the list. I guess I'll have to reconsider Denmark. Maybe Sweden would be a good alternative. hmmmmm, where's Finland on that list.
0 Replies