The New Liberalism

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:17 am
Democrats typically luxuriate in having a useless debate after every defeat: Should the party "move to the left" to "mobilize the base" or "move to the center" to "appeal to the middle"?

The debate is useless because it is about abstractions that few voters ever use themselves and because it often raises the question of what the words "left" or "center" mean for specific issues.

The debate is particularly irrelevant to the 2004 election, a contest in which John Kerry mobilized the base to an unprecedented degree but also won voters who call themselves "moderate" by a healthy, if insufficient, margin. The real problem Kerry faced, beyond his own mistakes ("I actually did vote for the $87 billion before . . .") is that voters who call themselves conservative now substantially outnumber those who call themselves liberal.

The network exit polls found that while 34 percent of voters said they were conservative, only 21 percent called themselves liberal. (A plurality, 45 percent, were moderates.) Kerry had a nine-point lead among moderates and a 72-point lead among liberals. But Bush crushed Kerry among conservatives by 69 points. Given the big conservative edge over liberals, that was the election. Unless liberalism can refurbish itself, it will continue to be a drag on Democratic opportunities.

Enter Sen. Edward M. Kennedy. It's appropriate that a Massachusetts Democrat named Kennedy would give, every year or so, what amounts to a State of the Union address for liberals. Kennedy's effort this year, delivered at the National Press Club on Wednesday, was interpreted in the first news accounts as a take-no-prisoners, make-no-concessions clarion call for Democrats to oppose President Bush.

Well, yes, Democrats should oppose Bush. As Kennedy noted, it is "deceptive and dangerous" for Bush to claim "a sweeping, or a modest, or even a miniature mandate for reactionary measures like privatizing Social Security, redistributing the tax burden in the wrong direction, or packing the federal courts with reactionary judges." If Democrats can't stand up for Social Security and tax fairness and against Bush's court-packing, they might as well become Republicans.

But Kennedy did more. He suggested that Democrats could prevail not by retreating from their core principles but by demonstrating that those principles were consistent with the values held by many Americans who call themselves conservative.

Most moderates and many conservatives, for example, have nothing against Democrats' commitment to expanding health coverage or educational opportunity. That's why Kennedy's bold proposal to open Medicare to all Americans regardless of age is likely to appeal beyond liberal precincts. He called on the country to produce more math and science students, to raise standards on those subjects, and to guarantee every student who qualifies the opportunity to go to college. In all these areas, liberal programs are popular programs.

But Kennedy was also mindful that the word liberal is associated by many voters not with "liberty" but with "license." So he sought to relink liberalism with "family values." If you are for family values, how can you oppose Kennedy's call to give all employees at least seven days of paid sick leave a year so they don't face "a cruel choice between losing their job, or neglecting their sick child or sick spouse at home." Who can disagree that companies should make it easier for parents to "attend a PTA meeting or a school play or a sports contest"? Why, in short, shouldn't liberals challenge the economic marketplace to be more friendly to the needs of families?

And on abortion, Kennedy reached to those outside liberalism's heartland. While maintaining his support for legal abortion, Kennedy added: "Surely, we can all agree that abortion should be rare, and that we should do all we can to help women avoid the need to face that decision."

His challenge to the right-to-life movement was plain. "History teaches that abortions do not stop because they are made illegal. Indeed, half of all abortions in the world are performed in places where abortions are illegal." Those who oppose abortion need to face the fact that "the number of abortions is reduced when women and parents have education and economic opportunity." Don't those who care about the right to life have a special obligation to make universal prenatal care -- and health care generally -- a priority?

Democrats, even moderate Democrats, will have trouble winning if liberalism does not redeem itself. Liberalism will not redeem itself as long as so many voters associate it with "alien" values. If Ted Kennedy, the avatar of liberalism, knows this, every other liberal should be able to realize it, too.

The New Liberalism
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,778 • Replies: 39
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:39 am
Many liberals hide their liberalism under new titles. They still believe the same, but fear a stigma from the old title. So the exit polls may be skewed. I my self remain openly a liberal.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:22 am
Nice post graffiti...sort of gave me a warm tingly feeling like his brother used to do.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:25 am
I saw an interview with him on Hardball a couple nights ago. I was wondering why he never ran for president.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:51 am
I'm guessing you weren't old enough to read the paper when Chappaquidick happened. It scuttled any chance a Kennedy would gain the White House in our generation.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:05 am
New liberalism? Sounds like the same old thing to me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:06 am
Neo-libs.... What's next? Neo-independants?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:08 am
Q: Why did the Kennedys go into politics instead of boxing?

A: Those boys can't take a shot to the head....
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Q: Why did the Kennedys go into politics instead of boxing?

A: Those boys can't take a shot to the head....

Good taste???? Probably not.

But it did give me a chuckle, so what the heck.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:18 am
Occasionally...not often...I will cross the line of good taste....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:22 am
panzade wrote:
I'm guessing you weren't old enough to read the paper when Chappaquidick happened. It scuttled any chance a Kennedy would gain the White House in our generation.

Oh, yeah, I remember now. I don't know if I was old enough, but I do remember the scandal. But surely it's old news now. Ah what do I know.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:36 am
I don't think it's Chappaquidick that would be his main problem. It would be his very liberal record, coupled with the fact that he is rarely seen/heard without looking/sounding half lit.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:43 am
Blah blah blah. Sorry, Idaho, but I've been expecting that response (or some version of it) since I posted. It's just so predictable. Liberal record, squawk!

He makes the word liberal sound respectable, IMO.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:45 am
Idaho wrote:
I don't think ...

My eyes glazed over after those so true words.
Oh, and thanks for your in-depth analysis of graffiti's post.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:59 am
Well, when there's nothing new to analyze, why frame arguments? Of couse, I'm sure it took a lot of analysis to construct the "rah, rah, you're so right" posts.

Kennedy does have a liberal record - that's just the way it is. I can respect the fact that he has been consistent. That's admirable, although I disagree with him on most issues. That was the thrust of my comment - that his stance on many issues doesn't fall in line with a majority of Americans, who tend to be moderate, making it difficult for him to get elected on the national level.

It's nice to see that you can stoop to the level of us poor, simple, non-thinkin' folks. I can feel my political opinions being swayed already by the mighty force of your intellect.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:06 am
Idaho wrote:
Kennedy does have a liberal record - that's just the way it is. I can respect the fact that he has been consistent. That's admirable, although I disagree with him on most issues. That was the thrust of my comment - that his stance on many issues doesn't fall in line with a majority of Americans, who tend to be moderate, making it difficult for him to get elected on the national level.

Suffice it to say that I don't agree with you here. I think that his stance on many issues, when framed by conservative blowhards, could be out of line with most Americans. But I agree with the author of the posted article that the ideas themselves are not.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
panzade wrote:
Nice post graffiti...sort of gave me a warm tingly feeling like his brother used to do.

Thanks...I'm hoping you're referring to Bobby. Are you? Cool
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
At their core, liberal and conservative philosophy are not very far apart. The ideas mentioned in Kennedy's speech are neither liberal nor conservative. The way a liberal would go about achieving those goals is vastly different from the way a conservative would do it. The speeches always sound nice and very similar; the actions are different.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:12 am
panzade wrote:
Quote:
I don't think ...

Oh, and thanks for your in-depth analysis of graffiti's post.

Laughing Laughing :wink: Cool
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:13 am
Idaho wrote:
At their core, liberal and conservative philosophy are not very far apart. The ideas mentioned in Kennedy's speech are neither liberal nor conservative. The way a liberal would go about achieving those goals is vastly different from the way a conservative would do it. The speeches always sound nice and very similar; the actions are different.

Tell me about it. We only have to look at the incumbent to see this illustrated.
0 Replies