This goes against everything I have learned... but,

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:11 pm
Yes .. another Bean care question. Laughing

For the past 2 days we have had people here on the house re-roofing.
Not too noisy, but for poor little bean it is nerve racking. Sleep , nap , quiet time.. has all been out the window. Today I have spent 99.999% of the day with her in my lap either crying or just on edge.

I took her outside to see what was going on. The man who is doing the roof is named Tim. Tim is wonderful. He has told me step by step where they will be on the roof through out this process so I can keep Bean away from most of the noise. We have a 2 story house so this isnt always applicable.. but good info to say the least. Anyway, he saw us outside and saw her puffy eyes and being a father of 3 knew right away what I was doing. He called to his workers and everyone stopped production so Tim could come down the ladder and talk with me and Bean and let her ' explore the noise'. WOW did she love that. He started machines , shook the wires, let her touch the ladders ... you name it. She felt better after that. Still unnerved .. but better I could tell.

Her sleep pattern is now shot out the window though. All the reading I have done to attempt to get an idea on how to combat this has pretty much had the same underlining action - stay with her routine-. Well.. i did that. And she cried and cried and cried some more. Her usual time for a nap is 10. well that has slowly gotten a little later and a little later as she has gotten older. No biggie.... same routine just a little later.
NOW.. anytime I take her for a nap ( the roofing noise has pretty much set this behavior in stone ) she gets excited, sometimes cries and OOOH forget getting her to nap.

My problem - she is so tired by the end of the day she spends most of her time crying. She is too tired to sleep.

My solution attempts - Following routine .. even to the point where I just check in on her every few minutes but she stays in her crib the 45 minutes she usually naps.
OR Waiting for her to get so tired she cant take it anymore.
Both are not working. And she is so cranky it is really uncomfortable for her. I am going grey . My eyes are puffy from the stress of a screaming baby. I have read and read about what to do as I said earlier. Still to no end.
What to try now? Is this just a phase that isnt in any books I OWN? hehe

oy, help me help her sleep so I can stop finding new patches of grey hair. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,831 • Replies: 27
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:16 pm
How long will they be working on the roof? Do you have a ca to drive her around in? How about a stroller and a warm blanket?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:20 pm
Get outta the house - drive, walk, go to the mall, get away from the noise and fuss - so that home time is good time.

errrrrrrrrr, is Bean teething?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:20 pm
It will be another 4 days as this isnt a small house. wich sucks. I want it over with . hehe.

hubby takes the car in the day so i dont have transportation. I would definatly drive around for 2 hrs if it would help her sleep .. but .. >sigh<

I do have a stroller.....?? taking her for a walk?
Never thought of that one.. hmm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:23 pm
Walk her at her normal nap time. Good for you too.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:26 pm
yeah, she is teeting. She just popped out anoter 2 teeth in 3 days. So now she has 4 on top 2 on bottom. I call her the cock-eyed chipmunk. Hehehe.

I will try the walk tomorrow..oh .. no.. wait.. it is only supposed to be like 20 something outside. Damn cold front. Well, I think i can bundle her up for at least a small walk. Around the block a couple of times will help her with a scenery change and noise diffrence . Good idea
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:31 pm
Shewolf, I'm sorry lil bean isn't sticking to her routine....sounds like you keep a very very quiet house during the day. Maybe it'll pass quicker than you know.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:34 pm
And, 4 days, though it'll seem like an eternity for the duration, is still only 4 days.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:38 pm
Yeah........you two can do it........yes you can! LOL
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:43 pm
true , it IS only 4 days. Of course to the grey patches it is 50 years.

Im just worried that after they are done she will be used to not having her routine and her little stress level will remain high due to the lack OF her routine.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:48 pm
Our experience with Ya-ya is that if she gets over-tired then it is even more difficult to get her to sleep. She gets her second wind, so to speak.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:50 pm
that is exactly what is going on.
Second wind,
third wind....

by the end of the day she is running on fumes. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:51 pm
Your hubby can't get a ride from someone? Or you guys drop him off and pick him up? You really, really need the car to get through this.

Also, remember that nap times are going to vary. I hated when they changed, but they always did. The worst change was probably 2 naps to one nap, which I think happened then-ish -- the first nap got later and later so that there wasn't enough time for her to have a second nap and then get to sleep at a somewhat reasonable hour. So we had this bad stretch where she'd take one nap and be too tired, and two naps and not fall asleep forever... ugh.

But short version, you have to get the car for 4 days. Drop off hubby, hubby takes a cab, whatever. You need the car.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:56 pm
Hubby goes to work at 600 am. Little bean doesnt wake up on her own until about 730 -800 am. She would enjoy the early car ride to take hubby to work no doubt about that.

I agree it would do her little nerves well to get away from the hustle and bustle of the roofers.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:59 pm
Also the car is how I've always gotten sozlet to sleep even when she thinks she's not sleepy. If she absolutely needs to go to sleep -- and as you've found out, there are times when they absolutely need to go to sleep -- then in the car she's gone, from when she was tiny. Never fails. (Or if it does fail, she's actually perky enough to hold off 'til bedtime.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:01 pm
If anyone protests about you having the car for the next four days, ask them if they would prefer that both you and bean be laid-out, can't-do-a-thing sick ('cause that's what's going to happen if you don't get some rest.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:06 pm
noone would protest. He knows better. Laughing kidding !
and it would give me an opportunity to get out too.
I can take Bean to the childrens gymboree and let her get good and tired with some normal stimuli! OTHER KIDS! hehe.. instead of nail guns and ladders banging against the walls.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:14 pm
If nothing else, rent a car... (not kidding..)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:23 pm
At this point, I could simply start the car, strap bean in and let it run in the driveway for an hour or so. Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 05:46 pm
Remember, well-dressed children can take strolls in the cold--and the cold will make her sleepy.

Brisk walk, soothing drink, nap time.

Also, play Pounding Back. What is her all time unfavorite noise out of the bedlam above? Decide what it is and Pound Back--and encourage her to pound.

Making noise gives her power over noise.
0 Replies