The prozac jones'

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 08:55 pm
I tried investigating this on the internet but all I really found were sites trying to sell me prozac.

I've taken prozac for about two years. My perscription is about to run out so I thought I would try weaning myself off it. I started taking it every other day for a while, then every third day....

Now I feel like crap. I mean physically sick.

This was probably not my best idea ever.

I think I'll call my doctor and set up a confab to get the 'script renewed.

Or maybe I should stick it out and detox.

But what if the life numbing depression comes back?

My mind is a terrible thing to waste, after all.

I'm just wondering though if this is normalish or if I'm really sick but not contageous so nobody else is catching my "thing".

Maybe its not the prozac withdrawal but maybe its food poisoning or foot cancer or malaria.

As they say in therapy:

Please share.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 796 • Replies: 8
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:03 pm
I probably should have mentioned:

I have been on prozac before, the soul-numbing came back and I went back on.

I don't remember such withdrawals from the first time but I was on a lower dose.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:31 pm
you WILL go through a withdrawl type phase. Your body is cleaning out a chemical.
My mother had horrible headache's , diarrhea, no appetite and a few other not so pretty things when she stopped. She was taking 100 mg for 4 years.
I dont know much about coming off of RX anti depressants as in nursing school the BIG lesson was how to look out for the NEED. But I know you can go to a website.. ( I will hunt it as soon as I am done typing ) that can tell you sort of what to expect when you are dropping meds.
No matter how you ease yourself off of it, you have to remember your body is still used to a foreign chemical. Withdrawl is to be expected.
Im sorry you are going through this. Are you positive you want to?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:34 pm
http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/depression/treatment/antidepressants/discontinuation_events_2.asp

I know alot of the information on this site is sort of leading one to think they shouldnt drop prozac because of the possiblity of depression coming back. And that was one thing you had said that all the other sites you found was stating as well and was frustrating you.
But this site gives an idea on what to expect.
I hope it helps.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:37 pm
Boomerang, be careful doing that. Instead of skipping days and doses, if possible break the doses down each day.....for a few days 1/2 your dosage, then for awhile longer 1/4 dosage...that way your body eases out of it......thats if it in tablet form and not capsule.....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:38 pm
Dr. Ann Blake Tracy, a PhD in Psychology and Health Sciences, has specialized for 10 years in adverse reactions to serotonergic medications. She is the executive director of the International Coalition for Drug Awareness (www.drugawareness.org) and author of the book PROZAC: PANACEA OR PANDORA? (800-280-0730)

WARNING: IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT A GRADUAL TAPERING OFF OF MEDICATIONS IS SAFEST WITHDRAWAL METHOD TO AVOID SERIOUS WITHDRAWAL EFFECTS (Often there is the terrible withdrawal associated with the SSRIs. Unless patients are warned to come very slowly off these drugs by shaving minuscule amounts off their pills each day, as opposed to cutting them in half or taking a pill every other day, they can go into terrible withdrawal which is generally delayed several months. This withdrawal includes bouts of overwhelming depression, terrible insomnia and fatigue, and can include life-threatening physical effects, psychosis, or violent outbursts.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:41 pm
Yikes! Boomer, please be careful with yourself.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:54 pm
Yes, please do.

You can at least call and get some medical advice from the doc via the phone, right?

Maybe it's just a matter of tapering off more gradually than you are.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:22 pm
Thanks girls.

I'll be sure to check out that link, shewolf.

I take a really low maintenence dose (20mg) which seems to do the trick. I come from a long line of clinically depressed people and I know to take things seriously.

When I quit taking it before I got off of it easy and was good for about a year before depression came creeping back. Good ole' Mr. B recognized the symptoms before I did and sent me packing for the doctor.

I'm not keen on ingesting stuff. My doctor knows this about me. But I suppose that sometimes altering your mind makes you more normal.

I was doing pretty good with the reduced dosage until things started getting crazy this week -- a lot of stuff going on -- I was having a hard time concentrating and being patient with everyone, including myself.

I've been feeling like crap for the last three days and today I made the connection that maybe its prozac withdrawal that is making me feel so crappy. I could be wrong but it really seems to make sense.

The last time I quit cold turkey and I was fine. This time.... ugh... the flu would be better than this.

I call the doctor.

Thanks everyone.
0 Replies