In need of some logic help!!!

fresco

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 10:34 am
@Kolyo,
Laughing As far as mathematical content is concerned, the economic method of backward fell swoop which I illustrated, clearly fits that description better than the subsequent lengthy antiquated traditional methodology presented.

But full marks for your defense attempt which I hope your mathematical approximation of '10 to 20 honest students' will appreciate in the fullness of time! Wink
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:36 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
' Information' is never neutral. Its definition is related to a 'choice between alternatives'.

Wisdom is a choice between alternatives but it requires the result have intended effect.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:41 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

The general principle on A2K is not to do the homework but to point the student in the right direction.

I've never seen that general principle and I think I've seen Robert post the opposite. I think Carpenters has the gist of it - you help as you see fit.
fresco

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 02:40 pm
@engineer,
Rolling Eyes Yes...yes...yes....
We are all on a self validation exercise to claim the ground we want to think is the difference between 'help' and 'rising to a challenge'(or even 'showing off').
Since I still occasionally 'teach', I am particularly conscious of the difficulty of knowing how far to go with a student. The fact that we are not face to face with the student should make us even more cautious in my opinion, although I would admit that I have probably gone too far on occasion myself.
Be that as it may, I am absolutely certain that the principle of 'not doing homework' has been consistently stated and upheld on A2K over the many years I have been posting.
engineer

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 03:25 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
I am absolutely certain that the principle of 'not doing homework' has been consistently stated and upheld on A2K over the many years I have been posting.

I'm not sure who is doing the upholding since I've never seen a moderator step in on a homework thread. There are a number of people who agree with you, there are a number that do not and there are a fair number who are somewhere in the middle. I typically give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume they truly need help. However you go is your personal decision, but I don't think you should go about chiding a new contributor for not following your rules.
fresco

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 03:45 pm
@engineer,
I love the 'numbers' game !
Thankyou for your opinion.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 03:54 pm
@engineer,
https://able2know.org/rules/
You won't ever see a moderator on this board. The rules for the board are clearly defined and nothing is posted regarding homework. People might wish to carry their personal etiquette over onto others but the majority don't always rule, though they definitely have impact.
fresco

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 04:06 pm
@jerlands,
This is my last comment on this issue.
Not doing a student's homework is not a matter of 'personal etiquette', it's a matter of common sense.
jerlands

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 04:38 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Not doing a student's homework is not a matter of 'personal etiquette', it's a matter of common sense.

There ya go.. imposing your sense on others.
0 Replies

Susmariosep

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 08:56 pm
@jerlands,
"(3) If Bob is morally virtuous, then he achieves heaven. But if he is not morally virtuous, then his longings are satisfied. On the other hand, if Bob doesn't achieve heaven, then his longings are not satisfied. So, Bob achieves heaven. (M,H,L)"

What do the M, H, L stand for?
jerlands

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 09:11 pm
@Susmariosep,
I see it as the hand... what's being played.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 09:44 pm
@Susmariosep,
Susmariosep wrote:

"(3) If Bob is morally virtuous, then he achieves heaven. But if he is not morally virtuous, then his longings are satisfied. On the other hand, if Bob doesn't achieve heaven, then his longings are not satisfied. So, Bob achieves heaven. (M,H,L)"

It honestly means nothing to me.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 12:44 am
@Susmariosep,
Mary had lied !
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 01:23 am
@Susmariosep,
(+ Moron has lingered.)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 07:46 am
@Susmariosep,
Susmariosep wrote:

Quote:
M-Bob works hard
H-Bob succeeds,
L-Bob does things that he enjoys

To prove: M->H, ~M->L, ~H->~L therefore H
jerlands

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 05:50 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Susmariosep wrote:

Quote:
M-Bob works hard
H-Bob succeeds,
L-Bob does things that he enjoys

To prove: M->H, ~M->L, ~H->~L therefore H

For all of us interested in learning more about Propositional logic if you would please ignore the statement and explain what M, H, and L are.
layman

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:29 pm
@Susmariosep,
Susmariosep wrote:

I would guess that M = Morally virtuous; H=(achieving) Heaven; and L=(satisfying) Longings, eh?

If so, then, for example, ~L means "longings are not satisfied."

Beyond that, I can't see where any conclusions necessarily follow. But note that it doesn't say he will achieve heaven ONLY if he is morally virtuous. It could that he can, or will, achieve heaven even if he is not morally virtuous.
layman

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:51 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Beyond that, I can't see where any conclusions necessarily follow. But note that it doesn't say he will achieve heaven ONLY if he is morally virtuous. It could that he can, or will, achieve heaven even if he is not morally virtuous.

If you take all the statements made to be true, then that is the only necessary implication I can see, i.e., that he need not be "morally virtuous" to achieve heaven. "If" is a different statement than "if, and only if"
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 07:15 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
If Bob is morally virtuous, then he achieves heaven.

So If M, then H

Quote:
But if he is not morally virtuous, then his longings are satisfied.

So If not M (~M), then L

Quote:
if Bob doesn't achieve heaven, then his longings are not satisfied.

So If not H (~H), then not L (~L).
Since this is true, its contrapositive is also true. For example, if DOG then ANIMAL, so if NOT ANIMAL, then NOT DOG. The contrapositive of if ~H, then ~L is
If L then H.

Combining the second and third statements:
If ~M, then L
If L then H
you get if ~M then L then H

But we already know that if M then H, so no matter whether M is true or false, you get to Heaven.

layman

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 07:26 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

...so no matter whether M is true or false, you get to Heaven.
Yeah, what he done said, eh?

Kinda what I done said, too, except he explained it more better, and put it all into symbols, and ****.
0 Replies