Should we show respect for other people's "beliefs?"

Ray

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:37 pm
Isn't there a difference between respect and tolerate?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:37 pm
Yes well-I respect the female of the species but I will admit she is often difficult to tolerate.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:40 pm
I tolerate zealots and sexists; but I don't respect 'em.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:44 pm
Respect the person, not their beliefs.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:47 pm
Didn't Plato say that about 854,692 years ago?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:53 pm
spendius wrote:
Didn't Plato say that about 854,692 years ago?

spendius I've told you a million times not to exaggerate
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:23 pm
I've found that often people who claim to respect the beliefs of others.... expect them to respect their beliefs in return.

In other words,

"I'll respect your beliefs as long as your beliefs include respect for my belief"

or put yet another way...the other person beliefs concerning belief itself must be the SAME as mine...and then I'll respect it.

I've also found that those who claim to respect the beliefs of others show more respect for beliefs that most closely align with their own...which suggests that respect for beliefs is mostly just being polite...and real respect is absent.

I have no respect for beliefs that are the most unlike mine....(eg Hitler) and I don't see why I should.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:34 pm
spendius, When will you learn your facts? It was 854,672 years ago.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:41 pm
Perhaps respecting the beliefs themselves is not the correct way of stating this.

I believe everyone has a right to what they believe, an equal right. What I have a problem with is when someone starts namecalling because of my Christian beliefs. You don't have to agree with them, you don't have to like them. But, you don't have to call me names either. A simple, I disagree with your beliefs would be just fine.

I do not belittle anyone for what they believe in. That is not my right to do so. I may not agree with them but it certainly does not give me license to call them names.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:57 pm
I think what you're talking about Momma is proper behavior towards other human beings. That I can agree with.

The truth is though IMO that beliefs and respect have nothing to do with it. I DETEST and can not respect a human being who believes that 'a woman should stay in the kitchen and obey her hubby'. However, I try my d*amnest to act like a responsible, respectful human being towards them (totally selfish motivation: when I indulge in hating, I suffer).

Some people are just jerks. Some people will never gain my respect. Still, I know it's in my best interest not to go do something stupid like persecute them. The tacky old cliches are often true. Hate just destroys ourselves.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:01 pm
You're missing the point Momma....

Do you think they have a right to belief that your beliefs are evil? What if they think only thier god is the one true god and you should be killed?

Would you respect them that?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:04 pm
I am not missing the point Eorl. Everyone has the right to believe what they believe. That doesn't mean it is right and it doesn't mean anyone has to agree with it.

I think in cases where someone thinks I should be killed for what I believe one must use some real common sense. I realize the men who flew the planes into the Twin Towers thought they were doing it for God, but I think we all know better.

God doesn't want us to break the law. He makes that pretty clear in the Bible. But, I still don't have the right to belittle anyone for any reason.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:17 am
Momma,

As an atheist it has always puzzled me how believers juggle "laws" and "rights". If someone's God has said "suffer not a witch to live"(no accuracy claimed) or another's has said "destroy the infidel", I cannot see how you can maintain your position except by mental sleight of hand. The contention of the atheist is of course that such conjuring is responsible for "God" in the first place !
0 Replies

CaliNORML

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:58 am
Respect others beliefs
This subject was discussed in our houshold just this month, uncanny it is a topic of debate I must just be lucky.

Attending a local Christian church my daughter was very taken aback with the statement that only Christians are on the list for Heaven. Taught to always ask questions and stand up for her beliefs this assertion immediately drew debate from my child. Citing the age of other religions prior to Christianity, and the fact that Christianity is itself a culmination of other religions she wanted to know the basis of this statement.

When explained to her that good Christians have the obligation to save others and show them the proper path to God. My girl responded that the person you were trying to bring to the path of Christianity may have their own path. Her description of a group of persons who believe in Christianity almost kidnapping a poor buddhist monk off his own higher path to Enlightenment almost wrought a chuckle from me. Biting my tounge, I found myself having to agree with her opinion.

When we arrived home, the study of the fundementals of Christianity were put under the microscope of my young girls scrutinity. Arriving at the concepts of humility, compassion and acceptance being cornerstones of religious practice, she was unable to see the use of these concepts in this fashion of worship. "How can someone practice the lose of ego advocated by Religion yet still claim to be better and different because of their beliefs?" was the question she wanted answered to solve her dilemma. I responded with the statement effectively telling her this is what creates personal choices and the practice of them in our society, not only in spiritual matters, in all belief systems.

When our personal beliefs are allowed to discount others views, then acceptance of belief is limited to only one form. Everyone knows their personal belief is correct for their own life. Enforcing yours to the dismissal of what they hold as self evident truths governing their lives is a form of repression, deciding that it is invalid is abolitionism thinking, and deeming others unworthy is elitist.

Any person finding a better more fullfilling life by belief in a religion is cheered on by my family to practice that faith freely. Please I will ask of those few eager to spread the joy of thier discovery with the world, to be respectfull of all paths trodden in this world. The fact that it is not the same path as your own, does not make it any less important or spiritual to those walking upon it. Perhaps certain people do not need to be saved, even if some think differently, they may be just where they need to be in life. Allow them that right, of which in this world there are many to chose.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 09:25 am
I have no problem whatsoever with everyone finding their own paths. The only problem I do have is the labeling that seems to be going on. I have never said that because I am a Christian I am better than anyone else. Different? Yes. We are all different, everyone of us.

I do not discount anyone elses' views. I may not agree with them, but I do not discount nor dismiss them.

Repression? Abolitionism thinking? Deeming others unworthy? Elitist? More labeling. How old is your little girl anyway?
0 Replies

loudmouth

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 02:28 pm
my opinion
respecting the beliefs of others
Should We Show Respect for Other People's Beliefs?
I think that it is perfectly fine to express your feelings about the world and other people's beliefs and its not fair for them to be angry or think of it as disrespect. An opinion is an opinion for a reason. Some people i know, if you were to say that you dont believe that there is a god would be angry and become defensive about their beliefs. They would think that i am attacking their feelings and that is unacceptable. I am a very opinionated person and i think that it is heathly. The world is a huge place and is made up of many different theories and controversial issues and without them i believe that the world would be boring. Ofcourse it is polite to show understanding of someones beliefs and not to say that their beliefs are, "stupid" but if you disagree with them then that is not at all disrespect. I believe that there is NO god but someone else might. Thats fine for them, and they can think what they want but im not going to ever agree with them and could get in a heated fight about it and i think that its totally normal and right. Sometimes i feel like i shoudlnt say anything because some people are sooo protective of their faith and beliefs. Sometimes it is better to stay quite about how you feel to not hurt anyone. However, i think that this is soo wrong, if you believe strongly in your opinions and beliefs then who care what anyone else thinks. If you know you are right, then more power to you! I think that people who believe they need to defend their beliefs soo much are people who are either doubting their own beliefs or they are soo passionate about them. I dunno. But i think people think respect means that you must have the same feelings and beliefs. These people are wrong...and that is MY belief. Agree with it or not, and respect it or not but i dont care.....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:59 pm
It is up to each individual to believe what they believe. All I can do is share my beliefs when asked. Now, if someone doesn't agree, that's perfectly fine. However, it is not fine for someone to tell me my beliefs are stupid, moronic, idiotic, etc. Saying they disagree is just fine. When you call someone's beliefs names, it is quie often (and IMO understandably) taken as you are calling the person themselves those words. No one has the right to do that to anyone.
0 Replies

btiger

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 11:01 pm
I'm glad to see that this forum has stpped going off on wild tangents about seminars in English Pubs, and returned to the topic at hand. By the way, CaliNORML how old is your daughters? No offense, but does this daughter of yours really exist or did you make her up? Because that is one genious.
Anyways....
I completely agree with your and your super-genious daughters statement about personal beliefes being allowed to discount other views. One should stand aside and let others follow their own path, even if you know that it will only lead them to disaster. This way you dont have to get into a screaming match with them. Since it is our natural right to be able to chose our paths lets us all give each other the respect of not interferring with others religious or spiritual lives. Because it will only lead to more problems. (i.e. US meddling in all foreign affairs)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 11:49 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
However, it is not fine for someone to tell me my beliefs are stupid,

It is my belief that your belief is stupid.

Do you respect my belief?

Is it OK for me to say it, just not to your face?

Is it OK for me to think it but pretend I don't think it?

Is my belief somehow "wrong" ?

You see my point yet Momma?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:46 am
Eorl wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
However, it is not fine for someone to tell me my beliefs are stupid,

It is my belief that your belief is stupid.

Do you respect my belief?

Is it OK for me to say it, just not to your face?

Is it OK for me to think it but pretend I don't think it?

Is my belief somehow "wrong" ?

You see my point yet Momma?

Well, I think your belief is stupid, Eorl. Do you respect that? Do you see the inanity of your argument yet, Eorl?
0 Replies