Help. 2 complicated sentences.

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 12:58 am
Certificate of entry relating to vessels specified unlimited in the first schedule. Entered for insurance in the association in accordance with the particulars set out in the first schedule and upon the terms and conditions of the rules of the protection and indemnity class of the association for the time being in force, except to the extent that those terms set out in the second schedule.

Simply can't make out what these two sentenses means.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,096 • Replies: 9
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 07:49 am
Since they are not complete sentences, the context would be helpful to know if these are either definitions of a procedure or a log of events
0 Replies

Paradise22

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 05:13 am
Re: Help. 2 complicated sentences.
[quote="translatorcz"]Certificate of entry relating to vessels specified unlimited in the first schedule. Entered for insurance in the association in accordance with the particulars set out in the first schedule and upon the terms and conditions of the rules of the protection and indemnity class of the association for the time being in force, except to the extent that those terms set out in the second schedule.

Simply can't make out what these two sentenses means.[/quote]

Neither do I! Shocked
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 09:18 am
It means that if you signed it they can do whatever they want to you... But seriously... I've never seen worse english. One thing is clear; this was not written as an attempt at honest communication....
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:55 am
Sorry, I can' t find out where it come from too. So forget it. Thank you all. I'm very sorry.
0 Replies

just some random person

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 12:57 am
probly written by a lawyer. damn confusing. Confused
0 Replies

NobleCon

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 07:29 pm
Re: Help. 2 complicated sentences.
translatorcz wrote:
Certificate of entry relating to vessels specified unlimited in the first schedule. Entered for insurance in the association in accordance with the particulars set out in the first schedule and upon the terms and conditions of the rules of the protection and indemnity class of the association for the time being in force, except to the extent that those terms set out in the second schedule.

Simply can't make out what these two sentenses means.

They represent a futile attempt at "legalese," that redundant sort of English in use by attorneys and insurance companies.

An entry is an inclusion of any formal writing- here certified- on a topic; and, in this quote, the (certified) entry concerns any vessels in reference to the two schedules, first and second. For obvious reasons, it is entered "...for insurance."

It may be an addendum.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:27 pm
Thank you.
0 Replies

NobleCon

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:43 pm
You are welcome. :wink:
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:23 pm