Believers go on rack to prove God relieves pain

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:47 pm
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1436161,00.html

Quote:
PEOPLE are to be tortured in laboratories at Oxford University in a United States-funded experiment to determine whether belief in God is effective in relieving pain.

Top neurologists, pharmacologists, anatomists, ethicists and theologians are to examine the scientific basis of religious belief and whether it is anything more than a placebo.

Headed by Baroness Greenfield, the leading neurologist, the new Centre for the Science of the Mind is to use imaging systems to find out how religious, spiritual and other belief systems, such as an illogical belief in the innate superiority of men, influence consciousness.

A central aspect of the two-year study, which has $2 million (£1.06 million) funding from the John Templeton Foundation, the US philanthropic body, will involve dozens of people being subjected to painful experiments in laboratory conditions.

While enduring the agony, they will be exposed to religious symbols such as images of the Virgin Mary or a crucifix. Their neurological responses will be measured to determine the efficacy of their faith in helping them to cope.

The aim is to develop new and practical approaches "for promoting wellbeing and ultimately maximising individual human potential".

I'm not sure what to think about this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,025 • Replies: 9
No top replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:12 pm
Re: Believers go on rack to prove God relieves pain
ehBeth wrote:
I'm not sure what to think about this.

That makes two of us. It gave me the willies.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:13 pm
There are too many variables for this experiment to work: sensitivity, expectation of pain, drug use, circulation, attention span, whether or not the patient has had a child...

Even if they did find any results, they would most likely be ridiculed by the scientific community.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:38 pm
Hmmmm....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:39 pm
He hasn't been doing a damn thing for my back over the last week! Maybe I should stop sinning?

Nah, nevah mind. It's to much fun! :p
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:41 pm
Sin therapy. Smile

Have you gone to a chiropractor yet?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:48 pm
What gets me is that there's actually a foundation willing to spend two million bucks on this! I've just got to start writing some off-the-wall proposals.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:50 pm
Nah. It's my way of repenting for my transgressions.

If a sin a whole bunch this weekend I might need to go to the ER. Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:02 pm
Merry Andrew, I think that's what really made me go 'eh, what?'

$2,000,000 is a good chunka change, and they're gonna, what, hurt people while they're looking at crosses?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:11 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Merry Andrew, I think that's what really made me go 'eh, what?'

$2,000,000 is a good chunka change, and they're gonna, what, hurt people while they're looking at crosses?

It's absurd! Laughing No wonder I was dumbfound!
0 Replies