Congress passes`doomsday' plan

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 05:36 pm
What are your opinions on this one???

Congress passes `doomsday' plan

By Noelle Straub
Sunday, January 9, 2005

WASHINGTON - With no fanfare, the U.S. House has passed a controversial doomsday provision that would allow a handful of lawmakers to run Congress if a terrorist attack or major disaster killed or incapacitated large numbers of congressmen.

``I think (the new rule) is terrible in a whole host of ways - first, I think it's unconstitutional,'' said Norm Ornstein, a counselor to the independent Continuity of Government Commission, a bipartisan panel created to study the issue. ``It's a very foolish thing to do, I believe, and the way in which it was done was more foolish.''

But supporters say the rule provides a stopgap measure to allow the government to continue functioning at a time of national crisis.

GOP House leaders pushed the provision as part of a larger rules package that drew attention instead for its proposed ethics changes, most of which were dropped.

Usually, 218 lawmakers - a majority of the 435 members of Congress - are required to conduct House business, such as passing laws or declaring war.

But under the new rule, a majority of living congressmen no longer will be needed to do business under ``catastrophic circumstances.''

Instead, a majority of the congressmen able to show up at the House would be enough to conduct business, conceivably a dozen lawmakers or less.

The House speaker would announce the number after a report by the House Sergeant at Arms. Any lawmaker unable to make it to the chamber would effectively not be counted as a congressman.

The circumstances include ``natural disaster, attack, contagion or similar calamity rendering Representatives incapable of attending the proceedings of the House.''

The House could be run by a small number of lawmakers for months, because House vacancies must be filled by special elections. Governors can make temporary appointments to the Senate.

Rep. Brian Baird (D-Wash.), one of few lawmakers active on the issue, argued the rule change contradicts the U.S. Constitution, which states that ``a majority of each (House) shall constitute a quorum to do business.

``Changing what constitutes a quorum in this way would allow less than a dozen lawmakers to declare war on another nation,'' Baird said.

http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view.bg?articleid=62564
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 639 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Individual

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:51 pm
Eek...that's scary.

It may seem terrible, but think of what chaos a disaster would cause if we didn't have the provisions for dealing with it. It's better to have one government of a few congresspeople than no government at all.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this, Chris. Do you feel that the government is being responsible by providing plans for any scenario that may occur, or do you feel that they are passing unconstitutional legislature by allowing just a few people to have complete control over the country?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:00 pm
To late now doomsday enacted - would be to see who voted what way?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:15 pm
Well, what is the alternative? Enough congresspeople could well be killed that a quorum couldn't be obtained. Do we simply shut down the government till we can determine the exact status of enough representatives to conduct business? This does have the virtue of being passed by persons who have been elected.

I think it shows unusual foresight. Anyone disagreeing should be writing to their senators, who are going to have to approve it as well.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:39 pm
What is the current law? My understanding is that if a member of Congress can not serve, the Gov of his/her state immediately appoints a replacement to serve out the term. What's the issue?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 01:05 am
could be abused? those guys been watching 24 to much Wink
0 Replies