The New Deal Goes out with a Whimper

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2017 09:43 pm
"It is hard to overstate the significance of this bill (the new GOP Tax Cuts and Jobs Act). It is a poison pill, killing the New Deal. The series of laws put in place by Franklin Delano Roosevelt and a Democratic Congress in the 1930s regulated business so employers could no longer abuse their workers or destroy the environment. It provided basic social welfare to support the elderly and infirm, and it developed infrastructure to guarantee everyone equal access to economic opportunity." - Heather Cox Richardson

glitterbag

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2017 11:34 pm
sighhhhhh
hightor

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 05:23 am
@edgarblythe,
Why is this awful tax bill treated as if it's been etched in stone and will be in effect for the next thirty years? Can't parts of it be repealed and other supplementary tax regulations put into law by a future congress?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 05:33 am
@hightor,
The New Deal has been dying beginning with Ronald Reagan. It just has accelerated to the last gasps right now.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 07:45 am
@edgarblythe,
The demise of The New Deal has been on track to oblivion at a pace similar to that of the death of unions. People forget how bad things were and others never bothered reading their history books so they just never knew.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 08:12 am
@glitterbag,
ditto

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 06:30 am
So, back to my earlier question. What's to keep a future Congress from revising this tax bill, levying new taxes, and working to pay off deficits through dedicated revenue collection?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 06:34 am
@hightor,
It can happen, but incalculable damage will be visited on us in the meantime. And there is no guarantee it will be reversed.
maporsche

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 08:18 am
@edgarblythe,
Sometimes our choices have consequences. Maybe those who sat home or voted 3rd party will remember that in 11 months.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 08:24 am
@maporsche,
Put up a candidate deserving a vote and it will be so.
maporsche

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 08:35 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Put up a candidate deserving a vote and it will be so.

Every candidate was more deserving than Trump, you KNOW that?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 08:42 am
@maporsche,
I have already explained myself re the election. I have nothing to add and no regrets for my decision. The difference between a slow poison and a quick poison is in the long run immaterial.
maporsche

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 09:55 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I have already explained myself re the election. I have nothing to add and no regrets for my decision. The difference between a slow poison and a quick poison is in the long run immaterial.

On a long enough timeline everything is immaterial. "In geological timelines it really doesn't matter if Americans have free college or healthcare." ---

If you believe that Edgar, then why fight for anything. Childish.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 10:00 am
@maporsche,
I regret to have to say "I told you so." In your case there will be an added "Nener nener."
0 Replies