Chamomile tea: New Evidence Supports Health Benefits

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:47 am
Quote:
The researchers found that drinking the tea was associated with a significant increase in urinary levels of hippurate, a breakdown product of certain plant-based compounds known as phenolics, some of which have been associated with increased antibacterial activity. This could help explain why the tea appears to boost the immune system and fight infections associated with colds, according to the researchers.

Drinking the tea also was associated with an increase in urinary levels of glycine, an amino acid that has been shown to relieve muscle spasms. This may explain why the tea appears to be helpful in relieving menstrual cramps in women, probably by relaxing the uterus, say the researchers. Glycine also is known to act as a nerve relaxant, which may also explain why the tea seems to act as a mild sedative, the scientists note. Glycine supplements are sold in stores for that purpose, they add.

Link to American Chemical Society Article

I have known about chamomile tea since I was a kid. Used to use it as a hair rinse. It was supposed to bring out the highlights in hair!

It's interesting, though. I have not used the stuff in decades. There was a free chamomile teabag, in a box of tea that I had bought. I have to admit that it did have a calming effect on me!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,086 • Replies: 4
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:11 am
buy bulk chamomile. you getmore, you can extract the RIGHT part of the plant also.
Chamomile has many benefits.
It aids in digestion, reduces the amounts of methane gas produced after eating particulary gassy foods ( beans broccoli ) . It strenghtens the kidneys, maintains acid levels in the belly...
AND above all else.. helps calm the mood.

If you want to learn more about herbs, i have TONS of books about herbal remedies and healing properties of certain herbs. I will gladly type some up for ya. ;-)
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:16 am
I've done the hair rinsing a few times too. But I think that you have to expose your hair to the sun for better results, right? Or wrong?

Anyway, are you familiar with the wholehealthmd.com site?? It's a very good site to complementary and alternative medicine tips. You should take a look.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:21 am
Hey Shewolf...

Could you tell me about green tea? :wink:

pm me, if you could. Thanks.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:19 pm
Phoenix--

Thanks for the information. I want to believe in the calming effects of herbal teas, but my mother raised a skeptic.
0 Replies