New Jersey Plans $380 Million for Stem Cell Research

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:34 am
Quote:
TRENTON, N.J. (Reuters) - New Jersey, home to scores of top drug companies, plans to spend $380 million on stem cell research to stay in the forefront of the politically sensitive field, its acting governor said on Tuesday.

Richard Codey told the state Assembly that New Jersey will spend $150 million to build the Stem Cell Institute of New Jersey, whose founding was announced last May. Voters in November will be asked to approve a bond issue of $230 million to pay for its operation.

The state already has set aside $9.5 million in public funds for the institute to be built in New Brunswick.

The commitments make New Jersey the second biggest public backer of stem cell research after California, where voters last year approved a $3 billion bond issue to fund research.

Link to NJ stem cell funding

Well, first California, now New Jersey. Jersey is in a particularly good position to do this work, as there are many pharmaceutical companies based in that state.

Personally, I am gratified that New Jersey has decided to become involved in stem cell research. I think that the science holds the key to the cure of many diseases. It's time that more states become involved in this activity. The 21st century is upon us, and it is important that medical science forges ahead.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 989 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:17 am
I think the California referendum is having a ripple effect.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:26 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I think the California referendum is having a ripple effect.

Let's keep it coming! Very Happy
0 Replies