Goss should not be associated with CIA, says Goss.

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
I say this footage released by Michael Moore on Jay Leno this weekend.

Quote:
Michael Moore yesterday released unseen footage of the new CIA boss explaining his own unsuitability for the role. The scene, which didn't make the cut for Fahrenheit 9/11, shows Porter Goss pointing out that his lack of language and computer skills means he "wouldn't get a job" with the CIA.
A couple of quotes that will be likely included in the uncut dvd are:

Goss, who served in army intelligence and the CIA 30 years ago, said:

"I couldn't get a job with the CIA today. I am not qualified. I don't have the language skills."

Porter Goss is set to take over from George Tenet, who resigned before the 9/11 commission delivered its damning verdict on the state of the US intelligence community. He explained,

"My language skills were romance languages and stuff. We're looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background probably.

"And I certainly don't have the technical skills, as my children remind me every day: 'Dad, you got to get better on your computer.' So, the things that you need to have, I don't have."

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,221 • Replies: 24
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:25 am
And you conclude what from this statement?

He is not being recruited as an Agent and those skill he says he lacks are not necessary to lead the department.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:50 am
I conclude Goss is a hack.

Here's more evidence he's incompetent (as if any more is actually needed). Apparently monitoring terrorism only needs to be a three-days-a-week job for him:

Quote:
The daily 5 o'clock meeting at CIA headquarters that for the past three years has coordinated tactical counterterrorism operations involving senior CIA, FBI, Pentagon and Homeland Security Department officials has been cut back by new CIA Director Porter J. Goss to three a week, according to current and former administration and intelligence officials.

The sessions were initiated by former CIA director George J. Tenet because of the failures of coordination among intelligence agencies before Sept. 11, 2001. He used the sessions to push the agencies to carry out specific activities, whether at home or abroad. The meetings were continued by Tenet's former deputy, John E. McLaughlin, while he was acting director and initially by Goss.

Recently, however, Goss, a former House member and onetime CIA case officer, created "a different format," according to an administration official familiar with the program. Goss instead chairs a somewhat similar meeting with a smaller group of senior officials from the agencies, who brief him three mornings a week, the official said.

"They are still very much focused on terrorist issues," the official said. "If something exploded, [Goss] would get briefed right away."

Wa Po

"Call me if something explodes" is his approach. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:13 pm
woiyo wrote:

He is not being recruited as an Agent and those skill he says he lacks are not necessary to lead the department.

So would endores the hiring of low ranking navel officer to command a US naval submarine, an prima ballerina to coach the New England Patriots, or a lock-smith to come in and steamline your struggling business?

...it makes no sense...even from a "managerial" perspective.
Lacking relevant skills, abilities and aptitudes is lacking relevant skills, abilities and aptitudes.

The conclusion I draw from this is that you support Bushco and it's decisions no matter how asinine they appear to his least devout.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:21 pm
candidone1 wrote:
woiyo wrote:

So would endores the hiring of low ranking navel officer to command a US naval submarine, an prima ballerina to coach the New England Patriots, or a lock-smith to come in and steamline your struggling business?

Lacking relevant skills, abilities and aptitudes is lacking relevant skills, abilities and aptitudes.

The conclusion I draw from this is that you support Bushco and it's decisions no matter how asinine they appear to his least devout.

Your whole statement here is ludicrous.

Would you hire a Master Locksmith to install a latch on a shed? Would you hire a Master Electrician to change a light-bulb?

Would you hire Bill Belichick to be a starting lineman for the New England Patriots? No? Could it be because he wouldn't pass the physical? He makes a great head coach, though, doesn't he?

The conclusion you should draw is that Goss recognizes his limitations and was not hired to be a field agent, but to be head of the organization.

Your pre-disposition of all things Bush clouds your judgement and your perceptions.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Would you hire a Master Locksmith to install a latch on a shed? Would you hire a Master Electrician to change a light-bulb?

Would you hire Bill Belichick to be a starting lineman for the New England Patriots? No? Could it be because he wouldn't pass the physical? He makes a great head coach, though, doesn't he?

The conclusion you should draw is that Goss recognizes his limitations and was not hired to be a field agent, but to be head of the organization.

Your pre-disposition of all things Bush clouds your judgement and your perceptions.

You beat me to it. Very well said McG!
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:43 pm
McGentrix wrote:

It was intentionally ludicrous to make a point...one that you quickly picked up on.
I do not require a Master of anything to perform a menial task...but we aren't talking about locks on a shed, a lightbulb in a kitchen or anything as trivial as a football team.
We are talking about the CIA.

I have been searching for a homebuilder to build a house for me...and trust me, I'm looking for a master builder...you'd expect the good people of the United States to demand the same from such an agency as the CIA.

*edited to include missing word from sentence*
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:51 pm
Yes, that's why Goss was chosen for that position. He was eminently well qualified to be the head of the CIA and lo and behold, that's the job he holds.

I believe you intention here was nothing more than to attempt a "gotcha" against the Bush administration. Like you need to search very hard for that. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:12 pm
Candidone... you are engaging in debate with those who value blind partisan loyalty far over and above job skills.
Some people can readily overlook mediocrity... as long as it comes with a goosestep and a "sieg heil".
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:21 pm
Magus wrote:
Candidone... you are engaging in debate with those who value blind partisan loyalty far over and above job skills.
Some people can readily overlook mediocrity... as long as it comes with a goosestep and a "sieg heil".

You say this while at the same time displaying blind partisan loyalty over and above job skills... That's impressive. What's your next trick? Accusing the pot of being blacker than you?

Nice Godwin effect, btw.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:23 pm
Why is Goss is eminently qualified?

1. Bush says so.
2. The ability to do the job is not the primary qualification*.

*Primary qualification: kiss Bush's ass and call it ice cream.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:26 pm
I'll not do your research. You tell me why he ISN'T qualified.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:30 pm
McGentrix, JustWonders, lash, et al.:
having made yourselves into caricatures, you then resent people responding to your comic effect.
Perhaps you need a diversion... I suggest you all go salute something, or perhaps exchange "commendations" amongst yourselves.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:30 pm
I think I just stated why he's qualified.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:35 pm
Magus wrote:
McGentrix, JustWonders, lash, et al.:
having made yourselves into caricatures, you then resent people responding to your comic effect.
Perhaps you need a diversion... I suggest you all go salute something, or perhaps exchange "commendations" amongst yourselves.

Watching the liberals struggle with the inability to acheive any greatness in America is enough to keep me both entertained and satiated. I can't speak for anyone else, but I find the daily struggle enough of a diversion. Thanks for caring enough to express your concern though. I find it touching.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:36 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I think I just stated why he's qualified.

Hey, if that's all it takes for your satisfaction then great! It's good to know where your level of expectations in civil leadership exists. It could help explain much of the Democratic party leadership...
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:36 pm
The initial reason the Candidone felt that Goss was not qualified was from a statement he made as concerniong his lack of ability to speak Arabic and probable lack of technical skills in using a PC.

That seems to be enough for the Bushwackers to form an opinion championed by Michael Moore that Goss is not qualified for the job based upon the statement Goss made.

I disagree with that position that Goss is not qualified based upon those 2 items.

Maybe the Bushwackers can explain WHY the lack of those 2 skills disqualify him for the job as head of the CIA.

Please be specific as to relate them to your home improvement contractor is, well...just stupid.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
Goss, himself, considers his own skill levels insufficient.
Goss should have a better idea of what skills are TRULY required of a worthwhile (or ideal) candidate...than yer average partisan hack messageBoard poster.
And Goss states in no uncertain terms that he finds his own skill levels inadequate to the task.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:44 pm
woiyo wrote:
The initial reason the Candidone felt that Goss was not qualified was from a statement he made as concerniong his lack of ability to speak Arabic and probable lack of technical skills in using a PC.

That seems to be enough for the Bushwackers to form an opinion championed by Michael Moore that Goss is not qualified for the job based upon the statement Goss made.

I disagree with that position that Goss is not qualified based upon those 2 items.

Maybe the Bushwackers can explain WHY the lack of those 2 skills disqualify him for the job as head of the CIA.

Please be specific as to relate them to your home improvement contractor is, well...just stupid.

Thanks for redirecting woiyo...but I made an effort to find a link expanding the entire dialogue I saw on TV, but was unable.
Goss more than sold himself as a bad candidate for the CIA, in what seemed, in my humble (and insignificant) opinion, any capacity.

If I find the entire interview in text, I will surely follow up.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:56 pm
Magus wrote:
Goss, himself, considers his own skill levels insufficient.
Goss should have a better idea of what skills are TRULY required of a worthwhile (or ideal) candidate...than yer average partisan hack messageBoard poster.
And Goss states in no uncertain terms that he finds his own skill levels inadequate to the task.

Goss is discussing the skills neccessary to become a freshman field agent, not the skills neccessary to be director of the CIA. The requirements of which are well within his current capabilities. Why is that such a hard concept to understand?

Goss = Good director, bad field agent.

I have no further wish to continue this conversation until you have the facts straight.
0 Replies