Company name

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 09:47 pm
My friend is registering a company. Its Chinese name means "auspicious hope". If I want to give it a English name. What should I use? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 675 • Replies: 8
No top replies

squinney

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 09:57 pm
Definition: auspicious

[adj] attended by favorable circumstances; "an auspicious beginning for the campaign"
[adj] tending to favor or bring good luck; "miracles are auspicious accidents"; "encouraging omens"; "a favorable time to ask for a raise"; "lucky stars"; "a prosperous moment to make a decision"

Hmmm. I don't think I'd use anything with "omen" in it! What's the general product or service?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:06 pm
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:12 pm
They sell clothes, and they are a agency of a company abroad (we are in China). And I don't know if "Auspicious Hope" is OK. I think some foreign companies use abbreviation for its name, i.e. Nortel means North,Northern Telecommunication or something. So I'm not sure if we use two words is OK. Further more I don't know if it seems weird to use "auspicious" as a company name. So I need help.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:20 pm
Most people here wouldn't know what it means. (sad but true)

What age group are the clothes for or is it a full range of items for everyone? Are they targeted in any way such as sporty, dressy, or everyday wear?
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:33 pm
In China, some minor stores are not that classified. So they sell all kinds of everyday clothes. And the Chinese company name is sound like "reeshy""raisee" or something. If you can use this sound and express "a good future" or some good meaning, it will be OK.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:21 pm
I'd go with something like "Good Vibes."
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 10:11 pm
Are the Chinese characters in the company's name the same as used for the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa?

If so, that's your translation, "Good Hope"
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:10 pm
HofT wrote:
Are the Chinese characters in the company's name the same as used for the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa?

If so, that's your translation, "Good Hope"

Hehe, no, but it's a good name. Thank you.
0 Replies