help with english grammar please :)

mrf

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2017 11:20 am
hello, I need help with an abstract of my master thesis. I'm not an english native speaker so I hired a translator to translate. But my professor (who is also an english language professor) says that the word "which" is used too often and sometimes wrong. he is also not willing to be more precise Smile
Can someone please advise?

There is a brief introduction of origins and development of documentary film making, general characteristics of contemporary documentary film, along with an overview of the documentary film genres, which are relevant for the film I made, with particular emphasis on punk music in music documentaries. This is followed by a summary of the most popular methods of classification of documentary films, based on category and the method of representation, which laid the groundwork, on which the authors and viewers alike rely.

thank you so much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 365 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2017 12:53 pm
@mrf,
Mrf I tried, but need context. Especially I am curious as to whether the document in question makes special reference to music and if so, to punk. We'd also need to know who are the 'authors and viewers,' and zactly what they're writing and viewing

My first reaction is, no offense intended 'cause your version in whatever language, is doubtless flawless, the translation is awful. However, I'll make a few [wild] guesses, restricted however, to the use of 'which' :

...just recently released ..... 'How to approach the Making of Punk Music.'.......which I am hoping you'll go see !! But enough about mine. Now let's discuss, 'The Modern Documentary Music Film,' by Absolom Whichnicoff: A brief introduction describes origins and development of the documentary film and its general characteristics along with an overview of its genres, all relevant to my own film, with particular emphasis on how they're related to punk music. Less pertinent to my own efforts, it's followed by a summary of the most popular methods by which documentary films are classified, based on category [for example, definitive, historical, educational, etc....] and method of representation [by which I suppose is meant....], laying a laid the groundwork upon which the authors of such summaries and the viewers of the films described therein, alike rely.

Quote:
thank you so much!
Not sure I'd one you any good atall

Help Cen, Pond,, Eli, Blick

mrf

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2017 01:21 pm
@dalehileman,
Ha! good point dalehileman Smile

document is referring to theoretical historical context of music documentaries, punk in particular. authors = filmmakers, viewers = audience.

the groundwork I am talking about was set by classification of documentary films (classification consists of categories & methods of representation). when documentaries got classified that classification became a foundation to our understanding - set of "rules" how documentaries are made and perceived, so when we make or watch them we know how to properly portrait a certain topic.
i hope you understand Smile

yes, i thought the translation was awful, but I guess that's kinda my fault - I can't seem to form short sentences...
dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2017 01:31 pm
@mrf,
Quote:
good point
Why thanks Mfr
My, whata purty gal youse !!

Quote:
theoretical historical context
Wow, wish I could think that deep
Quote:
authors = filmmakers
Aha !!!!

Quote:
groundwork ... by classification of documentary.... of categories & methods of representation). ....oundation to our understanding ....are made and perceive.... properly portrait .....
Sure, sure 'vcourse

Quote:
i hope you understand
Bless you Mrf

Quote:
yes, i thought the translation was awful...,
So's ur teach

Quote:
....s kinda my fault -
not'tall

Quote:
I can't seem to form short sentences...