How to express it in natural English: A dad regrets that his son doesn't live up to his expectations

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 11:09 am

Such expression - "A dad regrets that his son doesn't live up to his expectations" appears to be awkward to me. But I don't know how to express it in a better, more precise way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 498 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 11:39 am
@oristarA,
Yea Ori 'tis, 'cause 'his' could mean either. Yet we'd say it that way anyhow. I suppose instead, 'That his son doesn't live up to his expectations, a dad regrets,' though terrible

I'd 'gest a better'n, but so many so much smarter'n me around....
S'ppose howevere, could say, '...A father...up to Dad's expec...'
0 Replies

AngleWyrm-paused

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 02:37 pm
@oristarA,
Disappointment (adjective)
sad or displeased because someone or something has failed to fulfill one's hopes or expectations. "I'm disappointed in you, Mary"

synonyms: upset, saddened, let down, cast down, disheartened, downhearted, downcast, depressed, dispirited, discouraged, despondent, dismayed, crestfallen, distressed, chagrined; More
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2017 12:48 pm
Kids always disappoint their parents. I wanted mine to be the new Scooby Doo gang. Have they done it? Have they ****. I can sort of understand about the talking dog, but they haven't even got a ******* van!
oristarA

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2017 10:58 pm
@izzythepush,

Scooby Gang is a good clue. But it is relatively new. Graceful wording without f* will be more appreciated. It is best that an English idiom can express it.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2017 06:18 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Such expression - "A dad regrets that his son doesn't live up to his expectations" appears to be awkward to me. But I don't know how to express it in a better, more precise way.

Expectations lead to disappointment/suffering.
0 Replies