a grammar question.

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 01:19 am
Rest assured that the UK is in no way trying to produce ENCs outside its area os reponsibility;be that of its own waters or that of areas such as the South China sea where it is the designated producer nation of international chart(海图) covering areas of international waters and consequently has requirements placed on it by WEND principles.

Is Rest a man?
Is os a mistyped word?
be that of its own waters or that of areas such as .... Is this sentense the equivalent of "whether the area outside its area os reponsibility its own water or that of ..." or of "whether its area os reponsibility its own water or that of ..."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 743 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 01:44 am
Re: a grammar question.
translatorcz wrote:
Rest assured that the UK is in no way trying to produce ENCs outside its area os reponsibility;be that of its own waters or that of areas such as the South China sea where it is the designated producer nation of international chart(海图) covering areas of international waters and consequently has requirements placed on it by WEND principles.

Is Rest a man?
Is os a mistyped word?
be that of its own waters or that of areas such as .... Is this sentense the equivalent of "whether the area outside its area os reponsibility its own water or that of ..." or of "whether its area os reponsibility its own water or that of ..."

"Rest" is not a man. It could just as easily have said: "Be assured ..."

Yes, "os" is a mistyped word. It should read: "outside its area of responsibility."

"be that of its own waters or that of areas such as..." appears to be the functional equivalent of: "whether that area (outside its area of responsibility) is outside its own waters or that of areas ..."
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 01:57 am
Re: a grammar question.
Ticomaya wrote:
translatorcz wrote:

Is Rest a man?
Is os a mistyped word?

"Rest" is not a man. It could just as easily have said: "Be assured ..."

Yes, "os" is a mistyped word. It should read: "outside its area of responsibility."

"be that of its own waters or that of areas such as..." appears to be the functional equivalent of: "whether that area (outside its area of responsibility) is outside its own waters or that of areas ..."

Rest means be? I don't quite understand you.
os is a mistyped word, ok, I think you're right.

"be that ..." : If what you say is true, I will have another question. The "be that" phrase should be an attribute of the object "ENC", why is it an attriute of a brachylogy "area".
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 07:42 am
"Rest assured" is a common phrase, and simply means the listener/reader should "not be concerned"; they should "rest" and not "get worked up." They should just "be assured" that whatever they are about to hear is the case. Make sense now?

I believe the subject "be that" is referring to is "area."
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:01 am
rest assured - rest is being used in a reassuring way

rest = relaxed, staying in one place

sort of don't worry be assured .....

a phrase as already explained by the man with the cigar
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:14 am
"Rest" is actually being used here as a verb, in the imperative tense. "Rest assured" is a command, whose subject is "you" (understood.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:15 am
"Rest assured" is a phrase with an implied subject.. "you". So if you start out that sentence, "You rest assured" or "You may rest assured," then perhaps it will make more sense.

Another way of understanding that is to translate "(you) rest assured" as "I assure you."

Those darn implied subjects... they'll get ya if ya let 'em.

I don't know what the two Chinese words mean, but here's a fairly clear translated statement, I think. Very Happy

Quote:

(You) Rest assured that the UK is in no way trying to produce ENCs outside its area os reponsibility;be that of its own waters or that of areas such as the South China sea where it is the designated producer nation of international chart(海图) covering areas of international waters and consequently has requirements placed on it by WEND principles.

You may rest asssured (that is: you do not need to worry) that the UK is in no way (i.e.: it is not) trying to produce ENCs outside of its area of responsibility; be that of its own waters (i.e.: whether that area is its own waters) or that of areas (or of other waters) such as the South China sea where it is the designated producer nation of international chart(ers?) covering areas of international waters and consequently has requirements placed on it by WEND principles.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:20 am
"be that" is just awkward.

What follows "be that" is a descriptive phrase modifying the word "area". Simply using the word "including" (preceded by a comma not a semi-colon) would have been a better way to introduce the modifying phrase.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:20 am
What the heck are ENCs? I was curious, so I looked it up...

Quote:
Electronic Navigational Charts are official nautical
charts produced by national hydrographic organisations
which are designed primarily for use on Electronic Chart
Display and Information Systems (ECDIS).

WEND is the world-wide electronic navigational database. I found that here:

http://www.ic-enc.org/page_membership_moreaboutenc.asp
0 Replies