-----------Which is correct?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,290 • Replies: 19
No top replies

DocGliss

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 03:51 pm
"Of what use is your gun?" is correct. Another way to say it might be "For what purpose do you own a gun?"
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 04:46 pm
Of what use is your gun?
What use is your gun?

Docs Gliss is right. The reason? Switch the sentence around--

Your gun is of what use?
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:04 pm
Thank you all.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:46 pm
I never argue with Roberta (because she's always right). But...ahem...there is nothing really wrong with the other expression either. It is not UNgrammatical because the preposition "of" is understood.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 01:14 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I never argue with Roberta (because she's always right). But...ahem...there is nothing really wrong with the other expression either. It is not UNgrammatical because the preposition "of" is understood.

Thank you for the controdictionary option you give out. I value it very much.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:41 am
Merry Andrew expresses the post Chomksian view that "grammar" is descriptive not prescriptive. Depending on the idiolect of your social group, even expressions like "aint not got one" are on the descriptive view considered to be grammatical.

Of course foreign learners of English have to be given "general rules of grammaticality", but if you actually uttered the sentence "Of what use is your gun" native speakers would immediately know you were a foreigner.
i.e. Language is about "communication" which implies convergence of speaker and listener. It is a mark of "intelligence" to switch register (idiolect) according to situation and hence "grammar" can be considered to be a form of "stylistics".
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 03:53 am
fresco wrote:
Merry Andrew expresses the post Chomksian view that "grammar" is descriptive not prescriptive. Depending on the idiolect of your social group, even expressions like "aint not got one" are on the descriptive view considered to be grammatical.

Of course foreign learners of English have to be given "general rules of grammaticality", but if you actually uttered the sentence "Of what use is your gun" native speakers would immediately know you were a foreigner.
i.e. Language is about "communication" which implies convergence of speaker and listener. It is a mark of "intelligence" to switch register (idiolect) according to situation and hence "grammar" can be considered to be a form of "stylistics".

That is very important for me as a foreigner. I'm just a English learner between the beginner and the advanced learner. So the difference is important for me to learn. Thank you. I appreciate it very much.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 09:40 am
fresco is correct. Most native English speakers would probably say "What use is your gun", although "Of what use is your gun" is more proper grammatically.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 04:43 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
fresco is correct. Most native English speakers would probably say "What use is your gun", although "Of what use is your gun" is more proper grammatically.

No, Andrew, Frescoe is not correct. Frescoe is wrong. There is nothing grammatically wrong with either sentence. Fronting the preposition <of> makes the one sentence more formal but that's all. More formal does NOT mean more grammatical or more correct.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:33 am
I agree that both sentences are essentially correct. The one with the "of" would be better in written English, which tends to be more formal than spoken English.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:36 am
JTT wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

No, Andrew, Frescoe is not correct. Frescoe is wrong. There is nothing grammatically wrong with either sentence. Fronting the preposition <of> makes the one sentence more formal but that's all. More formal does NOT mean more grammatical or more correct.

I never said there was anything "grammatically wrong" with either sentence. Neither did fresco, as far as I can see.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:40 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
JTT wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
... Most native English speakers would probably say "What use is your gun", although "Of what use is your gun" is more proper grammatically.

Quote:
I never said there was anything "grammatically wrong" with either sentence. Neither did fresco, as far as I can see.

Grammatical is not a scalar thing, Andrew. Both sentences are perfectly grammatical.

"Proper" is also not something that increases as we move from informal language to more formal to highly formal. Highly formal language isn't any more "proper" than the most casual of language.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
CGEL: It has been a common assumption of prescriptivists that only formal style is grammatically correct. ... The standard language embraces a range of styles, from formal through neutral to informal. A satisfactory grammar must describe them all. It is not that formal style keeps to the rules and informal style departs from them; rather, formal and informal styles have partially different rules.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:19 pm
JTT

Have actually read what I wrote ?

I made no statement about correct/incorrect. I implied that recent views of "grammar" are about "appropriateness" vis-a-vis idiolect. i.e grammar is descriptive not prescriptive. Is that the point with which you agree ?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:21 pm
crossed in the post..you obviously do !
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:30 pm
fresco wrote:
JTT

Have actually read what I wrote ?

I made no statement about correct/incorrect. I implied that recent views of "grammar" are about "appropriateness" vis-a-vis idiolect. i.e grammar is descriptive not prescriptive. Is that the point with which you agree ?

Here it is again, Frescoe.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

JTT:

It seems that I have misunderstod what you were saying, Frescoe. I apologise.

But your inaccurate description of what descriptivists find grammatical misled me. Descriptivism does not mean that language is a free for all.

And,

"if you actually uttered the sentence "Of what use is your gun" native speakers would immediately know you were a foreigner."

This could easily be spoken by any ENL, so why would it mark someone as a foreigner?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
Okay...my answer was tailored to the original questioner who as a non-native requested "a ruling". In general nuances of usage tend to escape foreigners to the extent that the concept of "English" itself is problematic exacerbated by its status as a lingua franca. Formal linguists sometimes forget the social dynamics within which idiolectical "rules" operate, including the dynamics involved in responses to a chat-room thread such as this ! Compris ? :wink:
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:38 am
fresco wrote:
Okay...my answer was tailored to the original questioner who as a non-native requested "a ruling". In general nuances of usage tend to escape foreigners to the extent that the concept of "English" itself is problematic exacerbated by its status as a lingua franca. Formal linguists sometimes forget the social dynamics within which idiolectical "rules" operate, including the dynamics involved in responses to a chat-room thread such as this ! Compris ? :wink:

Then might I suggest that simply saying; "Of what Use .." indicates a more formal structure [or a strident one] and the other, "what use is ..." reflects more the normal neutral type structure.

There are theoretical linguists such as Noam Chomsky and there are more 'practical' linguists. But you're mistaken on the social dynamics part. It's the prescriptivists who have ignored, do ignore the social dynamics of language.

The CGEL, linguists all, spends a great deal of time and effort pointing out these prescriptions that were made out of thin air, with no regard to how language actually works. Even that mighty tome exerts great efforts to explain the social dynamics of language. What else could a descriptive approach do?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 01:04 am
Although your suggestion, which inludes the word "formal" is fine for the original questioner, you seem have misunderstood my level of analysis in the last response as you seem to think there is a "correct" answer here.

My phrase "formal linguist" implies anybody (prescriptivist or descriptivist) who attempts to make universal rulings. Within a "stylistic approach" rules can be local and temporary, extreme examples of which can be found in poetry. But since this thread demanded "a ruling" one is tempted to give statistically based "advice", and to debunk the word "formal". Such a response to the questioner embraces not only his question but previous answers to him from those whose think "English" is singular entity.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 07:27 am
fresco wrote:
Although your suggestion, which inludes the word "formal" is fine for the original questioner, you seem have misunderstood my level of analysis in the last response as you seem to think there is a "correct" answer here.

And 'here' would be where?

Quote:

My phrase "formal linguist" implies anybody (prescriptivist or descriptivist) who attempts to make universal rulings. Within a "stylistic approach" rules can be local and temporary, extreme examples of which can be found in poetry. But since this thread demanded "a ruling" one is tempted to give statistically based "advice", and to debunk the word "formal". Such a response to the questioner embraces not only his question but previous answers to him from those whose think "English" is singular entity.

Forgive me, Frescoe, I may be mistaken but you seem to not understand what a descriptivist is. Descriptivists don't make rulings. They tell how language operates, and for this they look at the only group in the universe using a particular language, ie. its users.

I missed the statistically based advice. Could you direct me to it again?

I also missed the debunking of 'formal' portion. Once more, could you direct me there, please?
0 Replies