"Bill Clinton should have resigned"

revelette1

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 10:36 am
@najmelliw,
Quote:
Just because she would exhibit the same sort of behavior, does not excuse his own...

If he did as alleged, no it wouldn't. I mean he would have to be pretty darn arrogant to do it right there with her husband taking the picture. I am not saying he didn't touch her on her butt, but perhaps not with the intent of sexual gratification.

For now on, public men are going to have to be very careful like the one who asked how they want the picture taken, where to put the arms.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2017 02:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Bill Clinton should have resigned
What he did to Monica Lewinsky was wrong, and he should have paid the price.

Quote:
Looking back after the election of Donald Trump, the revelations of massive sexual harassment scandals at Fox News, the stories about Harvey Weinstein and others in the entertainment industry, and the stories about Roy Moore’s pursuit of sexual relationships with teenagers, I think we got it wrong. We argued about perjury and adultery and the meaning of the word “is.” Republicans prosecuted a bad case against a president they’d been investigating for years.

What we should have talked about was men abusing their social and economic power over younger and less powerful women.

I have long maintained that we got it wrong with Bill Clinton as well, and were giving him a pass for partisan reasons for behavior that should not have been acceptable.

If so, you were among a small minority of progressives/liberals/Democrats.

Prior to Clinton, sexual indiscretions (let alone) abuse was enough to derail a candidacy...when they became generally known. Accepting them if they are kept hidden is a bit hypocritical but at least it doesn't represent a green light for such behavior. If you give a pass to POTUS, where do you draw the line, and how do you argue that what was good for the goose (Clinton) isn't good for the gander (Trump).

It's ironic, but in the conservative bastions of established major corporation, incidents of sexual harassment have been driven way down due to an increased refusal to tolerate them and environments where complaints are encouraged. I'm sure it still happens, but nowhere near the degree to which it is happening in generally liberal organizations in the entertainment and news business.

It's late in coming but these revelations will help clean up the industries in which this behavior seems to be running rampant. It's too much to hope that it will teach some of the most sanctimonious, among us, a measure of humility, but when do such people ever learn?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2017 03:19 pm
Doesn't matter what one's politics, it is spread equally over the spectrum.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2017 03:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It's ironic, but in the conservative bastions of established major corporation, incidents of sexual harassment have been driven way down due to an increased refusal to tolerate them and environments where complaints are encouraged.

That's interesting.

Goldberg has another opinion piece (NYT) and says.
Quote:
It’s not a coincidence that the post-Harvey Weinstein purge of sexual harassers has been largely confined to liberal-leaning fields like Hollywood, media and the Democratic Party. This isn’t because progressive institutions are more sexist than others — I’m confident there’s at least as much sexual abuse in finance as in publishing. Rather, organizations with liberal values have suddenly become extremely responsive to claims of sexism. (...) As a result, it sometimes feels as if liberal institutions are devouring themselves over sex while conservatives, unburdened by the pretense of caring about gender equality, blithely continue their misrule.

From what you say, perhaps her last sentence shows that she may be misinformed or biased?

She also wrote this, which I'm quoting here not in response to you directly but because maxdaconda objected to the idea so vehemently when I posited something similar:
Quote:
Adding to the confusion is the way so many different behaviors are being lumped together. Weinstein’s sadistic serial predation isn’t comparable to Louis C.K.’s exhibitionism. The groping Franken has been accused of isn’t in the same moral universe as Moore’s alleged sexual abuse of minors.

I notice that Mr. Trump has just come out in defense of Roy Moore:
Quote:
"If you look at what is really going on, and you look at all the things that have happened over the last 48 hours, he totally denies it,” Mr. Trump said. “He says it didn’t happen. You have to listen to him also.”

Okay.
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2017 04:39 pm
@hightor,
TRump has spake that hed rather see a deviant republican than a democrat become a senator."Then , when it all settles in court and we see whether hes guilty or not , then he should resign". SOunds like sentencing before judgement (traffic courts do it to speed up the case load).

But if hes found guilty it aint just losing a seat, it 9 to 12
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2017 02:55 pm
@hightor,
Goldberg is both misinformed and biased. She is also a major league apologist for the Left. Her columns shouldn't be taken with even a grain of salt.

I've spent my adult lifetime in Corporate America - I know of what I speak.

I entered when sexual harassment was rampant and I'm leaving when it is well under control. Along the way, I've seen pigs get theirs and innocent men take a fall. In the end, the environment is much better than it was.

The reason why the same reform didn't come to progressive institutions is that no one was focused on them. It was smugly assumed that the problem didn't exist within them.

Trump defending Moore has nothing to do with this issue.
hightor

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2017 04:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The reason why the same reform didn't come to progressive institutions is that no one was focused on them.

I honestly don't know enough about "progressive institutions" to come to any conclusions. I do believe that the entertainment industry is probably not a representative example — the casting couch tradition, the culture of Hollywood, Borscht Belt comic innuendo, the whole tee-hee attitude toward promiscuity — an industry fairly fueled on lighthearted sexual chicanery. Maybe higher education? Publishing?
Quote:
It was smugly assumed that the problem didn't exist within them.

Maybe it was seen as an individual rather than an institutional problem?
Quote:
Trump defending Moore has nothing to do with this issue.

(I know. I should have labeled that more specifically — I had simply noticed it as a breaking headline and wanted to post it.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 03:33 am
Writing about Clinton’s sexcapades.

http://mondoweiss.net/2017/11/clinton-scandals-entailed/

Excerpt:

In the late 1990s my journalistic career got a flat tire when I became wrapped up in the Clinton scandals. Good liberal friends told me I was overzealous or helping the other side. I had been assigned to write an article for the New York Times Magazine about Why People Hate Bill Clinton so much, but instead of doing a cultural examination of red state resistance to his social agenda, which is what the editors wanted, I went native in Arkansas and took his accusers seriously.

Today the Clinton scandals are getting a rehearing because of the revolution that is taking place in our mores, and in the structure of the patriarchy itself, due to the sexual harassment scandals that are felling powerful men. Many of these scandals mirror elements of the Clinton story. When Lindsey Graham asked in the House, Is this Peyton Place or Watergate? we said, Watergate. It was never just about a blowjob.

The two signature moments of the Clinton scandals both involve threats and sex. And anyone exploring these scandals 20 years on needs to reckon with these moments.
0 Replies