Free, reliable news and discussions from the political right (US)

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 04:45 am
I tend to look at the news from my own political pov, and hence focus on the 'left' side of the spectrum. However, I feel that this doesn't help broaden my understanding of the issues and problems in politics (mostly us, but I guess on a larger scale too), since my news sources are skewed towards my own pov: it'll probably skip and gloss over valid points the other side of the spectrum makes.

I'm somewhat leery these days of the news on the internet though, as I want to be properly informed, and not fall unintentional victim to fake news, hence my question here: what are good/the best news sources out there for free that cover the news from the right side of the political spectrum?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 953 • Replies: 13
No top replies

blatham

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:13 am
@najmelliw,
It is a bit tough these days to find quality right wing political commentary. There are a lot of reasons for this I won't bother getting into. The American Conservative site is certainly valuable. The National Review and the Weekly Standard can be as well but the quality of commentary at both have suffered greatly over the last year and a half.

I think your best bet (this is how I try to handle the dilemma presently) is to read as much as you have time for from right wing and left wing voices and as you do this, try to get a sense of whether those voices (and sites) are careful, educated and willing to criticize themselves (or other members of their "side").
maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:27 am
@najmelliw,
Are you sure that generic websites is the best strategy for getting a different viewpoint? We are a politically polarized country largely because people don't consider issues with any depth.

My advice is to separate issues from political ideology. Look at issues from more than one perspective, and to look at it issue by issue. On abortion there are intelligent voices with a spectrum of opinions. Seek them out. On immigration, there are intelligent voices with more than one perspective. On feminism, on economics, on race... I think if you want any in depth understanding you have to seek out voices from different viewpoints.
najmelliw

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 06:18 am
@blatham,
Thank you, I'll check these out. This is how I want to progress with these sites (and all sites I view as a source of news/education in general): I'll most certainly try to make up my mind in regards as to whether I can trust them content wise by some fact checking.
najmelliw

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 06:28 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Are you sure that generic websites is the best strategy for getting a different viewpoint? We are a politically polarized country largely because people don't consider issues with any depth.

My advice is to separate issues from political ideology. Look at issues from more than one perspective, and to look at it issue by issue. On abortion there are intelligent voices with a spectrum of opinions. Seek them out. On immigration, there are intelligent voices with more than one perspective. On feminism, on economics, on race... I think if you want any in depth understanding you have to seek out voices from different viewpoints.

Thank you for your answer. I have formed my own opinions over the years by arguing with friends and relatives regarding the subject matter, and reading/watching documentaries etc. about them in depth. I am well aware that the overall tendency these days seems to be to infuse all sorts of news/stories with the political ideology for either the left or the right, and I deplore this. But I tend to be able to filter that out reasonably well, I think: for instance in regards to abortion, I have read in depth about both the pro's and the cons, and I have formed my own opinion, in which I have taken pains to make sure that I always acknowledge the valid points the 'other' side makes as well.

I just recently caught myself out that I rely overly much on more left oriented news sources, since they stroke a lot with my own pov. So I'm asking this question precisely to read up on how the rightwing currently feels about topics such as the ones you mention.
blatham

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 06:29 am
@najmelliw,
Good luck. Warning: it can be a tough task trying to sort out the truth (or best available version of it) and even though I've been studying US politics for decades and even though I read quite widely, I'm often befuddled. But each of us just has to do the best we can. And I think it's important we try to get things right.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:54 pm
@najmelliw,
The interesting part of many of these issues is that they are far more complex, and muli-faceted, than the often inane public debates would have you think. Take abortion, if you listen to either side, you would think that there is a clear line between pro-life, and pro-choice.

In truth there is a multitude of issues, from the respect of religious beliefs and ethnic practices, to health care issues, to medical ethics.

I guess it is easier to pick a side and start yelling.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:58 pm
@najmelliw,
Quote:
what are good/the best news sources out there for free that cover the news from the right side of the political spectrum?

Here you go, since nobody else wants to answer:

Hot Air
National Review
RedState
OutsideTheBeltway
Volokh Conspiracy (legal stuff)

Cycloptichorn
maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 02:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You have an interesting understanding of the word "best" Cyclo. What would you say are the best news sources from the left? RedState, DailyKos... they don't offer any real discussion of issues and they are not often very deep.

Writers like George Will, or Christina Hoff Sommers are where you should go if you want well-thought out points of view that just might challenge your way of thinking.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 03:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh, please. George Will is a gasbag and nothing more. He has little to nothing in common with the right-wing these days.

OP asked:

Quote:
what are good/the best news sources out there for free that cover the news from the right side of the political spectrum?

I stand by my answer, which is better than anyone else's in this thread by a mile.

Cycloptichorn
maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 08:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Ok Cyclo, let me ask you this. Who are the conservative writers/thinkers that you respect? Can you name someone outside of your political bubble that you think is intelligent and has a good point?

If you say that George Will is a "gasbag", then that is one thing. But if you think everyone outside of your political bubble is a "gasbag", then I suspect that your judgement might be a little distorted by ideology.

Najmelliw is specifically looking for viewpoint that will challenge his or her ideology and find valid points that are outside the bubble. That is noble.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 09:03 pm
Try this article
http://uproxx.com/life/best-political-podcasts-right-now/5/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 04:33 am
The BBC often interviews journalists from The Spectator for a right wing perspective.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 04:52 am
Thank you all for the suggested sources. I hoped fro two or three to chose from, but it seems I have a lot of choices to narrow down now. Seems like I'll be immersing myself in newssites for a while to come Smile
0 Replies