Are Americans OK with Israelis living in their country ?

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 12:15 pm
Even though they oppose the large amount of influence Israel has over their government and policies ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 876 • Replies: 22

centrox

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 12:37 pm
Most Americans aren't so stupid as to blame individual Israelis for things done by their government.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 12:51 pm
@centrox,
Ditto
0 Replies

TomFromIsrael

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 12:52 pm
@centrox,
I doubt that very much. Many Americans are sick and tired of Israel and oppose the US-Israel alliance and the fact Israel receives so much money from American tax payers to do things Americans find abhorrent.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 12:54 pm
@TomFromIsrael,
I have never heard anyone ever mention such a thing. It’s a peculiar question. What made you ask?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 01:10 pm
@TomFromIsrael,
Yes, your sample size of four guys is truly scientific. Will you be publishing that in a peer-reviewed journal next?
centrox

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 01:45 pm
@TomFromIsrael,
TomFromIsrael wrote:
I doubt that very much. Many Americans are sick and tired of Israel and oppose the US-Israel alliance and the fact Israel receives so much money from American tax payers to do things Americans find abhorrent.

"Many"? Somewhat vague. Anyone who takes an interest in international affairs, including Israel, would not lump Amos Oz and Bibi Netenyahu together although they are both Israelis.
TomFromIsrael

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 01:45 pm
@jespah,
It's hundreds of people I've seen online complaining about Israel. It's way more than 4 people.
TomFromIsrael

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 01:49 pm
@centrox,
as long as this "anyone" is not American, I agree. Americans have a terrible habit of seeing all Israelis as right wing racist jerks. Plus, their opposition extends way beyond Netanyahu. They hate the entire state of Israel for many reasons.

I once considered moving to the US but I'm afraid of doing that. I'm afraid people will reject me 'cause I'm Israeli and I'll be socially isolated. Maybe I should move to Canada where everyone is welcome. Plus, Trudeau is way better than Trump.
centrox

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 02:06 pm
I have to pick my words here carefully, Tom, because I don't want to make a personal attack on you, but you seem awfully prone to making excessively wide generalisations that suggest either ignorance or prejudice, both of which you seem fond of preaching against. The whole effect is similar to someone in a bar who behaves in a mouthy, provocative way, out of bravado or possible personality issues, as if they are intent on starting a fight, except that we aren't all in a bar together, and you are safe from getting a punch in the snoot.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 02:11 pm
@TomFromIsrael,
TomFromIsrael wrote:
Maybe I should move to Canada

I'm fairly sure we're not going to like you.
TomFromIsrael

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 02:16 pm
@ehBeth,
why is that ? I have nothing against Canada or its people. Just because I have some problem with Americans (or more correctly - they have a problem with me) doesn't mean I am a bad person or that I wouldn't be a contributive member of Canadian society. Plus, I know Canadians. They like everyone as long as they aren't jerks, which is the right attitude. All Canadians I came across have been lovely.
jespah

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 02:16 pm
@TomFromIsrael,
1) There are almost 326 million people in the United States.
https://www.livepopulation.com/country/united-states.html
I'll be generous and say you've seen 1,000 people bitching online. That's 0.0000036% of the US population. Increase it to even 1 million Americans (and that doesn't even begin to take into account people you may have seen twice or that you think are American but aren't) and it's still less than 1/3 of 1% of the entire US population. It is statistically insignificant.

2) You're obviously not everywhere online. No one can be. I put it to you that you're seeing this because of the places you're hanging out at - which are clearly not A2K, I might add. If you're seeing that sentiment here, it is far from the majority's POV.

3) Confirmation bias/looking for such statements online. When every problem looks like a nail, then every solution looks like a hammer. When you only go looking for people from America bitching about Israelis, then that'll be all you see. Go to the forums for Toyota, or the Fox News website, or the Washington Post's website, or CNET, and tons of other places where people hang out online, and that won't be all you see.

4) Make a topic about how much you hate Israelis (and yourself, apparently, but I'll leave the armchair psychoanalysis to others), and you'll attract people who'll bitch about such things. Make a topic about how you love lime jello and you'll attract people who'll rhapsodize about it.

So, you got any basis for your statements other than antisemitism?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 02:24 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
, except that we aren't all in a bar together, and you are safe from getting a punch in the snoot.

if he talks like this in a bar in Canada, he'll have to watch his snoot
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 02:26 pm
@TomFromIsrael,
TomFromIsrael wrote:
Plus, I know Canadians.

no

you know some Canadians

you do not know Canadians

__

we do not like everyone

we do not like people who are rude about our neighbour friends in the US
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 03:25 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
if he talks like this in a bar in Canada, he'll have to watch his snoot

I have been reading some books about the Canadian army in Europe during WW2 - the Dieppe raid, D-Day, Normandy and right though to the liberation of Holland, plus Italy. Proportionally, they "saved our asses" just as much as another nation, yet they are very reticent about it. Such bravery and sacrifice. And practically all volunteers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 04:36 pm
@TomFromIsrael,
I once hired three guys from The Weismann Institute (I think its near Rehovoth). From what I know from them, ALL ISRAELI's are PhD geophysicists who are also militqry sappers or tank officers. Am I right???
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 05:07 pm
@TomFromIsrael,
TomFromIsrael wrote:
Are Americans OK with Israelis living in their country ?

Yes.

TomFromIsrael wrote:
Even though they oppose the large amount of influence Israel has over their government and policies ?

Israel does not have a large influence over our government and policies. When America supports Israel, it isn't because of influence; it is because supporting Israel is the right thing to do.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 05:08 pm
@TomFromIsrael,
TomFromIsrael wrote:

We do have some anti-Semites in America. Those anti-Semites are vocal about such things, and often pretend that they speak for everyone here. Sometimes they even pretend to speak for the entire world.

But those anti-Semites are a minority. The majority of Americans reject their hate.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 05:14 pm
So are you this guy: https://able2know.org/user/israeliselfhater/