Bush's Education Dept. paid commentator to promote law

PDiddie

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 04:02 pm
This shouldn't be a partisan issue.

All sides have an interest in ensuring that their tax dollars aren't being spent on partisan or ideological propaganda.

Quote:
In response to continued revelations of government-funded "journalism" -- ranging from the purported video news releases put out by the drug czar's office and the Department of Health and Human Services to the recently uncovered payments to columnists Armstrong Williams and Maggie Gallagher, who flacked administration programs -- Sens. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) and Frank R. Lautenberg (D-N.J.) will introduce a bill, The Stop Government Propaganda Act, in the Senate next week.

"It's just not enough to say, 'Please don't do it anymore,'" Alex Formuzis, Lautenberg's spokesman, told E&P. "Legislation sometimes is required and we believe it is in this case."

The Stop Government Propaganda Act states, "Funds appropriated to an Executive branch agency may not be used for publicity or propaganda purposes within the United States unless authorized by law."

"It's time for Congress to shut down the Administration's propaganda mill," Lautenberg said in a statement. "It has no place in the United States Government." The bill is co-sponsored by Sens. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) and Jon Corzine (D-N.J.).

Formuzis told E&P that while the bill is being introduced by Democrats, its message and intent is something endorsed by Republicans and Democrats alike.

"We only have a few senators on the bill so far, but we hope and expect that we'll get a number of others to sign on to the legislation once we introduce it," he said. "This is not a Republican or Democratic issue. This is an issue about an independent press, and I think that's something that will cross party lines."

Editor and Publisher
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:15 am
Ticomaya wrote:
PDiddie wrote:
This whole racket seems designed to support third-rate conservative pundits. Who the hell are these guys?

Other than "marriage experts", I mean....

They are just that ... experts hired to do what they are expert at. As it is, they also write a column. I'm speaking specifically about these last 2, both of whom were hired for their knowledge in their field of expertise. Should the government be precluded from hiring an expert if that person happens to write a column? What these 2 should have done was disclose the fact of payment to their readers. That's just the right thing to do.

Clearly not hired merely for expertise...yes? Predictable, dependable support for administration policies fits in the equation as the more senior requirement. Of course, I might be wrong and we may find - I'm expectant - that the administration has also paid Eric Alterman to talk about administration media policies.

Of course it is the 'right thing to do' for anyone in a position such as theirs to fess up they are getting money from the government. But the significant guilt here lies with an administration that is operating as if it were publishing Pravda.

Tendencies such as this one, to just void fundamental principles of democratic process for the ends of PR and electoral gain, are deeply unsettling.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:30 am
blatham wrote:
Clearly not hired merely for expertise...yes? ...

What makes this "clear" to you?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 03:39 pm
Quote:
Spellings Vows Tought Spending Controls

Tuesday February 1, 2005

By BEN FELLER

AP Education Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Education Secretary Margaret Spellings says she will aggressively oversee the ways her department promotes its agenda, after flaps over a gay-themed children's show and a hired media pundit dominated her first days on the job.

``We need to know what we're getting,'' Spellings told The Associated Press on Tuesday in her first interview as secretary. ``I mean, we need to have a clearer, brighter line so that we don't discover late in the process that this is what is coming down the pike.''

As for the major education development of the Bush administration, the No Child Left Behind law, she said she might consider changing enforcement if legitimate concerns emerge. She named such possible areas as the testing of disabled children or teacher-quality struggles in rural regions. But she said some topics are off the table, including regular testing, which she called ``the linchpin of the whole doggone thing.''

At 47, Spellings is the new public face of education for the administration, but she has spent a decade as a senior adviser to George W. Bush in Texas and as his domestic policy chief in the White House.

She is the first mom with school-aged children to be education secretary. One of her daughters attends a Catholic high school, the other a public middle school, both in Alexandria, Va.

Less than two weeks after replacing Rod Paige, Spellings is promising change.

The Education Department has shut down its contract with Ketchum, the public relations firm hired primarily to promote Bush's education law. Of the $1.3 million contract, about $240,000 went to commentator Armstrong Williams. The money went toward the production of ads, the department says, although Williams was also hired to promote the law in other ways.

``There's nobody who's more concerned about the credibility of this department and the credibility of No Child Left Behind - and how those two go together - than I am,'' Spellings said. ``And I have a high interest in making sure that we address this and move on.''

Spellings said she and her chief of staff, David Dunn, who spent time at the department last year, did not know the agency had hired Williams until some point after the contract was signed. The department's inspector general is investigating the Williams deal.

``Is it right and appropriate to educate communities about this law? Yes,'' she said. ``Is it right to pay columnists who represent themselves as legitimate news people? No.''

Spellings defended her criticism of PBS for producing an episode of ``Postcards from Buster'' that included two lesbian couples. The department provides money for the children's show through a federal program designed to help kids learn through television.

PBS has decided not to distribute the show, but some stations are running it anyway.

``On lifestyle issues, I think it's appropriate for parents to deal with those and address those as they see fit, in their own way and in their own time,'' Spellings said. ``I believe that as a mother, and I believe that as a policy-maker. For the Department of Education or public broadcasting to get into things that are, you know, in a grayer area, is just not something we need to do.''

Asked if her move signals a more conservative approach from the department, Spellings said the agency won't get into such local matters as whether a gay teacher leads a classroom. It will get involved, she said, when federal tax dollars are being used.

The heart of Spellings' agenda is getting all children at least to grade level in reading and math, the central goal of No Child Left Behind. That remains a huge undertaking, as many students, particularly poor and minority kids, remain below federal standards in the basics.

In the interview, Spellings said that ``horror stories'' about the law have more to do with misunderstandings than the law itself.

It's the department's job, she said, to help end the ``misinformation and anxiety'' among people who think the law is forcing them to cut arts classes, gym or even their spelling bee.

Schools officials have welcomed her early pledge to listen to complaints about the law, which demands higher student performance and penalizes many schools that fall short.

But Spellings added Tuesday: ``I don't want people to misperceive that we're open for business, and that No Child Left Behind is up - it's not.''

In fact, Spellings will lead Bush's campaign to expand the law by requiring two more years of state testing in high schools. Some members of Congress are balking, but Spellings said support from governors and federal promises of more aid will help build support.

Asked when the administration will push Congress to take it up, Spellings said: ``In four years, I've learned one thing, and that is you cannot predict the timetable of Congress.''
Source
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 04:02 pm
Quote:
"Spellings Vows Tought Spending Controls"

Either someone made a typo, or they need to be taught a lesson themselves.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 04:22 pm
Seems, a couple of night (online) editorial journalists just took the original AP report without looking through it :wink:
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 04:47 pm
Tought should be Taut? Or Tough, maybe?

Sounds like a phonetic error to me...

She can begin tightening up by getting conservative pundits off the dole.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 04:50 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Tought should be Taut? Or Tough, maybe?

Sounds like a phonetic error to me...

They should hire liberal pundits?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 04:54 pm
Quote:
Education Secretary Margaret Spellings says she will aggressively oversee the ways her department promotes its agenda, after flaps over a gay-themed children's show and a hired media pundit dominated her first days on the job.

Sounds like the little finger in the wind test didn't go so goooood. Interesting.

Quote:
``There's nobody who's more concerned about the credibility of this department and the credibility of No Child Left Behind - and how those two go together - than I am,'' Spellings said. ``And I have a high interest in making sure that we address this and move on.''

I'll bet she does. Let's say some platitudes over it and sweep it out of sight. Good policy, georgie.

Quote:
Spellings said she and her chief of staff, David Dunn, who spent time at the department last year, did not know the agency had hired Williams until some point after the contract was signed. The department's inspector general is investigating the Williams deal.

So when he learned about it, why didn't he report it then? Big mystery on this one.

Quote:
``Is it right and appropriate to educate communities about this law? Yes,'' she said. ``Is it right to pay columnists who represent themselves as legitimate news people? No.''

She does have a point here. Let's see if I understand her, um.........one plus one makes two? I wonder why she waited until it came out through other channels before she made this pronouncement.

Will we hear these questions being asked in the media? Has anyone heard?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 05:04 pm
I thought (wrong again) the the agenda of the republican party (since Reagan) was to do away with the Dept of Ed.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 05:32 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

They should hire no pundits. What's wrong with you? Pretending to be dense (actually it's rarely pretense) is the singular talent of lots of others here. But not you.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:43 am
PDiddie wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
PDiddie wrote:

They should hire no pundits. What's wrong with you? Pretending to be dense (actually it's rarely pretense) is the singular talent of lots of others here. But not you.

I don't think there's anything wrong with me. Why do you think I'm pretending to be dense? You appeared to be making a distinction between conservative and non-conservative pundits. If you intended to say "She can begin tightening up by getting pundits off the dole." you could have stated it that way.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:53 am
tico

PD's suggestion isn't without grounds. A page back you quoted a sentence of mine quite ignoring the related, and acutely relevant, Alterman point.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:51 am
blatham wrote:
tico

PD's suggestion isn't without grounds. A page back you quoted a sentence of mine quite ignoring the related, and acutely relevant, Alterman point.

Okay, "clearly not hired merely for expertise" ... because they also can be counted on being supportive of the administration policies. Quite right, if your main point is that they aren't going to hire an anti-Bush liberal expert to perform services. I'm afraid your point was lost on me for two reasons: (1) I didn't have the foggiest notion of whom Eric Alterman was, nor did I have the inclination at the moment of that post to research the point, and (2) I was speaking specifically in my prior post about the fact that those two were hired for their expertise, not because they wrote a column. I was not offering up the proposition that the Administration should hire any expert who writes a column -- I certainly do not think they should -- simply that they shouldn't necessarily be precluded from hiring an expert merely because that expert writes a column. You do see the distinction?

I concede your point, as I now understand it to be, but I fail to see how it relates in any material way to my point.

And for future reference, please feel free to point out where you feel I've misunderstood you, rather than just assuming I'm feigning denseness. :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:05 pm
tico

My apologies. In the future, if I'm uncertain whether you are being purposeful Homer Simpsonish or just guilty of misunderstanding, I shall seek clarification.

But, you really ought to know who Alterman is, and you really ought to read his book 'what liberal meida'. If for no other reason than to see top level journalism.

And, I think your claim these three were hired for expertise alone is naive, extremely. Most particularly that's clear in the case you acknowledge to be different, but in the two others (so far) as well.

This is a bad-for-democracy trend. This is the sort of public manipulation technique that Pravda represented. Clinton has his own way of influencing reporters...he'd call them up at any hour day or night and talk policy-wonk with them. Of course, this would be experienced as no small compliment. It charmed them to pieces. Also, it informed them how knowledgable and interested that president was in policy matters (and he surely was both). Not every president would be able to pull that off.

Most important though, I think, is that it avoided two techqniques this administration uses to get its message out...bullying and covert deals. You're a smart guy, and I suspect your partisanship isn't of the sort that won't allow you to speak against the bad stuff.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:38 pm
Blatham wrote:
And, I think your claim these three were hired for expertise alone is naive, extremely. Most particularly that's clear in the case you acknowledge to be different, but in the two others (so far) as well.

My partisanship allows me to speak out against the "bad stuff" (a conveniently undefined term). It would be preferable if your partisanship would allow you to refrain from assuming a guilty motive merely based upon an appearance of impropriety. Regrettably, it is human nature for you (not just you, but I certainly think I can include you in this group) to assume the Bush Administration is generally purely evil as your default position; while I'm inclined, on the other hand (and for better or worse), to allow the dust to settle and analyse what is really going on, rather than jumping to conclusions.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:10 pm
Armstrong Williams? Not enough dust settled yet?

It is true that I really don't like this crowd. But 'purely evil'...no, I don't think the term 'evil' is coherent or very useful. And 'purely' means 'only' here, and that's never true.

I do think them more dangerous, by far, than Nixon's bunch. Dangerous to democracy and long term stability, that is. It's a reasonably well educated opinion and has some predictive power...they usually do what I think they will.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:13 pm
Quote:
Regrettably, it is human nature for you (not just you, but I certainly think I can include you in this group) to assume the Bush Administration is generally purely evil as your default position;

Purely Evil is the term your side likes to use. We prefer 'self-serving criminal.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:18 pm
Well, I think "snug to the extreme" is a better description. How about pathological narcissism or **** eating grinning desease. Or smugness in delusional proportions. Condescending is really the best description. Evil gives entirely too much credit.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 05:00 am
golly goodness...and the Pentagon is paying them too...what a surprise

Quote:
The Web sites are examples of what the military calls "information operations," or programs designed to influence public opinion by countering what the Pentagon considers to be misinformation or lies that circulate in the international news media. The Pentagon's use of the Web sites has raised questions about blurring the lines between legitimate news and what some would
http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2005/02/04/pentagon/index.html
0 Replies