Best War film ever

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 09:23 am
Ran, yes, I liked Ran. Haven't even gotten started on Japanese movies. Am still trying to remember a Russian one, older, and somehow I don't think it was Alexander Nevsky.

Wertmuller's Seven Beauties was interesting, over the top in many ways. I can't come out with a favorite since I've seen many movies about war that got to me, mostly quite a while ago.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 09:31 am
Could be the war romance, "The Cranes Are Flying."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050634/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 09:33 am
Or,

"The End of St. Petersburg" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018066/

Or, another, a war of politics around WWI:

"October: Ten Days That Shook the World" (also Eisenstein with a co-director) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018217/
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 09:42 am
'Fires on the Plain' and 'The Burmese Harp' are powerful anti-war films as well.
http://www.waggish.org/2004/11/fires_on_the_plain.html
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Bungalow/1204/burmese.htm
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 09:44 am
In another thread I mentioned some other Finnish war films that I repeat here (in a desire to share our cultural and historical heritage Very Happy )

- Rukajärven tie (Ambush, 1999, IMDB listing), a Finnish film set during the second war with the Soviet Union (1941-1944), about a group of bicycle scouts who get behind enemy lines. A few Lottas are also featured in the movie.

- Talvisota (Winter War, 1989, IMDB listing), at the time the most expensive Finnish movie ever made. It aims to give a realistic account of the trials and tribulations of a group of Finnish common soldiers during the Winter War (when the Soviet Union invaded Finland in 1939). The films takes a long time to build up (total length over 3 hours), but it is all part of the intent to show it like it really was. Lots of attention was paid to details, like historically accurate clothing and equipment (including the original molotov cocktails), Russian war planes and tanks (T-26) were reconstructed from museum pieces to figure on the battle field.

- The seminal Finnish war film is Tuntematon Sotilas (The Unknown Soldier, 1955, IMDB listing), based on a gripping novel from a veteran of the Continuation War between Finland and the Soviet Union (1941-1944). There are two versions of this film. The newer version is from 1985 and is darker and focuses more on the action, of which there is plenty; this film too is well over three hours in length (well, you try and fit a whole war in 90 minutes!).

- Not so riveting, but with a documentary feel to it is the film Framom främsta Linjen (Beyond Enemy Lines, 2004, [/I]IMDD listing), which depicts the Continuation War as experienced by the soldiers of a Swedish-speaking unit of the Finnsh army (my people in other words). As in the above two films, the unit is almost obliterated in the huge battles in Karelia in 1944, but they succeeded in holding off the Soviets long enough and thus to save the country. The story is built up around the (actual) pictures taken by the protagonist.

- A very moving war film is Äideista parhain (Mother of Mine, 2005, IMDB listing) that deals with another little known side to the war: Over 70 000 Finnish children were sent to Sweden during the war were there was more food and security from Russian terror bombings. The uprooting of these children first from their Finnish families, then from their Swedish foster families is heartbreaking.

I guess all that would be needed to make the cinematographic coverage of the Second World War in Finland complete would be a film about the Lapland War between Finland and Germany (1944-1945) in which my town played a small role. Lapland War in Wikipedia
ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 09:52 am
I saw Cranes are Flying... remember appreciating it. I'm probably remembering A. Nevsky though, just as a mote in my eye.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 09:55 am
I suppose I should mention Twelve O'Clock High. I haven't seen it for, oh, hey, a half century, and then probably once. My dad did the obtaining of the film and editing of the flight combat sequences.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:57 pm
Thanx for your input on the Winter War films, Paaskynen. Most Americans hardly know anything about that little pre-WW II action when our "ally," the USSR, invaded the Kola Peninsula and lost half its ill-prepared troops while trying to cross the ice of Lake Ladoga. I didn't know of the existence of these films. Now that I know, it probably won't do me any good -- I doubt that they're available on either DVD or VCR in the USA.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:20 pm
Angels in America
Liightwizard. I strongly agree with you about "Angels in America>"

It is, I believe, of epic proportion. Is about Aids, yes, but it is also
a bitter denunciation of our value system, our corrupted political system and corrupted legal system. Tony Kushner, the playwright, has given us an exercise in self-flagellation, undaunted by both those who are easily or not so easily shocked.

The brilliance of Mike Nickols' directing is a tribute the the strength
of a good story line.
And the acting is superb! The opening scene is of a Jewish funeral being
conducted by an old, very, old rabbi. The rabbi is charmingly devout.
And the actor playing him is - Meryl Streep, in an incredible tour de force.
Emma Thompson plays several role, also tour de forces.
Al Pacino is brilliant in the role of an aids Roy Cohn, the infamous attorney in the Joe McCarthy hearings. Pacino is nothing short of geniius in his scathing portrayal of the disintegration of Cohn.

Angels in America is available in some video stores. It's a raw guts, no holds barred film that grabs you by the shoulders and shakes the s--t out of you.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:50 am
@Paaskynen,
- Tali-Ihantala 1944 (2007), Finnish war movie in docudrama style attempts to give an impression of the battle that saved Finland's independence from the Soviet Union. This is a film for those interested in battle scenes and authentic hardware.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 11:51 am
@ossobuco,
Wasn't that movie with James Stewart?
Paaskynen

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 07:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
No, with Gregory Peck.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 01:08 pm
Two of the very best war movies are Valkyrie and Platoon.
The first is about the plot to assassinate Hitler, a very poignant and tense thriller. The second is also one of the most culturally relevant films ever made - not as relevant as Halloween 6, but nevertheless stark.

0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 01:33 pm
@Lightwizard,
"We were soldiers"

Not a bad film although it's a Mel Gibson movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-hLyUZS9E

I'd say "The Road Warrior" is a great war movie. Another Gibson movie.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 03:43 pm
@imperialracing,
I missed this thread apparently. I am going to include not just films though as there a few mini-series that I believe rival or even surpass many films on the era. There are far too many to list all of them, so I will list my top 3 in no particular order(not based on realism, but on the enjoyment I had watching)

Revolutionary War:
-The Patriot
- HBO John Adams miniseries
-Drums along the Mohawk

Texas War of Independence:
- The Alamo (1960)

American Civil War:
-Glory
-The Outlaw Josey Wales
-Lincoln

Franco-American War:
-Two Mules for Sister Sarah

World War I:
-The Red Baron (2008)
-Sergeant York (1941)
-Gallipoli (1981)

World War 2: (This is the hardest)
-HBO Band of Brothers
-Saving Private Ryan
-The Great Escape
-I lied... The Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Heroes, The Big Red One, A Midnight Clear, The Desert Fox, Patton, The Fighting Sullivans, From Here to Eternity, PT 109, 1941, The Thin Red Line, Windtalkers, HBO The Pacific, Catch-22, The Inglorious Basterds, Fury, Empire of the Sun, Twelve O'Clock High, The Tuskegee Airmen, Memphis Belle, Red Tails, Das Boot, Schindler's List, Enemy at the Gates,

Korean War:
- TV M*A*S*H*
-The Front Line (2011)
-Big Fish (kind of)

Vietnam:
-Platoon
-Full Metal Jacket
-Good Morning Vietnam
Honorable Mentions: -The Green Berets, The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Missing in Action, Birdy (would be #4), Born on the 4th of July, We were Soldiers

Grenada:
-Heart Break Ridge

The Cold War:
-Dr. Strangelove
-Red Dawn (1984)
-The Hunt for Red October
Honorable Mentions: Ice Station Zebra, Firefox, War Games, Top Gun, Crimson Tide

Gulf War:
-Courage Under Fire
-Hot Shots
-Three Kings

Bosnian War:
-Behind Enemy Lines

Iraq/Afghan War:
-The Hurt Locker
-Green Zone
-American Sniper

General War movies I forgot or missed:
Life is beautiful, Black Hawk Down, Stripes, The Last of the Mohicans, Centurian, Body of Lies, Cold Mountain, War Horse, Jarhead, Letters from Iwo Jima, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Flags of our Fathers, The Killing Fields, Gettysburg, ... Ugh Did I miss any!?

Sorry, I kind of lost control at the end. So, yeah, I like movies...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 10:59 pm
@McGentrix,
You mentioned Gallipoli. I visited the area of the war, and the AnZac cemetery in Turkey many years ago, but I can still picture the memorial and cemetery.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 06:46 am
@cicerone imposter,
Top ten war movies in no particular order:
Ivan's Childhood (1962)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Gettysburg (1993)
MASH (1970)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Das Boot (1981)
Black Hawk Down (2001)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
Stalingrad (1993)
Glory (1989)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:00 am
@McGentrix,
apparently you didn't miss it

https://able2know.org/topic/42502-3#post-1224609

this popped up in my, My Posts, feed and wanted to see what i'd recommended and found your post on Page 3

FYI i said, Gallipoli and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

you said this

McGentrix wrote:

No particular ranking...

12 o'clock high
Platoon
Saving Pvt. Ryan
The Great Escape
Full Metal Jacket
Apocolypse Now
the Dirty Dozen
Guns of Navarone
Good Morning Vietnam
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Patton
Schindlers List
Enemy at the Gates

These are some of my favorites...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:52 pm
@djjd62,
I like McG's list,except I don't know "Enemy at the Gates."
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:33 pm
I avoided this thread before, because movies regarding Vietnam caused me too much pain to be able to watch them. I have gotten over now. Full Metal Jacket is a good one. Some of the ones I like are not mentioned here, such as Born on the Fourth of July, Good Morning Vietnam and Catch 22. Maybe they are off center for some, but I don't see why they can't qualify. I started out liking Apocalypse now, until Marlon Brando took it over, then slept through the rest of it. I liked John Wayne in Sands of Iwo Jima. And a number of them already listed by others. Did not especially like Saving Private Ryan.
0 Replies