Best War film ever

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 01:25 pm
Alright chaps and chapettes, I don't know if you get this in the States but we're constantly bombared with the top 100 ever programmes. Bands, Songs, Movies, Crap Movies, ADVERTS??!!!???
So to carry on from a previous discussion, give me your top War films of all time. It can be from any era, in any language and doesn't have to be a full on battle for the running time. Tell me why you love it so much. Remember it's your opinion so don't go shootin folks down in flames for saying "First Blood 2". If they loved it, sweet, move on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 20,457 • Replies: 161
No top replies

thiefoflight

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:52 pm
TAEGUKGI HWINALRIMYEO is a Korean film about 2 brothers fighting in the Korean war. I've never cried so much watching a film. It was amazing.
It is going to be released on DVD here on Feb 15.
I highly recomend it
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:04 pm
Not a war movie fan in general, but these were memorable for me (in no particular order):

Zulu- the old British sense of duty and discipline in the face of a horrible situation, always plays well, and its a plus here that the war and enemy are not cinema staples.

Glory- mesmerizing from start to finish. Only watched it once, though; too painful for repeated viewing.

No Man's Land- harrowing encounter between a Serb and a Muslim set in the Balkan conflict, black comedy with an ending that sums up the cost of war.

Also: Patton, Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and....because I loved it as a kid, Sink The Bismarck
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:36 pm
I'm not sure if this fits your definition but "The Fog of War" is the best film about war I've ever seen.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:44 pm
Kubrick's "Paths of Glory"
Fuller's "The Steel Helmet"
0 Replies

angelhaze20

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:39 am
I think "Saving Private Ryan" was a really good movie. Smile It was very graphic though, but it portrayed what war was/is like effectively. The other night, I also saw "Pearl Harbor" which was another movie worth seeing. It's not as graphic, but it's emotional.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:50 am
"The Lord Of The Flies" was allegorically about War...
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:18 am
Saving private ryan is by far and away the best war film ever IMHO

the worst ever has to be "A bridge too far" although I'm talking about films made with big budgets, I daresay you could find a worse film if you looked in the file marked "low budget"
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 10:05 am
I recently saw a biography of Eisenhower that I enjoyed, with Tom Selleck in the title role. I like the A & E Revolutionary War Special, "The Crossing," and, although it was pretty fanciful, I enjoyed the Clint Eastwood Civil War movie, "The Outlaw Josie Wales."
0 Replies

imperialracing

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:30 pm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:33 pm
Everything about "Where Eagles Dare" works -- the score which I have on CD really propels the action forward. Just thinking about dropping into that icy water always makes me shiver, though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:38 pm
I nominate "Dr. Strangelove".
0 Replies

imperialracing

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:50 pm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:55 pm
I love "Dambusters" and also PBS's documentary on the conception to finish of the operation. The movie does remarkably well documenting actually what happened.

"Tigerland" in examining the induction process during the Vietnam war ending with soldiers leaving for that war is on one of the best war films.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 04:37 pm
Stalag 17 - amazing film, it works on all sorts of levels.
All Quiet on the Western Front - ah, don't know what to say, just watch it.
Bridge on the River Kwai - Alec Guiness, incredible as always.
Von Ryan's Express - if you want to see cheesy stuff.
The Dirty Dozen - ditto on the cheese.
The Great Escape - rah rah and all that, I've seen it so many times I can practically recite the lines along with the guys. The scenes with Werner and the character played by James Garner are probably the best, even though Steve McQueen was the star. The July 4th sequence is also fantastic, starts off funny and then turns 180 degrees.
Hiroshima (not Hiroshima, Mon Amour, although I understand that's a great film. The film I'm talking about is just called Hiroshima) - devastating account of the A-bombing, with great acting from, of all people, Judd Nelson. A shivery, don't watch it alone, type of film.
Catch-22 - irony and horror, along with the senselessness of it all.
M*A*S*H - "I got bitten by a snake!" Just watch it.
Dr. Strangelove - one of the best films ever.
Stage Door Canteen - the stars turn out for the war effort. Catch the extended version, unedited, for performances you won't see elsewhere.
Since you went away - The home front during WWII, played beautifully by, among others, a grown-up Shirley Temple. She wasn't just a cute kid in pictures; she could act.
Platoon - good versus evil, the backdrop is Vietnam. Charlie Sheen's soul is being fought over.
Apocalypse Now - like son, like father; Daddy Martin Sheen has to go into Vietnam and confront Marlon Brando. Again, good meets evil, with a lot more ambiguity than you see in most films.
Glory - rousing and sad, you feel for everyone in that picture.
The Hundley - this was a made-for-TV film starring Armand Assante, about the first-ever combat sub (the Confederacy had it) and its tragic crew. Shows innovation and desperation, hand in hand.

I have yet to see Black Hawk Down and Three Kings, but I want to. I can only watch about 20 minutes of Private Ryan before I have to turn it off, I just can't finish watching it.

What I would love would be a good film about the American Revolution (The Patriot does not count; it was not a good film) and another (beyond Glory) good film about the Civil War (Gods & Generals does not count). And I'd like to see more good women in war-type pictures.

*** You can tell I love this genre.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:07 am
jespah wrote:
I'd like to see more good women in war-type pictures.

Try "The Girl with the Red Hair" (1981), a film about the Dutch resistance fighter Hanneke Schaft.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 12:00 pm
Many thanks, Paaskynen!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 12:39 pm
I'll second everything on Jespah's list, except "Hiroshima" and "The Hundley" (I haven't seen them) and "Platoon" (I just didn't think that was such a great movie). I'd add "Paths of Glory" (which Lightwizard has already mentioned) along with the following:
Wings
The General
The Long Parade
Dawn Patrol (1938)
Breaker Morant
Lawrence of Arabia
Gallipoli
Grand Illusion (la Grande Illusion)
Mister Roberts
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 06:40 pm
La Grande Illusion
Paths of Glory
Seven Samourai
Das Boot
Fires on the Plain
The Burmese Harp

All of these are not war films, but anti-war films.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:14 pm
A loy of great films mentioned that I should see again.