Best War film ever

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:41 am
Who's irritated? I was just pointing out that it has been posted before. Welcome to A2K and the film forum but it does help to read through the threads you're interested in and post something original. I will not short anyone for being new but we're not spinning our wheels here for nothing.

BTW, it's kind of irritating that you would read into it that I was irritated.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:44 am
Scientology = Amway for the brain.
0 Replies

Julius

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:57 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Who's irritated? I was just pointing out that it has been posted before. Welcome to A2K and the film forum but it does help to read through the threads you're interested in and post something original. I will not short anyone for being new but we're not spinning our wheels here for nothing.

BTW, it's kind of irritating that you would read into it that I was irritated.

Thanks. Using an exclamation mark in such a sentence would usually suggest some sort of irritation or anger on your part, also having been on other forums before I know that some people get angry over the smallest things, Im glad your not one of them.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:12 am
No -- the last part of the sentence was accentuated as there being two different postings on the same topic (someone new also didn't read through the current topics). They are also told that it's best to read through the current topics (perhaps the first twenty) and ten post a new, unique topic. It will take a lot more than that to get up my dander. One of those things may be reading things into statements that aren't there. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

Anger, BTW, on the internet is indicated by writing in all caps which is shouting out one's message (and they can't be doing it on Valium Very Happy )
0 Replies

Julius

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:19 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
No -- the last part of the sentence was accentuated as there being two different postings on the same topic (someone new also didn't read through the current topics). They are also told that it's best to read through the current topics (perhaps the first twenty) and ten post a new, unique topic. It will take a lot more than that to get up my dander. One of those things may be reading things into statements that aren't there. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

Anger, BTW, on the internet is indicated by writing in all caps which is shouting out one's message (and they can't be doing it on Valium Very Happy )

Nope, I had no intention of reading into what you wrote. Oh ya, I recall the caps lock frustration, some people are just angered too easily by others they have never met nor know properly over the internet, it's nonsensical. Well anyway we don't wanna stray too far off topic, otherwise sommeone might be writing to us in all caps.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:42 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
De Aanslag (The Assault, 1986), a Dutch film about the effect of traumatic war time experiences on people later in life. It won an Academy Award.

Thanks Paaskynen, I'll look out for this - directed by Fons Rademakers.

Peace,
E
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 05:42 pm
I've just watched the Korean war film taegukgi (brotherhood) about two brothers serving together as infantrymen in the South Korean army during the Korean civil war.

I have to say that the films portrayal of combat is incredible in it's realism.
Apart from the first ten minutes of Saving Private Ryan, I have never seen anything like it.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:40 pm
Greyfan wrote:
Glory- mesmerizing from start to finish. Only watched it once, though; too painful for repeated viewing.

In the last fight scene in glory, my 7th-grade history teacher had a walk-on role as a confederate soldier shooting down the hill at the charging union soldiers. That was pretty awesome for me, haha..

I dunno, guys, "Black Hawk Down," about the Somalian extraction, was amazing. Ridley Scott did a great job with that film, I highly recommend it.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 05:03 am
BLACK HAWK DOWN': PENTAGON WAR PROPAGANDA

By Johnnie Stevens

Hollywood produces bad movies all the time. But "Black Hawk Down" is more than bad. It is a conspiracy by the Pentagon and Hollywood to distort history and demonize the Somali people, right when the administration is considering another invasion of that battered and impoverished African country.

The Pentagon commended director Ridley Scott for rushing the film's release after 9/11. The Motion Picture Association of America arranged a private screening for senior White House advisors. Vice President Dick Cheney attended. So did Contragate criminal Col. Oliver North, as well as a group of U.S. Army Rangers.

"Black Hawk Down" pretends to tell the story of what happened on Oct. 3, 1993, when tens of thousands of Somali people, most of them civilians, fought off an attack by U.S. Rangers and Delta Force commandos in the center of the capital city, Mogadishu.

The heavily armed U.S. troops had come in Humvees and Black Hawk helicopters to try and kidnap Mohamed Farrah Aidid and two of his lieutenants. They intended to take them to a ship anchored off the coast. Aidid was the Somali leader most resistant to U.S. efforts to establish military and economic domination in the area, under the pretext of providing food aid.

source: www.peoplesvideo.org/bhd_js.htm

www.iacenter.org/blackhawk.htm

www.spectrezine.org/reviews/denny2.htm

According to New York Times critic Elvis Mitchell, the film "converts the Somalis into a pack of snarling dark-skinned beasts."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I walked out half way through this film. I was with four mates and one of them is black. I could tell the film made him feel uncomfortable. Me?
I can't stand this type of fictitional, (distorted history - untold facts - hype) pro-war, racist nonsense. It makes a mockery of truth and justice and is so obvious in it's bias as to be personally insulting no matter what colour your skin is - or what country you may (like my mate, a Royal Engineer) find yourself fighting with.

No attack at you, Francisco - but it has to be said.

Peace,
Endy
0 Replies

Able2Believe

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 01:15 pm
I might have to go with some very sad ones--- Hotel Rwanda, Schindlers List, and Life Is Beautiful. ALl incredible films-- so very touching...
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:47 pm
ENDYMION wrote:
BLACK HAWK DOWN': PENTAGON WAR PROPAGANDA

By Johnnie Stevens

Hollywood produces bad movies all the time. But "Black Hawk Down" is more than bad. It is a conspiracy by the Pentagon and Hollywood to distort history and demonize the Somali people, right when the administration is considering another invasion of that battered and impoverished African country.

The Pentagon commended director Ridley Scott for rushing the film's release after 9/11. The Motion Picture Association of America arranged a private screening for senior White House advisors. Vice President Dick Cheney attended. So did Contragate criminal Col. Oliver North, as well as a group of U.S. Army Rangers.

"Black Hawk Down" pretends to tell the story of what happened on Oct. 3, 1993, when tens of thousands of Somali people, most of them civilians, fought off an attack by U.S. Rangers and Delta Force commandos in the center of the capital city, Mogadishu.

The heavily armed U.S. troops had come in Humvees and Black Hawk helicopters to try and kidnap Mohamed Farrah Aidid and two of his lieutenants. They intended to take them to a ship anchored off the coast. Aidid was the Somali leader most resistant to U.S. efforts to establish military and economic domination in the area, under the pretext of providing food aid.

source: www.peoplesvideo.org/bhd_js.htm

www.iacenter.org/blackhawk.htm

www.spectrezine.org/reviews/denny2.htm

According to New York Times critic Elvis Mitchell, the film "converts the Somalis into a pack of snarling dark-skinned beasts."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I walked out half way through this film. I was with four mates and one of them is black. I could tell the film made him feel uncomfortable. Me?
I can't stand this type of fictitional, (distorted history - untold facts - hype) pro-war, racist nonsense. It makes a mockery of truth and justice and is so obvious in it's bias as to be personally insulting no matter what colour your skin is - or what country you may (like my mate, a Royal Engineer) find yourself fighting with.

No attack at you, Francisco - but it has to be said.

Peace,
Endy

Fascinating; never knew that. No offense taken, good to know. Thanks endymion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:42 pm
I wonder if Endymion is aware that before there was a Blackhawk Down motion picture, there was a book, and that the book is based upon a series of articles appearing in The Philadelphia Inquirer, all of which were highly critical of the former Admiral appointed by the elder Bush to be the ambassador to Somolia?

Reading Endymion's diatribe against the motion picture, but not having seen it, and having read the book, i had a particular sense of dissociation, because his description has so little to do with the tenor of the book.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:39 am
Setanta

If you could stomach watching the film, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how it relates to the book.

Peace,
Endy
0 Replies

Rumsfeld

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:35 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Kubrick's "Paths of Glory"

If that qualifies as a war movie, than this would be the one I'd pick as well. A brilliant piece of cinema.

--Rumsfeld
0 Replies

Rumsfeld

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:35 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Kubrick's "Paths of Glory"

If that qualifies as a war movie, than this would be the one I'd pick as well. A brilliant piece of cinema.

--Rumsfeld
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:58 pm
"Paths of Glory" is a socio-political war movie, revealing that politics permeates everything we indulge in. Even at the office, or in my case, the gallery. As long as people need to make decisions effecting other people's lives, we will have the disturbance of politics.

What happens in the movie strikes right across the head, making me reel with its unforgetable narrative in "just another" Kubrick masterpiece. The man knew how to make cinema a true art form.
0 Replies

eliana09

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:49 am
There are loads to say hereĀ… It depends.. but I really liked Ben Hur, and D-day.. but the best war movies were made by the Russian .. like The fall of Berlin but I'm not sure that was the English name
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 06:41 pm
I watched taegukgi (Brotherhood) again last night.
Anyone want to debate this film?
0 Replies

NWOWATCHER

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 11:15 am
i don't know what the "best" war movie would be, but i've got to say that my favourite one would be apocalypse now.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:55 pm
I keep coming back to Platoon
0 Replies