Dr. Strangelove

Coming Home

Gallipoli

Saving Private Ryan
0 Replies

conman71

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:45 pm
Band of Brothers?

Has this been mentioned? It was an HBO miniseries in 2001, and noticeably potrayed americans as the heroes of the war, but i thoroughly enjoyed it. It was incredibly historically accurate, and the combat sequences were very well done. It would be on my list.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 08:28 am
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:04 am
"Band of Brothers" isn't a film. Now if there was a topic on the TV forum of best war series.
0 Replies

conman71

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 08:04 pm
Well, it was filmed in a very cinematic style. But it would be on my top war tv series list anyway.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 08:47 pm
Marcel Ophuls' Veillées d'armes (or The Troubles We've Seen) deserves an honourable mention on the topic of war journalism - a very impressive documentary, I thought.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 08:51 pm
A few worthy of consideration that haven't been mentioned:

Porkchop Hill
The Young Lions
The Boys In Company C
The Victors
A Rumor of War
The Naked and the Dead
Stalingrad
Shining Through
Enemy At The Gates
The Cross of Iron

I could come up with a bunch more, but that's enough for now.

Well, mebbe a couple more:

Gettysburg
The Enemy Below
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 11:01 pm
Das Boot
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 01:21 am
Yeah, Das Boot deserves a second mention. The subtitled version is the stronger film, I think. If you have a good home theater rig, the re-mastered Superbit Director's Cut DVD, Widescreen with DTS sound, is absolutely stunning. I'm generally not a huge DTS fan, but this one is superb - it blows away the DD soundtrack. The Progresive Scan video quality is excellent as well. 3½ hours of jaw droppin' entertainment.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:34 am
If we're going to go German, I would certainly prefer "The Tin Drum" to "Das Boot."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:45 am
Oh - I loved The Tin Drum - book and film!!!!!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 04:23 am
Shows you how ignorant of modern times I am: I'm quite familiar with the book but never even knew it had been made into a film.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 06:41 am
Lost Command and The Battle of Algiers offer some insight concerning France's legacy to post WWII geopolitics.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 07:14 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Shows you how ignorant of modern times I am: I'm quite familiar with the book but never even knew it had been made into a film.

It was made in 1979. Here is but one site that describes the movie:

The Tin Drum Comprehensive Movie Review
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:24 am
"The Tin Drum" is inspired and gut wrenchingly realistic movie.

Also, "Europa Europa" Based on a true chronical of a Jewish boy who is mistaken for a German, inducted into the German army and managing to maintain the facade throughout the war and escape the holocaust.

Glad Timber added "The Battle of Algiers." I have an old video of "Das Boot" and it looks like it is due for a replacement. I'll try the DTS decoding.
0 Replies

CorpseGrinder

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 04:48 pm
Platoon is my personal favorite war film
0 Replies

Dan-O

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 11:02 am
The Boys in Company C
The Boys in Company C. Someone mentioned it above, that is one hard to find movie. We hunted for months before finding a worn-out VHS copy through the library system.

This was the movie I mentally compared Platoon and Full Metal Jacket to, when they came out. I can't even remember seeing a Vietnam movie worth a crap prior to Boys in Company C.

Although I never read it, I know the M*A*S*H* paperbacks have the unit go to Vietnam. I always wondered if that story was any good. Anyone read it?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 05:41 am
I have just watched Patton (finally)

It is great as a portrait of a legendary figure rather than a war film.

good
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 09:32 am
A legendary and very controversial character. The recent unfortunately crass comments by the Army officer in reference to it being fun shooting some people could make one view the movie in a different life.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:12 pm
I think this has potential to become a keeper in the genre

link

Quote:
Politicus: Politics and metaphor in next Eastwood film

By John Vinocur

Tuesday, March 8, 2005

PARIS Clint Eastwood's favorite film is always his next one, and the next one is about the six marines who planted the American flag on Iwo Jima in World War II. An Associated Press photographer caught a sense of America's unison and will in the angle of the rising Stars and Stripes, and in the bent backs of the guys who stood it tall.
0 Replies