Period usage

RfromP

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:37 pm
I almost titled this topic "Period question." That could have been ugly. Anyway, a period can be placed inside or outside of paranthesis depending on the context. I'm trying to get this correct because it's going on my resume. Here's the sentence:

Experienced and familiar with common office software
programs including Win 98/2000/XP, MS Office (Word,
Access, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). Proficient with
office equipment such as copiers, fax machines, multi-line
phone systems and peripheral equipment.

Should I leave it as is, put it inside or take it out completely?

Also, does anyone use the term "peripheral " anymore or should I change it to something else?

Thanks in advance for the help. It's tough out there looking for a new job.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 770 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:03 pm
It's damn tough.

Put the period inside the paranthesis when that's the end of the sentence. I think Roberta said the location of a question varies, but not sure on that.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:25 pm
Hmmm, I was taught the rule was to put the period inside the parentheses only if what is inside the parentheses was a complete statement in itself.

Quote:
Use a set of parentheses around a word or phrase in a sentence that adds information or makes an idea more clear. (Punctuation is placed inside the parentheses to mark the material in the parentheses. Punctuation is placed outside the parentheses to mark the entire sentence.)

http://www.kimskorner4teachertalk.com/writing/sixtrait/conventions/punctuation.html#PARENTHESES

That would make your current usage correct I think.

FYI, I'd change the "Experienced and familiar with..." though. If you are experienced then you'd better be VERY famaliar. Experienced implies a higher level of knowledge than "famaliar with" so using both is redundant.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:29 pm
Thanks roger & fishin'. I so glad you showed me that glaring contradiction fishin'. You're right, which is it? Experienced or familiar? Thanks for pointing that out. I took out the familiar part and also left the period outside the parens. It's always good to have another set of eyes to look at these things. Thanks again!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:20 pm
R--Experienced and familiar with common office software
programs including Win 98/2000/XP, MS Office (Word,
Access, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).

The period is in the right place. Don't move it.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:42 pm
Thanks Roberta, I'm going to leave it just like it is.
0 Replies