Children and Caring for their pets

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:35 am
It’s bad enough that a child gets its first pet and the parent has to care for it, but how about a virtual pet!?! My daughter wanted a Blinky for Christmas so Santa brought one. I did not realize fully what was involved. Now I find myself feeding, caring, and playing with this virtual pet so that it does not get a broken heart. Is this insane?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 908 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:36 am
Furby revisited!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:39 am
The 12 year-olds pet rabbit is not being cared for so we've issued an ultimatum. I hate to see that cutie go...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:21 pm
Link--

You are teaching your offspring that Mommie will pick up the pieces. As long as you keep the critter happy, the longer your child will be oblivious to the realities of pet ownership responsibilities.

If you're enjoying Binkie, continue to enjoy--but make it clear that Binkie is now Your Pet who was adopted because of abuse and neglect.

Sign me, Ms. Scrooge.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:26 pm
Amen, Scrooge-Lady
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:40 pm
Oh, Noddy – don’t be a Scrooge. Actually my daughter is very conscience of taking care of little Blinkie. It is just that you have to play with it within certain amount of time or it will get a broken heart. As I want my daughter to get enough sleep, I promise to play with it before I go to bed so when she gets up Blinkie will still be happy. It is quite cute actually because my daughter will tell me to remember to play with Blinkie.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:35 pm
ahhhh, that is cute.

We'll have to wait and see how long this lasts.... :wink:
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:12 pm
Quote:
panzade wrote:
The 12 year-olds pet rabbit is not being cared for so we've issued an ultimatum. I hate to see that cutie go...

You can always get another child, panzade.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 03:04 pm
Lankat--

As long as the primary responsibility is your daughters....

How peculiar to make a child's toy that doesn't tolerate as much sleep as the child needs!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 03:23 pm
Well, Noddy, you can set the alarm for up to 12 hours. Typically my daughter sleeps about 11 - 12 hours, so this is cutting the time short. Unless the last thing she does at night and first thing in the morning is to play with the pet, little Blinkie’s heart will break. She even wanted to take it to school with her – only to play with in after care, of course, not during school hours.

It is actually rather cute as we did not follow instructions carefully at first and did break her heart. My poor little girl was kissing and hugging her to make her feel better. But I really cannot believe I now not only care for two kittys (mine before having children) and now care for a virtual pet.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:32 pm
Linkat--

Motherhood Leaves A Mark on the Soul.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:47 pm
Cinnesthesia wrote:
Quote:
panzade wrote:

You can always get another child, panzade.

You're right...and think of the money we'd save...
0 Replies