Evolutionry/religious nonsense

jerlands

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2017 01:48 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The guys who rec'd a Nobel prize for developing "knock out " genes, did their work in the late 1970's. Epigenetics was a hot topic in the 90's and youve been reading it in pop science since the early 2000's. Weve been discussing it in several other threads for almost a decade.
Rosborne started the thread about the "Cracks in Creation" (the discussion about CRSPR technology last year I believe).

The Center of the Universe.. this notion has evolved through time. I personally think it a matter of perception.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2017 04:31 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
PS, whats the 4th phase of water a liquid crystal? I saw the guy that was posted is one of those "electric universe" folks, I omitted any "must read" this now. Ill wait till it comes to a youtube.

Yes, you got it and not only on YouTube but you can can also read his book.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2017 05:08 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Honestly, many of you guys have GOT to do some more reading for understnding biology. There are similar amounts of examples of evolution where an organism goes to more simple streamlined phenotypes, like males that become parasite attachments to females and live out a lifestyle that evolved from a more complex free-living form to the simpler
You have to understand that I understand biology. Don't need to be said. You don't understand that we can not replicate evolution to complexity without intelligent input. All the examples you give do not show the initial order that allows the organism to adapt was established. Its like explaining how a computer developed a program overtime that wrote novels by randomly changing lines and then putting the book on amazon to see if it sells and then only building on the versions that sell. But where did the computer and the initial program come from.

Life as we observe it appears to be an explainable a miracle. Life doesn't create things miraculously.

You do understand how the program and machinery of life works, you have not explained where the initial order and patterns came from.
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2017 08:10 pm
@brianjakub,
Quote:
You don't understand that we can not replicate evolution to complexity without intelligent input
WE have nothing to do with it unless its artificial selection. I think you need to "understand" biology at a bit deeper technical level. You seem to be coming from a single foredrawn conclusion and are only seeking information that supports your views and you ignore all the data that refutes your views.
Im leaving for a while, Ill rejoin sometime next week or thereabouts.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 08:41 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
All you guys, sold on a concept, always fail to look at all the data in order to understand the complete story. I think you give yourselves too much credit for reading aWikipedia entry which covers one piece of data(sometimes even correctly) .

I know you are used to having unquestioning acceptance of everything you say, but this statement is pure hubris.

Quote:
You should pick some subject that you feel confident that the only base of disagreement is a "different view of the same data". I actually challenge you to do that and lets see,

I've done that in the past on the plausibility of abiogenesis and you ended up resorting to insult rather than engagement.

Quote:
Remember how BEHE said sorta the same when he proposed "Irreducible complexity" . Ken Millers nd McCarty;s students ere able to trace the "IC" back to where its actual use was found out to be a misnomer

I recall an instance where there was a plausible scenario that explained one of Behe's examples of irreducible complexity but just because there is one example that is explained does not mean the dozens of others are not valid examples of irreducible complexity
The bacterial flagellum was supposedly debunked but it was later found that the simpler pin structure was derived from the more complex flagellum, which is a more plausible happening.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 09:47 am
@Leadfoot,
I continue to abjure the path that IDers take by believing that Irreducible Complexity actually says anything. Ive discussed the concepts of "flagella movement" at length (when all evidence has shown that the origin of flageller protein "motors" can be microscopically traced back and back to where a few cilia have had their functions exapted to actually become flagella and these flagella have evolved to the little "cranky motors" that seem to impress so many believers based on "Leonardo-like" graphic mechanics.

Darwinian mechanisms of taking "what youve already got and repurposing it to do something else" has been nicely evidenced thanks to Dr Behes failure to look deeply enough.(Thompson et al 2006)

Everything that Behe has presented has been nicely debunked and Im not aware of ANYTHING that has been retained by Behe himself. Hes actually gone on the record to admit the flaws of his ID presentations he made in trial an subsequent work to support his several examples of "IC". You actually need to read some more and question "Why has Dr Behe been so quiet these last 6 years"??

Quote:
I know you are used to having unquestioning acceptance of everything you say
Not really, I love debate on a subject , but Not to dwell on a point ,I do think that everything Ive said so far has been pretty well evidenced by data from the literature. Yet you say Im just using insults. (Im kind of smiling at the say you insert insults and then try to blqme them on me). [I DO recall my over reprimanding that youve failed to read what the court cases regarding Creationism and ID had to say, after several quotes from the decisions of Aguillard, as well as Kitzmiller--Youre on record tating that you had little time for tht kind of thinking]
Heres some reading for today, it focuses on Behes biochemistry and , instead of irreducible complexity, science sees "REDUNDANT COMPLEXITY"

Quote:
1. Bridgham JT, Carroll SM, Thornton JW (April 2006). "Evolution of hormone-receptor complexity by molecular exploitation". Science. 312 (5770): 97–101. Bibcode:2006Sci...312...97B. doi:10.1126/science.1123348. PMID 16601189.
^
2. Shanks, Niall; Joplin, Karl H. (1999). "Redundant Complexity: A Critical Analysis of Intelligent Design in Biochemistry". Philosophy of Science. The University of Chicago Press. 66 (2, June): 268–282. doi:10.1086/392687. JSTOR 188646.

Quote:
I've done that in the past on the plausibility of abiogenesis and you ended up resorting to insult rather than engagement.

I love talking about abiogenesis, I wonder why I was guilty of insulting anyone?? SO How about just humoring me, an old feeble man who needs to be reminded of where youve presented data on abiogenesis and I resorted to insult rather than quoting some pile of dusty literature on the subject???

. Did I follow up with NO examples from the literature?? I recall a pretty hefty pack of discussion points during which both Set and I were loading you down with hypotheses of abiogenesis models followed up by clarifications that abiogenesis and evolution are two totally different fields with different means of investigations.

Looks like were not leaving till late Saturday or early Sunday .
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 11:41 am
@farmerman,
As usual, your arguments boil down to:

'If only you had read _______ you would realize how wrong and uninformed you are.'

“If you can’t explain something to a first year student, then you haven’t really understood .”
— Richard P. Feynman

If you can't do that, I'm not interested.
jerlands

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 11:54 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
“If you can’t explain something to a first year student, then you haven’t really understood .”

Some things take longer to digest than others. Fiber for instance.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 11:57 am
We must still be ruminating
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 02:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
dont tell me what my arguments "boil down to" TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AND HOW YOU GET THERE> Im just a bit annoyed that you havent taken time to read anything Ive suggested and then you come back to complain that Im insulting you. Ive seen Feynman in lectures where students ask questions. He didnt spare the rod to placate some kids self esteem. He was often brutal but hilariously funny. Often a bit of a showman.

HOWEVER, if we can get back on subject

Where do you feel that Dr Behe has made valid points in Irreducible complexity???

What evidence do you think you share with science but arrive at ends counter to science??

Tll me true, does the belief that "Life is too complex to have arisen without some intelligence behind it" drive your thinking??

Weve talked about convergent evolution or geographic isolation and I dont think weve resolved anything to our mutual satisfaction(least thats what I feel). Id like to get back to some of those without any rancor . Im not one who dwells in thinking about the Big Picture without understanding how the small screen works first.

jerlands

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 03:29 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Im not one who dwells in thinking about the Big Picture without understanding how the small screen works first.

Yeh but that analogy is comparing apples to apples. I think what's more poignant is how transmitted information becomes a visual image. Do you really need to know that to enjoy the show?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 03:37 pm
@farmerman,
Maybe next week. Got to get ready for a weekend at the track.
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 04:50 am
@Leadfoot,
What goes off on Chrismass besides horsey racing??

We had an old horsey track in our town which was oretty much abandoned in the late 1800's Its been converted to a farmers field and Ive taken a metal detector there on numerous occasions and always come home with coins that were carried by jockeys or fans .
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 01:01 pm
@farmerman,
Speaking about horse racing, my buddy and I used to go to Golden Gate Fields near Richmond, CA, but this was back in the 1950s. We lost most of the time, but I remember when we hit it pretty big on one occasion. We treated our wives to a gourmet dinner in San Francisco.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 09:14 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Honestly, many of you guys have GOT to do some more reading for understnding biology. There are similar amounts of examples of evolution where an organism goes to more simple streamlined phenotypes, like males that become parasite attachments to females and live out a lifestyle that evolved from a more complex free-living form to the simpler.

Examples of fossils in time shows us examples of many species that evolve into forms that are similarly developed.
Once again you are providing evidence for something we both agree on,"evolution really happened". Evolution is selection and all selection is an algorithm. All algorithms follow the same pattern, there is a program containing predetermined choices that are entered into a machine that executes the choices. the following quote by you perfectly describes an algorithm running a program of selection written in DNA and the environment and executed by the machine built into the organism and the environment.
Quote:
Since most evolution is merely selection , we can see that, once a genomic expression occurs that effects a phenotypic change, this change MUST be able to live and reproduce in the environment of the moment. Sometimes the environment changes in a cataclysmic fashion, and life MUST or CANT evolve. Pure luck , we see no evidence of "Intelligent planning" despite what you wish to "Believe". We see that evolution (neo Darwinian thought process), is simple, the genotype is expressed with a chqnge in the genic complement. This fosters a change in the phenotype (There can be myrids of different forms). The most successful, the survivor, is SELECTED within the environment of the moment.
Fil Albuquerque provided this linkhttps://youtu.be/f6df3s3x3zo to a video in his post of his favorite documentaries which is a video showing past winners of the Turing Award for excellence in computer science giving speeches and answering questions. The video is 75% name dropping and congratulating each other on the elegance and simplicity of their algorithms and the machines that execute them. There is a pattern that follows throughout the video (every algorithm and every computer was built by somebody that was an intelligent person that had a name). That pattern follows as far back as we can go in the history of algorithms.

It is common scientific practice to assume that patterns and laws we observe today were the same in the ancient past. Why are you asking me to not follow this common scientific practice and assume the pattern was broken in prehistoric times when it come to the algorithm of natural evolution? I am expecting the identity of the programmer and builder to be harder to identify the farther back we go in time. Does that time factor mean you want me to throw the scientific patterns and laws out? If so, can you explain why is that good open minded science?
farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:40 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
Evolution is selection and all selection is an algorithm

An algorithm based on failure eh?

Quote:
Why are you asking me to not follow this common scientific practice and assume the pattern was broken in prehistoric times when it come to the algorithm of natural evolution?
Because its a ridiculous hypothesis. You havent discovered that its so, you are asserting that its so.(Thats religion not science) It is an evidence-free assertion and its pretty much unfalsifiable as any kind of "scientific hypothesis".

brianjakub

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 09:06 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

An algorithm based on failure eh?
An algorithm doesn't do much if there is no command for multiple options.

If life succeeds then evolution continues. If death it doesn't.

If more successful reproduction then trait continues, else trait doesn't continue or else the trait is stored for later use.

That is the algorithm of natural selection you have been beating me over the head with for quite some time now. Is that the hypothesis you are calling ridiculous?

Quote:
Is Natural Selection Like a Computer Algorithm?
Evolution News | @DiscoveryCSC
July 23, 2014, 5:24 AM

rows of computers.jpg

Analogies can be useful, but they can also distract from what’s really important. Consider a simple example. Say you are at a playground, and you hear a steady din of children’s voices at play. You notice that the sound has spectral characteristics: a particular frequency range, dynamic range, and time variation, with occasional spikes. As a scientist, you produce a mathematical model to characterize the sound spectrum. You even make a prediction: the addition of n more children will cause the intensity to rise, but not the average pitch. Finding confirmation, you call your model the Weighted Playground Spectral Algorithm (WPSA) and publish it in a journal, where you apply it to galactic spectra. What have you done?

While your model might be useful in some contexts, it obscures what is most important about the playground: the minds, emotions and needs of the children and their parents. A star’s light is not in the same ballpark (or playground) as a child calling out cheerfully, "Daddy! Watch me slide down the slide!" Yet we see a similar fallacy in a Commentary for PNAS by Nicholas H. Barton, Sebastian Novak, and Tiago Paix�o of the Institute of Science and Technology in Austria. They compare evolution to computer science.

In "Diverse forms of selection in evolution and computer science," the authors notice that a particular mathematical model, the Multiplicative Weights Update Algorithm (MWUA) used in computer science, seems to fit some evolutionary scenarios, too. Launching from a paper by Chastain et al. called "Algorithms, Games and Evolution," they find this similarity interesting, and perhaps fruitful.

The astonishing diversity of complex adaptations that we see in the living world has been produced by natural selection, over ? 3.5 billion years of evolution. Information from the largely random survival and reproduction of past organisms has accumulated to produce genomes that are precisely fitted to diverse environments. In PNAS, Chastain et al. show that natural selection on freely recombining populations is equivalent to the multiplicative weights update algorithm (MWUA), an efficient optimization algorithm that has been discovered many times in computer science, statistics, and economics. Whether this equivalence explains the extraordinary effectiveness of natural selection, or conversely, of artificial algorithms, depends on one’s perspective. Perhaps surprisingly, theoretical results in population genetics and in computer science look quite different, even when they deal with essentially the same questions. Thus, the equivalence identified by Chastain et al. allows these different results to be transferred between fields in both directions. (Emphasis added.)

The obvious problem with this line of thinking is that evolution has no algorithm! By definition, it is aimless, unguided, and mindless — unlike an economist, statistician, or computer scientist. Like the playground voices compared to stellar spectra, any similarities will surely be swamped by more important differences. We also see that the commenters assume natural selection created all the "astonishing diversity of complex adaptations" in the living world, forcing them to try to fit an intelligent-design algorithm on what they believe originated by chance. Here’s how Chastain et al. commit the same question-begging error:

Even the most seasoned students of evolution, starting with Darwin himself, have occasionally expressed amazement that the mechanism of natural selection has produced the whole of Life as we see it around us. There is a computational way to articulate the same amazement: "What algorithm could possibly achieve all this in a mere three and a half billion years?" In this paper we propose an answer: We demonstrate that in the regime of weak selection, the standard equations of population genetics describing natural selection in the presence of sex become identical to those of a repeated game between genes played according to multiplicative weight updates (MWUA), an algorithm known in computer science to be surprisingly powerful and versatile. MWUA maximizes a tradeoff between cumulative performance and entropy, which suggests a new view on the maintenance of diversity in evolution.

Once again, they first assume evolution, then try to force-fit an intelligently designed algorithm (MWUA) onto the whole of life. This is fallacious. It takes a mind to assign weights, play games to win, and run algorithms. It takes a mind to recognize a tradeoff, measure performance, and counteract entropy. A mindless world is incapable of such things. The authors have merely transferred their own mental activity onto a world that they must assume, being Darwinists, is blind and uncaring. Barton and colleagues never quite catch the absurdity of the comparison:

Although computer science and evolutionary biology appear to be very different fields, there are some surprisingly close parallels, which are apparent if one thinks of natural selection as providing a general algorithm by which populations can efficiently learn about their environment. Although the questions in each field differ, there are common themes — not least, how rapidly can evolutionary algorithms act? In computer science terms, what is the complexity of an evolutionary algorithm, or in other words, how does the runtime scale with the dimensionality of the environment, genome size, population size, and so on? It is striking that, although these different fields deal with similar problems, their theoretical structures are quite different, giving an opportunity for fruitful transfer.

The only algorithm possible for evolutionary theory is what we might dub (after Berlinski) the SDLA: the "Sheer Dumb Luck" Algorithm. Unfortunately, that algorithm is weighted heavily in favor of entropy and extinction. We would hope that Darwinists would not try to transfer their algorithm back onto the computer scientists. It may be too late for the economists
https://evolutionnews.org/2014/07/is_natural_sele/

As you can see from this article in evolution news I am not the first to notice this pattern. But as you see by the comments in bold type above the editors of evolution news think this is a mistaken belief. They are sounding very close minded and biased. It seems their bias is based more on when the algorithm and computer was built and who some think built it rather than the facts presented in the patterns.

You show a similar bias. Why do you think that is good science?
Setanta

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 09:11 am
The so-called Discovery Institute (which only seeks to discover that evolution does not happen) is not, never has been and never will be a reliable source. You have claimed to be an evolutionist, and yet you rely on that pathetic, anti-evolution source? Please . . . your deceit is showing.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 09:26 am
@brianjakub,
Brian,
What makes you think an algorithm must have an intelligence or a purpose behind it?
We use the sophisticated and technical word "algorithm" and it sounds like something created in the mind of a genius to run computer programs, but it's not a formula that must be followed, it's simply a description of how things are.
In a computer, the programmer makes the rules, in the real world, the rules are the laws of nature. Of course your position is that God made the rules. So we're in exactly the same place and the algorithm analogy adds nothing to the argument
farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 11:26 am
@brianjakub,
So we then rotate back into Discovery Institute propoganda.(Either you are wondrously ignorant of its "wedge documents" or else you blend totally within their way of thinking.) Wither way, you dont seem to be guilty of doing any independent thinking on this

The problem with the DI "Demskiites" is that the algorithm considered are so single independent variable and simple minded. Demski never considers the fully interdependent spider web of edaphics, life, species numbers, etc etc.
The "intelligence factor" never considers that all species can result in the extermination of other species until an entire ecosystem is lost and which can negatively effect even other ecosystems. Or , as a well known paleontologist stated "Nature always bats last"

When almost all the variables become independent, thats not much of an algorithm, its merely a lottery, .THEN the
Quote:
... only algorithm possible for evolutionary theory is what we might dub (after Berlinski) the SDLA: the "Sheer Dumb Luck" Algorithm. Unfortunately, that algorithm is weighted heavily in favor of entropy and extinction.
Whats wrong with that?? Thats really the way science approaches it;

OHH I see, it doesnt favor a personal deity.
Yet, in fact, the incredible majority of species that once lived on the earth HAVE gone extinct , 99.99% in fact(if we only consider 5 Billion species). As far as entropy is concerned, after the living state has passed for an individual, thats what's left.