Autarky

Ray

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:52 pm
When has this ever worked in history?

I mean, it seems like an ideal concept (but too bad it had been associated with fascism too), but has any nation ever achieve autarky?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 749 • Replies: 1
No top replies

bayinghound

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:25 am
If you mean by autarky, "Self-sufficiency, especially in spiritual or economic matters" you could look to a number of ancient states which were both spiritually and economically self-sufficient. Ancient Egypt would be a good example. Given that that state lasted for a millennium unchanged, I would say that it worked.

I suspect that in the history of the world there are very few examples of states not as a matter of course consistently attempting to become self-sufficient, mostly by conquering areas that produce needs.

Governments are responsible for security and making Egypt your breadbasket or having the Middle East be the repository of most of your economy's oil reserves without having absolute control over it would be to allow your country to be in serious economic, and hence civil, peril.

Of course, conquering sometimes does not prove to be a solution to the problem as the numerous attempts to annex Liege and her gunmakers proved to various European monarchs.
0 Replies