Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 02:33 pm
Just wondering if this paragraph would be considered plagiarism, or "bad scholarship"? I was asked to write a short paragraph biography on an artist and got feedback from my professor that I basically "copy and pasted" the whole thing, and that it should be in my own words instead. I completely disagree with that, but want to get a second opinion to make sure i'm not in the wrong. I included facts from the reference article (link below), and a quote that I cited properly. Below is my paragraph with the link to the article I found:
|
|
"León Ferrari was born in 1920 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He passed away in 2013. Ferrari was initially an engineering student, and later became an artist. His provocative work was famous for inspiring political activism, and speaking out against injustices—in particular challenging the authority and motives of Christianity. One of his most famous works was La civilización occidental y cristiana (Western Civilization and Christianity). It featured Jesus crucified on an American bomber plane. His work has been shown at the New York Museum of Modern Art, the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, and the Latin American Art Museum in Buenos Aires. According to a biography in the Art in America Magazine, “[León] was also awarded the Golden Lion Award for Lifetime Achievement at the 53rd Venice Biennale (2007) and the Diamond Award from Argentina's Konex Foundation (2012)” (McCanne, Michael)."

LINK: Edit: Moderator: Link removed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,233 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 06:48 pm
I guess it sounds "canned." Short paragraph biographies can be that way. Prof's mistake in assignment ....

Not very creative and certainly without any emotional input from you. It doesn't make me want to find out more about the artist.

When I read the article and then looked at his picture , I wondered why that little old man with the sweet face was so pissed off at religion.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 07:54 pm
@EmilyKate157,
Paper Rater says it's only 16% original. So, yeah, it would be considered plagiarized.
https://www.paperrater.com/
0 Replies

NishiShivkumar

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:30 am
@EmilyKate157,
When it comes to content, plagiarism is must to use tool to check duplicate of the writing. There are many like DupliChecker, Quetext, PlagScan and etc.
ranathomson

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 07:10 am
@NishiShivkumar,
In other words, plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward.
0 Replies