msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
A dip on cooler waters can be quite reviving for people who are feeling the heat.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:55 am
@msolga,
David wrote:
WHAT did the collective DO or omit that affected this Amish misfortune?
Was there something that thay shoud have done differently?
msolga wrote:
Oh please, David.
I am not even going to attempt to answer your questions
With good REASON, Olga, since my questions were to the Farmer,
asking him to elucidate what HE wrote.

msolga wrote:
I am in no position to answer your questions,

in fact I have huge difficulty comprehending them,
so it might be best if you leave any further questions
or comments on hold for the time being.
Indeed, u shoud NOT be in a position to answer them,
in that I was asking the Farmer what he had in mind.
I was not addressing myself to u.
I have no reason to believe that U are a telepathic mindreader,
to know what the Farmer meant when he wrote what he did.
Olga, I will never ask u to tell me what someone else is thinking.

Your post leads me to suspect that for some reason,
u believed that I was asking this of YOU,
instead of the Farmer. That is incorrect.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 04:00 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
A dip on cooler waters can be quite reviving for people who are feeling the heat.
Maybe for pussycats; u can try, if u wanna.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 04:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Frankly, David, I believe farmer needs to do no further "elucidating" of what he already wrote. It was perfectly clear to just about anyone who read his posts.

No, I don't believe you were asking anything specifically of me.

I just happen to be online at the moment & this just happens to be a thread I started.

Usually when you start a thread, you take some responsibility for it.

I hope that clears that up.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 04:07 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Frankly, David, I believe farmer needs to do no further "elucidating" of what he already wrote.
It was perfectly clear to just about anyone who read it.
If it was as "perfectly clear" as u claim it to BE,
then Y did I not understand it ??

msolga wrote:
No, I don't believe you were asking anything specifically of me.

I just happen to be online at the moment & this just happens to be a thread I started.

Usually when you start a thread, you take some responsibility for it.

I hope that clears that up.
Cloture??? Censorship ????
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 04:19 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

That is indeed an excellent question, David, but I am not the person who can answer it.

Could I make a suggestion?

You directed the question to farmer.
I suspect farmer might be sleeping, so he probably cannot answer your questions right now.
Why not wait a while & see if he's interested in responding to more of your questions when he's online? That is up to farmer to decide, obviously.
In the meantime, I feel out of my depth in answering your questions about this issue, so there's no point in directing any further questions to me.

OK?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 04:41 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

That is indeed an excellent question, David, but I am not the person who can answer it.

Could I make a suggestion?

You directed the question to farmer.
I suspect farmer might be sleeping, so he probably cannot answer your questions right now.
Why not wait a while & see if he's interested in responding to more of your questions when he's online?
That is up to farmer to decide, obviously.
In the meantime, I feel out of my depth in answering your questions about this issue, so there's no point in directing
any further questions to me.

OK?
OF COURSE, its OK. That 's the way we 've ALWAYS done it.
Y shoud THIS be any different ??

I expect the Farmer to speak for himself; I don 't expect YOU to speak for him.
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 04:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OK. I'm glad you see it that way.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 04:46 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
OK. I'm glad you see it that way.
I don 't think there is any other way to see it.
When we have posted here, or back on Abuzz, or anywhere,
u post and wait for an answer, knowing that it sometimes takes a while.

I don 't understand Y we r treating this as something different.
I don 't understand the reason that u chose to intercept my question
to the Farmer about the meaning of his post.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I dont know what to say that will help you understand Dave> Im getting a sort of feeling that youre attempting cross on me. If Ive missed something please be specific. However if you dont have the ability to empathise with what happened in a mass tragedy (especially living in NYC during 9/11), I cannot add to anything that will improve your understanding.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:11 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I dont know what to say that will help you understand Dave>
Im getting a sort of feeling that youre attempting cross on me.
I don 't understand what that means.
I am trying to understand what u wrote; that 's all.

farmerman wrote:
If Ive missed something please be specific.
U posted about anger and collective guilt.
I asked u toward whom that anger was directed.
To my mind: that is a very simple question.
I understand anger toward living malefactors.
I don 't understand anger toward people who were merely NEAR
the malefactors, nor anger against the bad guy 's relatives.
If u have information on this point, to better explain it,
I appeal to u to share it with me.

Accordingly, I renew my questions:
1. Toward whom was all this anger of which u wrote directed ??

2. In regard to the "collective guilt" of which u wrote:
I ask: GUILT FOR EXACTLY WHAT, specifically ??
I understand guilt in the sense that I shoud have done something DIFFERENTLY
and feeling bad about not having done it better in some designated, PARTICULAR way.

If u do not have a reply to these questions,
then I believe that u have secretly, quietly, without telling us,
CHANGED the meanings of 1. anger and of 2. guilt
in the sense that u have used this language in your posts.

IF that is what has happened,
then please let us know what u have in mind as to these new definitions.

Thank u for your efforts in clarifying this.

David
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:19 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
How long, do you think, before the youngest members of that family move out & onto other locations?

The 5th of Never, the way it's going.

From what we understand, the parents have plans to move into somewhere else when dad retires in about 5 years.

We also have tentative plans to move from our 3 bedroom townhouse into a 2 bedroom apartment. We're waiting for the "right time".
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:29 am
Farmer,
I consider it to be an act of both respect (for your mind)
and admiration for your ability to reason, that I CARE enuf
to request an explanation of your thinking, as expressed in your posts.

If a fool or if a lunatic posted on this forum
(which has happened), I woud not care about his opinion of anything,
woud disregard it, and in some cases maybe put him on Ignore, if he were bad enuf.

I have always cared about human thought processes, including yours.
What u posted about anger directed toward people who are not at fault
and when u wrote about "collective guilt" those points were INTERESTING to me, altho not clear.
I do not deny that u are accurate about their existence,
but I do not understand how that works in people 's minds
nor how it is manifested upon the deceased bad guy 's relatives.

I hope to be better educated as a result of your elucidation hereof.

When I post,
I endeavor to be as clear as possible, in order to make myself understood.

This is my last effort
to elicit a reply
to my requests for greater clarity
so that I can understand what u had in mind when u posted.

David
msolga

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 03:56 am
@Reyn,
Quote:
The 5th of Never, the way it's going

Sorry to hear that, Reyn.

A few more years (at the least) to go.

Poor you, poor Mrs R.

Commiserations.

Just curious. I assume you've attempted to talk with the parents about what regularly occurs while their away?

What has their response been?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Sorry to disappoint you, David. It's me again. Not farmer.

First, let me clear up a few things. There was no attempt on my part to "censure" your posted comments earlier in the thread. For starters, there is nothing that requires censuring about the Amish killings. All the information anyone could possibly want about the subject is out there. There are no taboos I'm aware of. Even if I wanted to censure, or bring about "closure" of a discussion, that is not within my power (or anyone else's) here. A2K doesn't work like that.

No, yesterday I was responding (rather clumsily, I think, looking back over my posts) to what I saw as a digression from the thread topic. I was simply trying to cut down on the number of posts coming from you, David, because I believed you were digressing the thread off-topic to pursue your unique individual concerns about the Amish killings.

Personally, up until then, I had found the details of A2Kers lives within their communities, pretty fascinating. I wanted to hear more, from more people. As I believe others here did, too. You might have noticed that there have been almost no posters since your series of posts, apart from Reyn today. (thank you, Reyn.) That is often the case when a thread receives a series of off-topic posts. It loses direction.

Anyway ... (as the instigator of this thread) :

I want to comment on your (repeated) request from farmer for "elucidation" & "clarification" about the Amish killings. (And let me make it clear, I don't think farmer needs any defending. He is more than capable of looking after himself. We all know that.)

David, everyone else but you "gets" the Amish killings & the repercussions on that community. Same as everyone "gets" 9/11 & the impact on New York. I live on the other side of the planet, yet somehow I can "get" these things but you, a US citizen, require special clarification. I suspect the reasons for this are in an earlier post to me about the Amish killings:

Quote:
I don 't remember the event with specific clarity.
All I remember is that some nut shot up an Amish schoolhouse.

If that's all you know, then frankly, I think you might take a bit more responsibility for your own knowledge & understanding. There is absolutely no need to be so passive about acquiring knowledge about an event that happened in your own country, for heaven's sake! No A2Ker is obliged to take that on that responsibility. It's yours.

May I suggest Wikipedia as a reasonably good starting point for you?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_school_shooting

That said, I have another motive here. I enjoy farmer's posts about his community immensely. I know others here do, too. And I feel some responsibility here, because I asked him to comment on the Amish killings. Which he did, in depth. I think he, or anyone else here, should simply say as much as they want & leave it at that. When they believe they've said enough we should just accept that.

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:39 am
@farmerman,
That Amish response was lovely.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:50 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you, David. It's me again. Not farmer.

First, let me clear up a few things. There was no attempt on my part to "censure" your posted comments earlier in the thread. For starters, there is nothing that requires censuring about the Amish killings. All the information anyone could possibly want about the subject is out there. There are no taboos I'm aware of. Even if I wanted to censure, or bring about "closure" of a discussion, that is not within my power (or anyone else's) here. A2K doesn't work like that.

No, yesterday I was responding (rather clumsily, I think, looking back over my posts) to what I saw as a digression from the thread topic. I was simply trying to cut down on the number of posts coming from you, David, because I believed you were digressing the thread off-topic to pursue your unique individual concerns about the Amish killings.

Personally, up until then, I had found the details of A2Kers lives within their communities, pretty fascinating. I wanted to hear more, from more people. As I believe others here did, too. You might have noticed that there have been almost no posters since your series of posts, apart from Reyn today. (thank you, Reyn.) That is often the case when a thread receives a series of off-topic posts. It loses direction.

Anyway ... (as the instigator of this thread) :

I want to comment on your (repeated) request from farmer for "elucidation" & "clarification" about the Amish killings. (And let me make it clear, I don't think farmer needs any defending. He is more than capable of looking after himself. We all know that.)

David, everyone else but you "gets" the Amish killings & the repercussions on that community. Same as everyone "gets" 9/11 & the impact on New York. I live on the other side of the planet, yet somehow I can "get" these things but you, a US citizen, require special clarification. I suspect the reasons for this are in an earlier post to me about the Amish killings:

Quote:
I don 't remember the event with specific clarity.
All I remember is that some nut shot up an Amish schoolhouse.

If that's all you know, then frankly, I think you might take a bit more responsibility for your own knowledge & understanding. There is absolutely no need to be so passive about acquiring knowledge about an event that happened in your own country, for heaven's sake! No A2Ker is obliged to take that on that responsibility. It's yours.

May I suggest Wikipedia as a reasonably good starting point for you?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_school_shooting

That said, I have another motive here. I enjoy farmer's posts about his community immensely. I know others here do, too. And I feel some responsibility here, because I asked him to comment on the Amish killings. Which he did, in depth. I think he, or anyone else here, should simply say as much as they want & leave it at that. When they believe they've said enough we should just accept that.
Olga, I was in the act of replying to this post,
taking matters fairly well in hand, I thawt seriatim
by way of addressing your concerns, when there occurred
a very brief power failure that blew out my incomplete response.

I have re-constituted some of it and saved it, but my strength fails now, so u get a reprieve for a while.
Gotta get some sleep.

As a BETTER man than I once said: "I shall return!"

David
msolga

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm sure you'll return, David. But could you do us a favour? Could you limit any responding you feel is required to one post? I'd be grateful if you did.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:58 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

What she said.

i have a short attention span
msolga

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:04 am
@dadpad,
But I wouldn't mind, at all, reading some longish neighbourhood stories from A2Kers who haven't posted here yet. Come to think of it, I'd be happy to read more from those who already have! Very Happy
0 Replies