OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 11:45 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Anyway, for those of you who live in cities, who don't know your neighbours all that well ...
do you give your neighbours names like this, too?
No

msolga wrote:
And if your neighbours were to give you a title, what would it be?
I dunno.
aidan

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 11:47 pm
@msolga,
They would call me 'the American lady who's always walking her beautiful dog,'
(seriously - everyone who sees my dog say, 'she is SO beautiful) and I have to admit she does have a very pretty face:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/IMG_7465-1.jpg

I know my neighbor's names - but if I didn't and had to describe them I'd say,
1) The beautiful young Indian mother with her cute little boy and girl (I know she has a husband, but he's never home - honestly - I've NEVER seen him).
2) The apple-cheeked horse-riding, bicycling, mother and her two kids (never seen her husband either).
3) The posh, intellectual couple from Damson Cottage.
4) The nice, friendly confused woman and her sad- seeming, lonely husband
(His wife has dementia and he really loved who she was and who he's losing).
msolga

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 11:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OK. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 12:00 am
@aidan,
Quote:
'the American lady who's always walking her beautiful dog,'

That's nice, aidan.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 12:13 am
I think I might be"that lady who lives in that little terrace house & is always in a big hurry." (it's true, I am always running late!)
"whose tuxedo cat makes a helluva noisy song & dance whenever she returns home." (also true)
And "who likes her privacy, & doesn't stick her nose in your private business too much." (very true).

Across the road from me is "the lady renovating the huge weatherboard house, bit by bit."
"Who lives with her daughter & lots of other young people." How do they all fit in there?

Across the road (again) is "the lady who smiles & waves" as she speaks very little English. I smile & wave back.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 12:22 am
A couple of doors north, lives "the young, bright eyed couple with the children who scream". (When dad comes home from work & gets them really, really excited!)

Next door to them is "the ancient, gentlemanly Indian doctor's clinic"
I'd say he'd be closer to 80 than 70.
Fit, trim & extremely alert.
He's practiced yoga for most of his life.
msolga

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 12:33 am
@msolga,
About 10 houses south is the home of "the cat who lives outside".
Beautiful, fluffy creature that I always say "hello" to, because she's always there, under the big bush in the front garden.
No matter what the weather.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 01:00 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
They would call me 'the American lady who's always walking her beautiful dog,'
(seriously - everyone who sees my dog say, 'she is SO beautiful)
That used to happen to me A LOT
in the 1980s, when I was walking my large Golden Retriever-Afganistanian, Mike.
He and I were repeatedly accosted.

David
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:29 am
I like your titles, msolga!

We know enough of our nearby neighbors that we refer to them by name. Further-away ones have nicknames, though. One is just "that woman" -- she's generally very unpleasant and cut down some gorgeous, old, enormous trees for silly reasons. There is Walking Man #1 (who we have since met, but he's still Walking Man #1) and Walking Man #2 (aka Umbrella Man). They're both businessmen. There is Chilipants -- he lives somewhere nearby because we're always seeing him bicycling around. I don't know if he works at some Mexican restaurant or if he just likes the pants, but he is usually wearing baggy 80's style pants with a chili print on them. There is Photodude -- at any local event he shows up and asks people to take his photo. Not with his own camera, he just wants us take a picture with our own camera. There must be many, many pictures of Photodude around. There's Uberlibrarian, who is an actual librarian but is straight from central casting, half-glasses on a cord and all. (She's very nice though, not nearly as strict as she appears.)

I'm probably "mom of that very talkative little girl."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:58 am
We tend to name the houses (especially the new ones) rather than the neighbors. We have The Fishbowl, Stony River, The Hotel, The Castle, The Korean Dormitory, The Russian Prison, The Russian Prison 2, The Russian Prison 3, The Fountain, The New Big Monstrosity on Little Woodland, The Towers, The Fence House, etc.

For people, I'm probably The Tall Walker, half of the Tall and Short Walking Ladies. We have lots of walkers in the hood and we're mostly known by who we walk with. There are the dog walker group, the all-weather walkers, the walk/bike/dog group, the family walkers, and others. I walk with my neighbor. I'm 6' and she's barely 5'. I walk briskly, she's half-trotting to keep up. I'm sure we make quite the sight.
Eva

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:23 am
I'd be the "Lady Who Fetches the Paper in her Pajamas."
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 11:32 am
@JPB,
that's good jpb. I've named a few houses too, not as many as you.

There's "The Colombia Druglord House" so named because when it was first built (8 or so years ago) the size of it was really huge for the neighborhood, spanish style, with a big stone fence around it. I always expected a hummer, with a license place saying "Lil' Mule" to crash trough the gate, careening away down the street.

Then there's "Boo Radley's House", 'nuff said.

Oh, there's also "Crazy lady with all kinds of weird **** on her front lawn, and a cockateil screaming its head off in the back, house"
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 11:46 am
@chai2,
We have "Dances With Tractors" who lives up Pleasant Valley Rd from us. Hes an "English" (non AMish) farmer named John who, never got his clutch assembly lock- out fixed on his WHITE tractor. He once started it from the ground (he was not up in the seat) and the tractor started real good on him. Cept she was in gear and began to satrt travelling (the throttles are a slide bar located on the dash instead of a footpedal. SO he was running around, first trying to keep out of the tractors way and then running along side to get up in the seat.
I wasnt there but the news about his little "Do-si-do" with his tractor earned him the name that he now wears rather proudly.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 11:50 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
that's good jpb. I've named a few houses too, not as many as you.

There's "The Colombia Druglord House" so named because when it
was first built (8 or so years ago) the size of it was really huge for the neighborhood,
spanish style, with a big stone fence around it.
I always expected a hummer, with a license place saying "Lil' Mule"
to crash trough the gate, careening away down the street.

Then there's "Boo Radley's House", 'nuff said.

Oh, there's also "Crazy lady with all kinds of weird **** on her front lawn,
and a cockateil screaming its head off in the back, house"
Never have I named a house.
I 'll start with the Italian murderer's house, on the corner.

I did not like the Italian murderer.
chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 12:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
was he an Italian that murdered people, or someone who murdered only Italians?
chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 01:01 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

We have "Dances With Tractors" who lives up Pleasant Valley Rd from us.

A little off topic, but this reminds me of a plant nursery I go to.

They have all these pull charts for people to put their purchases on, and they've named them all.

Stop dragging my cart around
Cart Simpson
Jimmy "Cart"er
Take another little piece of my cart

etc, etc

and my favorite, the one I always look for when I go there...

Cart of Death

There's nothing like loading up some bunny ear lavendar and tomato plants onto The Cart of Death.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 01:08 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
was he an Italian that murdered people,
or someone who murdered only Italians?
As far as I 've heard, he only murdered 1 Italian.
It was his son, because their respective dogs had fawt.

David
chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ah, but if his son was Italian, so was he.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:48 pm
@chai2,
very funny..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 04:31 am
I really enjoyed reading these eloquent & funny descriptions of your neighbours & yourselves.
Wonderful. Smile
Your neighborhoods are becoming much clearer to me, from a long way away.
I am going to have to think about this house description thing, too. I could really get into that!
I would dearly loved to see a video of JPB & her tiny friend out walking. Also to be able to watch "Dances With Tractors" go through his routine.
Very funny.
0 Replies