Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:13 pm
We're rural enough that when I'm at the end of the driveway picking up the newspapers or bringing in the mail, I'll exchange waves with every car that passes. Frequently there are no cards that pass.

I don't know any of these people, but I'm sure if my crutch slipped and I fell that they'd jump to the rescue.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:37 pm
LOL @ Noddy...same here, minus the crutches.

WE have neighbors, but I'd rather not get to know them. lol

4 Sets of them.

1. My father in law and his girlfriend.

2. Parents of a friend of ours. Nice people, former law officer. I have known him since I was a lil girl.

3. Another set...recently moved out. All they did was rev up trucks at all hours of the night and fight. Lovely couple....http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/whis/whis_keule04_27844.gif

4. A group of people that I know...but would rather not have to explain why. They are also of the same last name as my husband. Family...those that you don't claim. 18 years in this family and I have never spoke to these people. Nor do I care too. They are meth dealers...they cook it...etc. And I'm just waiting on the law to finally bust the lot of them and eventually buried them under the jail house. One of these days......http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/whis/whis_boeller.gif
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:12 am
I just read all the posts since yesterday. Your stories tell us much about you as they do about your neighbours & that makes for really interesting reading! Very Happy
But apart from Region's neighbours, most of us seem to have missed out on the dreaded neighbours from hell ... the ones you dread but can't ignore because they're right in your face the whole time! Aren't we lucky? Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:35 am
One man's ceiling is another man's floor

There's been some hard feelings here
About some words that were said
There's been some hard feelings here
And what is more
There's been a bloody purple nose
And some bloody purple clothes
That were messing up the lobby floor
It's just apartment house rules
So all you 'partment fools
Remember : one man's ceiling
is another man's floor
Remember: one man's ceiling
is another man's floor

There's been some strange goin's on
And some folks have come and gone
And the elevator man don't work no more
I heard a racket in the hall
And I thought 1 heard a fall
But I never opened up my door
It's just apartment house sense
It's like apartment rents
Remember : one man's ceiling
is another man's floor
Remember: one man's ceiling
is another man's floor

And there's an alley
in the back of my building
Where some people congregate in shame
I was walking with mv dog
And the night was black with smog
When I thought I heard somebody
Call my name

Paul Simon[/color]

`
I always hated living in really close proximity to others, like in the budget-rentals flats of my student days. You could hear sounds through the wall & people walking over your head, on the floor above. Fights, children crying, noisy orgasms, you heard the lot! Always neighbours coming & going. Parties into the wee small hours in the morning (which was OK when it was YOUR party! :wink: ) And no one seemed to stay long enough for you to feel familiar with them. In fact, people seemed to go to great lengths to avoid each other & preserve what little privacy they had.
Sardines in a tin!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 01:15 am
Gosh. I've just been invited to my next door neighbours' wedding. Surprised I really don't know them THAT well! Confused
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 02:20 am
Oh, if you don't know them well, then it's easy, msolga. Tell them you're looking forward to coming, then once you get the announcement, tell them you've already made plans for that date that can't be broken, you're so sorry you'll miss it, etc., and then send some flowers or a bottle of wine. You don't have to actually go, you know.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 03:47 pm
Perhaps a lot of the wedding is going to be in the neighborhood? Parking problems and all?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:49 pm
Noddy & Eva

Yeah, it makes me a little uneasy. I know these folk well enough to chat, talk to their dogs & keep an eye on their place while they're away. They're quite nice. And that level of familiarity suits me fine. Maybe I'll just take a stroll up to the church (less than 5 minutes from here) & throw a wave & come home? It sounds as though the wedding is not a hugely formal affair.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:09 pm
Msolga--

Or you could offer to dog sit. The dogs probably know you better than half the Invited Family.

Are you invited to Wedding? Or Wedding and Reception?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:33 pm
It's a casual thing (I hope! Confused ) Noddy! "Come to the wedding!" Which I assume meets the church service. Actually, what I'm dreading is the night before ... The bride-to-be will stay elsewhere with her women friends, the groom-to-be will be home (next door) with his mates. A fun night! Shocked
Do you think, perhaps, that the coming boys' night could explain the invitation? :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:39 pm
I'm sure the bachelor party plays a part in the invitation. Are there going to be dozens of bachelors--or just a select few?

Also, I'm sure the Mother of the Groom is of a mind to Share The Festive Da--and you are the sort of neighbor to share pleasant times with.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:42 pm
I suspect their could be quite a few batchelors, Noddy! Laughing
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:00 pm
We live in an old house with two appartments and a healthfood store.

Our neighbours are very nice, we chat standing in front of our doors. I water their plants when they are away and Susanne takes care of our cats when we are gone. And this, of course, is very important for me. She loves Nisse and Mysan and takes very good care of them.

But we are not too close which is perfect for me.

There was an extremely noisy family in the house next door last year. They made me really angry sometimes, I have to admit. But other than that no problems with neighbours around here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:06 pm
That's terrific, urs! I've had the experience of living in close proximity to cat loathers & it can become quite difficult! Shocked
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:22 pm
Oh, Olga, that must be hard. Our neighbours have a dog. She is so quiet we never hear anything from her - and I am sure our neighbours can hear the cats a lot, running, chasing, screaming... But they think it is so great to have animals in the house. Which says a lot about them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:31 pm
Yes, it does, urs. But luckily these neighbours were at a previous address! Very Happy
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:44 pm
Good for you, Olga. Good night for now - at least here in Germany... ;-)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:45 pm
Night, night, urs!
And happy midday from here in Oz! Very Happy
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:47 pm
Quote:
Our neighbours have a dog. She is so quiet we never hear anything from her.
is it a basenji by any chance? they never bark.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/fun/postcards/breedpostcards/Dogs/basenji.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:55 pm
Now, one of those would be a delight, Region! My (soon to be married) neighbours have two little Jack Russells, Oscar & Ollie. Laughing They're very sweet when you meet them personally, but as neighbours? Momma mia! Shocked They are such noisy, yappy little things!
0 Replies