The Tree Cutters Came Today

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:43 pm
Well, the storm had hurled a tree across the top of my neighbor's home. The damage was considerable. Since then, she has been militant about getting the remaining trees either cut down, or determined to be reasonably safe by tree companies. The tree men told her that a huge pine on my side of the fence would crush her house like reyn biting into a Hershey bar. For a mere $1,500 they would get rid of the menace. I says, "Hold on, buckaroos, I ain't got that kind of cash." My neighbor says, "It is your responsibility (how I hate that word)" After I tell her about the dozen other trees that surround her house, any of which could bat it across the street, she went home to plot and scheme. Next day, the price to cut the tree is $1,300. "No kin dew."

The neighbor corners me a few days later. "Can you pay $600 if I pay $600?" (Cheaper still).
"I can, if you will wait until I get some money, which I am expecting in a matter of days or a few weeks."
Finally, she walks off. A few minutes later, she stalks back, and begins again.
"I did not offer to pay 50%. It is your tree. But, I will help."
"Look, the money I get is not that much. When it's gone, I will never get any more."

Finally, she gets a new price, of $900 total, to bring it down.
She tells me: "I will pay $500 if you wll pay $400. Plus, you can give it to me, $50 per month."

Truth is, I had begun studying that monster in the back yard, and the tree man was right. It went up seemingly forever. Then it forked. From that point, it looked as if it had two full grown trees sitting on top. I would not have taken on the job of cutting it down for less than twenty thousand bucks.

So, I jumped on that deal, of $400.

Today, by the time I arrived home, they had already decimated the tree population in the neighbor's yard. Unbeknownst to me, they had felled one tall pine by cutting it at the base. That sucker laid down across the street and bent the corner post to a chain link fence on the other side.

But I didn't know this. They came in, after lunch, and began taking my fence apart and I accommodated by moving some plants that I had owned for many years. They plowed up the yard with heavy equipment, destroyed the little fence dividing my front and back yards, and so forth.

But they looked mighty professional, dismembering that innocent tree, and feeding the parts to a wood chipper, all but the larger logs. These they put on a truck. They smoothed over about a tenth of the disturbed earth and threw my fence up, leaving out a post, and, shortly were gone.

I intend to surprise my neighbor and give her the full $900.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,866 • Replies: 26
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not sure you meant that to be humorous, but I did get a good laugh.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's only money, CI. Plus a gaping hole in my skyline.
PDiddie

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
If either of you have anything resembling a tree left in your yards, bundle the money tightly and throw it into the top. And then tell her where it is.

You're much too kind a neighbor for that woman to have , Edgar.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:59 pm
@PDiddie,
I don't know, PDiddie. It was a tough call for me, but at least it is over with and I can have some peace.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ed, I kinda agree with the diddy...

Has this woman earned the extra dough, as she worked you to get the tree cut?

Pride is a wonderful thing, but I am guessing she won't blink, and the next time around she will be the same ol' same ol'...
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:13 pm
@Rockhead,
She has been very generous with me in the past. The tree situation got her frightened.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
you know best, and I got no business judging...

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
"It's only money" is spot on! Most people value money over people.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

She has been very generous with me in the past. The tree situation got her frightened.
you got my respect, but you knew that already.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Don't forget to get a copy of the invoice.

You may be able to get some funds back on it.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 08:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Got it covered, ehbeth.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 08:12 pm
None of my business, edgar, but I would be inclined to give her the $400 she asked for and then to offer the other $500 for re-planting the area betwixt yall, literally and figuratively.
Could be a way to mend fences.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 08:18 pm
I have a cousin who is a landscaper. He offered to clear trees from this lady's yard for a fraction of what others were asking. He did the same for 3 of the neighbors. But he sold the wood for a phenomenal profit! Today at 53 he is a semi-retired landscape consultant.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 08:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The Tree Cutters Came Today

[...] like reyn biting into a Hershey bar.

I felt it my duty to set the record straight here, Edgar. Reyn can't eat chocolate due to a gastro-intestinal condition. Wink Now you know.

By the way, did one of the tree guys look like this?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/lumber2.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 08:44 pm
@Reyn,
<snort>

I'm seein' this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPYfaTvHT0

Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 09:05 pm
The tree guys appeared to me to all be from south of the border. How far south I could not guess.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Most of the guys who worked on our renovation looked like they were from south of the border too, but I think that's pretty common in our area. I think the general contractor pays them much less than other construction workers, although we are charged at regular "contract" rates.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:42 am
As I undertand it, the tree is on your prperty and threatens her property. Its a common occurence here in "Penns Woods", many people plant trees in developments that border their properties and which, when full grown, can be an attractive nuisance for shedding leaves etc. Also, if a tree on your yard were to be knocked over by wind and it crashes into a neighbors house, you are responsible for the damage.So, getting the tree down and being a good neighbor to pay the amount is very wise on your part edgar. The fact that she went and did all the negotiating has saved you a lot of bother .

You exude wisdom and grace . You are my hero edgar.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 04:23 am
@farmerman,
Thanks, farmerman. (Of course, the way the tree forked, it could as easily have crushed my home as hers. It was that close).