Rockhead

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
prolly best left that way, ed...

kinda glad I don't have nebbors at the moment.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:46 pm
@Rockhead,
It does no good to lose neighbors like them. There have been three or four families live in that house since I've been here. The only thing that changes, every time, are the first names and facial features.
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 12:20 am
@edgarblythe,
That has a kind of dismal feel to it, edgar. You must get utterly tired of it sometimes ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 12:27 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I see that, after most tragedies, there is some kind of "P wave" of opinion , suspicion, and retribution. We, as a civilization, are quick to prejudge and assign all kinds of blame even before the facts are in. Im sorta glad that I live where I do. Weve been able to be shown by example that we ARE OUR BROTHERS KEEPERS.

Yes. An extraordinary achievement in the circumstances, farmer.
I hope David can appreciate that now.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 12:41 am
@Reyn,
Quote:
We really only have one immediate neighbor (adjoining wall), which is to the left of ours (as you face the front). They're a family of mom and dad, with 4 kids.

The kids, all over 20 now (I believe) consist of 3 sons and 1 daughter. Dad is about 59/60, and mom is 15 years younger.

Three of the kids still live at home. The oldest moved away about 2 years ago, and good riddance!

Mom and dad have a summer cabin in the interior of the province (British Columbia), and mom spends from the end of June to the start of school in September, every year since they aquired it (about 6-7 years ago). Dad takes his 6 years of holidays and comes back home once a week for various reasons.

This has been a real sore point with my wife and I since they started doing this, as their kids (minus the daughter - she's okay) were in the habit of having many friends over and the alcohol and pot were plentiful.

The parents are "absent" from the end of June till September. While their kids are home & you have to cope with their partying during this whole time. I can just imagine "negotiating" with these young people about the what's reasonable for neighbours to have to live with & what isn't. Neutral

Aghhhhhh!
You must really dread June! What a truly awful situation to find yourselves in, year after year.

How long, do you think, before the youngest members of that family move out & onto other locations?
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:44 am
@msolga,
Today, as I was about to rush out my front door around midday & drive off, I hesitated, then decided to leave my departure from home off for a little ....

My reason was the Lawn Mower Lady. She was at her chosen task again.
A couple of nights ago, when I walked down my street to the Indian restaurant with my friend, C, she commented that our nature strip (courtesy of the Lawn Mower Lady) looked like carpet. It did! And today she was at it again. Even worse, she was sweeping up some leaves, on the footpath out the front of my house. Embarrassed So I delayed my exit.

This is not a "problem" to be "solved". Just talking here. I wish she didn't do this stuff in the midday sun. And I am trying to figure out a way to say thank you. That I appreciate what she does, I really do. It's just that sometimes, I feel a bit awkward about it.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:46 am
@msolga,
ain't ya got any cold lemonade?

(or whatever crazy thing you guys drink when it's really hot... fosters?)

offer her a glass.
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:54 am
@Rockhead,
I've tried offering her a cool drink, Rocky, after expressing concern that she looked kinda hot & tired. No, no, no. I've thanked her for her work, too.

I'm really not looking for any answers here, or seeing her as a "problem" at all, but sometimes she looks like she's really feeling the strain ... which worries me.

You should see her yard & garden! You could eat your dinner off her front lawn! Impeccable.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:55 am
@msolga,
sounds mental.

keep the cats out of her yard... Wink
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:01 am
@Rockhead,
I don't have to keep my cat out of her yard. Her ferocious little dog does that very nicely! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:27 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
kinda glad I don't have nebbors at the moment.

So how close are your nearest neighbours, Rocky?

Do you have much to do with them at all?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:31 am
@msolga,
my closest nebbor is city hall, but they go home at 5.

town's 'bout half empty right now.

it's a rather typical small town, and I keep mostly to myself, except when I'm repairing autos.
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:33 am
@Rockhead,
And that's how you prefer things?

You never get kinda lonely for people? I think I would.

(Even though I have definite reclusive tendencies, from time to time.)
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:49 am
@msolga,
If my question is intrusive for you , please don't feel you are obliged to supply an answer to oblige an internet forum, OK, Rocky?

Just pass.

That's perfectly OK.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:58 am
@msolga,
I don't get lonely for the kinda folks live here, mostly. I have a kid comes over some days after school and helps in the shop.

I just don't socialize much any more. except here. Wink

the big town is only 20 miles or so away.

I gotta crash now, it's 3am.

nite msO.
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:01 am
What day in my neighbourhood.

I just witnessed (by sound only) the first ever load argument between TitTin & his partner.

Something to do, I think, with a few ghastly days & nights of extreme heat we've all just been through. We are all tired & cranky & wrung out.

And my cat has been driving me mad with her incessant demands! Wink
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:04 am
@Rockhead,
Night, Rocky.

I'm sorry if I put you on the spot.

I didn't mean to, if I did.

Sweet dreams to you.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:21 am
@farmerman,
David wrote:
I dunno about that, Farmer; I 'm an American
and I don t have that affectation. Example?? [meaning: Will u give us an example, Farmer ??]
I was shot at some years ago in an unsuccessful robbery attempt.
It woud not occur to me to bear ill will against the relatives of the criminals.
farmerman wrote:
Like I said, you hadda be there. It was a story that captured most of the state of PA for weeks.
The newspapers and the TV stations were manipulating the people with all sorts of manufactured issues
and "questions".
There was a great deal of anger
Toward whom was this anger directed ?

farmerman wrote:
and, probably more to the point, collective guilt.
"Guilt" means emotional pain or disquiet for immoral acts DONE, or immoral failures to act,
in the manner that one shoud have acted.
WHAT did the collective DO or omit
that affected this Amish misfortune?
Was there something that thay shoud have done differently?
( like arm the victims beforehand? )

Help me to understand your post, if u will be so kind.

farmerman wrote:
SO just as people wanted to slay all ARABS after 9/11,
Let the record be clear, that I never wanted to do that. Innocents shoud be left unmolested.

farmerman wrote:
there was an immediate backlash against the folks at the trailer park
where the killer and his family lived.
HOW? What happened at that park?

David
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
WHAT did the collective DO or omit that affected this Amish misfortune?
Was there something that thay shoud have done differently?

Oh please, David.

I am not even going to attempt to answer your questions, apart from saying that peaceful people have every right to be left in peace to live their lives.

I am in no position to answer your questions, in fact I have huge difficulty comprehending them, so it might be best if you leave any further questions or comments on hold for the time being.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:33 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

What day in my neighbourhood.

I just witnessed (by sound only) the first ever load argument between TitTin & his partner.

Something to do, I think, with a few ghastly days & nights of extreme heat we've all just been through.
We are all tired & cranky & wrung out.

And my cat has been driving me mad with her incessant demands! Wink

Forgive me, if this is a dum question,
but any chance that a dip in cooler water
might relieve her discomfort? or maybe just let some drops
of cool water fall on her head ?

In the 1990s, we had a heat wave of over a week
of 104˚F. I was conversing with friends
at a summer resort. I had not wanted to go swimming,
but I coud not take it any more and hurled myself into the pool.